Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 04:47 PM

22,446 posts, read 11,969,169 times

Advertisements

Clip---You seem to have a lot of anger in you. How very sad. Let it go.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:04 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpup View Post
Thank you, Annie.
Note: "often disparaging"
Also note the date of origin, 1849.
In 1845 the USA made war on Mexico absorbing its northern territories (and Texas) into the union.
The majority of US forces were white Europeans, the Mexicans indigenous or mestizo.
The racial slur was invented to call the enemy something nasty, corruption of word or not. The word "gringo" always was and is a perjorative term that has use only if you wish to antagonise or insult someone you perceive as different and unlikable.
If you are a white European in ancestry to use it is to call yourself a nasty name--stupid!
What is really astounding is to see a continental American telling the Puerto Rican people how to speak the language and which words to use. Clearly the word gringo has different meanings according to where in the world the word is used. And to push USA PC in PR is useless.

BTW, the Nuyoricans do the same thing and they apply the USA definition of "white" to island.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:25 PM

529 posts, read 1,086,288 times
BOS, I just find my previous post hilarious, not angry. However hope you've learned a lot of things from the post , things you've never learned before in Northern Virginia. Some info might be uncomfortable but please look it up and tell me if it's anger or facts. If not, tell me how can I help you understand. I know that facts are becoming like the dodo bird these days in America but, please tell me where I'm wrong so I can help you.

Have you ever heard of Incondicionales? I bet not.
Have you ever heard how Nuyoricans use the word Blanco or Moreno? I bet not.
Have you ever heard that Puerto Ricans consider themselves an ethnic group? I bet not.
Have you ever heard what a Pitiyanki is? I bet not.

You won't learn all this on Fox News.

Anger. No enlightment. LOL

Last edited by clip314; 06-16-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 06:28 PM

22,446 posts, read 11,969,169 times
Ummm...clip?...I don't watch Fox News.

I've lived on the Island and graduated HS there, remember?

You are now just being condescending.

I'm not telling Annie to do anything. I'm telling you to let go of the hate in your heart.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:49 PM

BOS now I understand your feelings of discomfort, you're a Puerto Rican living in the states and certain facts are annoying because if Gringos read this you might think, "Ay que dirán los americanos de nosotros". Many Ricans who reside in the U.S. Are very sensitive on how others perceive us. we Always Want to put in a good face because Americans might think we're ungrateful. Sorry if I caused you distress but like they say in Puerto Rico" el cielo no se puede tapar on la Mano"

Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 AM

132 posts, read 237,283 times
Julian, where do you get the idea that I am telling you how to speak your language? I am simply asking one man to another, please don't call me names!
There are lots of bad unreasonable people, but that is no excuse to act like one of them.
I do not associate, nor do I know any of these types. I personally never have known nor do I know any Anglos who dislike or speak disparagingly about persons of Puerto Rican heritage. Most of us are totally thrilled by the kindness and quality of most people on this island.
I just spoke to a mainland tourist yesterday. He could not praise PR enough!
So please hang up your prejudices. Most human beings are not this way.
Clip, well he is not going to take the chip off his shoulder. He dislikes the US, and that applies to anyone having had the misfortune of having been born there with English as his native language. He uses name calling to somehow make him feel superior or unique. Sad!

Old 06-17-2014, 07:58 AM

CLIP: Who knows maybe sometime in 2050 when China becomes the foremost economic power, they might offer us more welfare than what we get from the U.S. I bet the statehooders then will want to become Chinese Citizens and begin pushing Mandarin.

