Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 AM

132 posts, read 237,358 times

Advertisements

No matter where one moves on this planet, even internally within large countries, there will be differences. As our lives become more complicated and technology adds new dimensions, uprooting from one location to another.can be problematic for some. I meet many people who move from the mainland to Puerto Rico, and whether they be Hispanic or Anglo they adapt readily and nicely. Why? Because most of them prefer PR to the mainland ( myself included). For every difference or inconvenience there are many more positives.
I always like to say to a newcomer that. PR.is familiar and exotic simultaneously, and if this is considered a transition to living here is quite smooth.
The other point I always make is that the similarities amongst peoples and cultures are far more than dissimilarities. We all inhabit a very small speck of the universe, and it is absurd to keep complaining.about others from our neighbours to those distant.
Life is short, find your niche, and revel in its benefits and beauty, not concentrate on the negatives. Peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 12:34 PM

16 posts, read 24,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
He can complain all he wants, but we both know nothing is going to change anyway. Either he gives in to how things work in PR, or he ends up moving back stateside. My vote is that he moves back stateside.
It's disturbing to see people moving here, wanting to improve the island, then get criticized for wanting to improve it by those that cling to a 3rd world mentality, preferring to keep PR in the 3rd world instead of getting better. Such negative crablike attitudes are what harm Puerto Rico and Puerto Ricans alike. Yet, those same crabby people claim to be FOR Puerto Rico despite their words and actions being AGAINST Puerto Rico. To insult such people, "learn to use a map, they won't last, give them 6 months" is quite unfriendly and crabby. It's shameful.

The term “crab mentality” is used to describe a kind of selfish, short-sighted thinking that runs along the lines of “if I can't have it, neither can you.” This term is used to refer to people who pull other people down, denigrating them rather than letting them get ahead or pursue their dreams. As a general rule, an accusation of having this type of mentality is a poor reflection on someone's personality.

This concept references an interesting phenomenon that occurs in buckets of crabs. If one crab attempts to escape from a bucket of live crabs, the others will pull it back down rather than allowing it to get free. Sometimes, the crabs seem almost malicious, waiting until the crab has almost escaped before yanking it back into the pot. All of the crabs are undoubtedly aware of the fact that their fate is probably not going to be very pleasurable, so people are led to wonder why they pull each other back into the bucket instead of helping the clever escape artist.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:01 AM

15 posts, read 19,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmi View Post
It's disturbing to see people moving here, wanting to improve the island, then get criticized for wanting to improve it by those that cling to a 3rd world mentality, preferring to keep PR in the 3rd world instead of getting better. Such negative crablike attitudes are what harm Puerto Rico and Puerto Ricans alike. Yet, those same crabby people claim to be FOR Puerto Rico despite their words and actions being AGAINST Puerto Rico. To insult such people, "learn to use a map, they won't last, give them 6 months" is quite unfriendly and crabby. It's shameful.
I think referring to Puerto Rico as a "third world country" that you "just want to improve" is like shooting yourself in the foot before you even get started. Wanting efficiency is one thing, cultural imperialism is another. Just a thought. By the way, no one uses the term third world country anymore unless they're trying to denigrate the country they're referring to.

The original poster complained calling up the restaurant and getting directions over the phone would have wasted his time and the restaurant's, but it seems like driving around looking for a mystery location is a bigger waste of time.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:09 PM

10,074 posts, read 14,952,774 times
I don't think Puerto Rico fits in the outdated term 'Third World.'

For one thing, it's tied to the USA and that in itself removes the country from being considered anything-world.

The other part is that Third World is used, incorrectly though, to mean poor country and Puerto Rico is not poor by any stretch of the imagination (see here, check out who is in the list of 'high-income economies'), even if it's one of the 'poorest' territories of the USA.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:