SUNPUP: Well, that's the entire practical point. A national identity is only as good as its ability to provide protection, services, and liberties to the people.
To be waving a flag and worshipping a government only serves to push that government to abuse the very reasons for its existance.
That same kind of extreme "national identity" to demand change only serves to establish possibly more abuse by another system of rule.
Any government should always be more the servant than the master.
Puerto Rico, like any other part of the United States, should evaluate its relationship based on how best the common needs are served, not on emotion.
Right now the connexion is important and serves us well. My personal hope is to evolve like French Guiana or Martinique did with France. That takes a lot of political effort, but not impossible.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpup View Post
Julian, where do you get the idea that I am telling you how to speak your language? I am simply asking one man to another, please don't call me names!
There are lots of bad unreasonable people, but that is no excuse to act like one of them.
I do not associate, nor do I know any of these types. I personally never have known nor do I know any Anglos who dislike or speak disparagingly about persons of Puerto Rican heritage. Most of us are totally thrilled by the kindness and quality of most people on this island.
I just spoke to a mainland tourist yesterday. He could not praise PR enough!
So please hang up your prejudices. Most human beings are not this way.
Clip, well he is not going to take the chip off his shoulder. He dislikes the US, and that applies to anyone having had the misfortune of having been born there with English as his native language. He uses name calling to somehow make him feel superior or unique. Sad!
I actually never use the term gringo. I just say americano which includes everybody who is born in the continental US regardless of skin color. However, I know folks that use the term gringo in a completely innocent manner. What we have here is a difference in culture between Americans and local PR folks.

When I moved to the US years ago some terms were actually shocking. For example, I heard the term minority and I thought they were talking about those that were not 18 years old yet.

Then I heard the term in Washington DC and it was applied to the black population which is actually the largest group in the city.

Then I realized a minority is a disadvantaged person that is not caucasian. But, there is more, the term minority implies inability to achieve or to have good grades in school. How insulting!!!

I realize the term minority may be normal for you, but for someone that just came to the US is an aberration and in a sense is very derogatory.

But, now i apply US logic to the term and see what it means.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:03 PM

Sun pup, you still don't get it. I'm not trying to be mean, but you should know a bit more about Puerto Rico if you intend on making the island your home. Things aren't as simple as they seem.

We've had a national Identity since way before 1898. When Ramon Power was sent to "Las Cortes de Cadiz" in 1820. Back then he went representing the Puerto Rico people by command from the organizers of Las Cortes. He represented Puerto Rico only, not Mexico, Venezuela, Cuba or Santo Domingo. Many consider this to be the birth of Puerto Rican nationality which was in works way before the English attack in 1797.

Our situation with the US hasn't been solved , not because we don't want it, but because Washington refuses to tackle it. There is no will in Washington because they know how a Congressional sponsored plebiscite will go, Statehood! Congress doesn't want to be put put in a straight jacket telling many states ( some Tea Party States) that they will loose one representative per state in order to accommodate Puerto Rico's seven. That's why no one in Washington pays us any attention and the statehooders still don't get it. We'll be begging for statehood even though 100% vote for it, and Washington will keep on saying, not enough, vote again.

If everyone knows the outcome of a plebiscite in Puerto Rico why not act on it? Is the problem statehood? Although many here prefer to run around the bush looking for other excuses, many saying its our fault, however, believe me, if Independence won a plurality of votes tomorrow, even 50+1, Washington will move fast!

The problem is Statehood, not for us, for them!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:54 PM

Hey, Clip, I have lived in Puerto Rico for 12 years! I have never left PR. I am intimately connected with this island. It will be my home until I die. I have never felt more welcome anywhere else I have lived due mostly to the very kindly and accepting Puerto Rican people.
I have never been an apologist for the US and many of its very bad policies.
I recognise that there are many political impediments to our statehood. Every discerning person believes that USA democracy has a long way to go to become fair.
I have never said that statehood should be an absolute. We may find other ways, but without our being a part of the United States too many insurmountable problems would occur. For one thing people of PR ancestry are as much connected with the US as any other group. I think more live in the mainland than on the island. For these people being able to live and work throughout a huge continental land mass of many different kinds of peoples is vastly superior than being only "citizens" of a tiny island without the ability to sustain untold millions in a comfortable life style.
Despite problems one of the strength of the US is its cosmopolitan and varied peoples. Don't dwell over past mistakes and unfairness mostly in the early half of the past century. In my short lifetime we have come to respect and accept one another's differences astoundingly fast. This is still progressing as younger generations reject isolation of others (and name-calling).
Most Puerto Ricans by virtue of their upbringing are very kindly toward newcomers and Anglo-speaking fellow citizens. This is what we must all encourage on all racial, religious, and cultural sides that make up the big US melting pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories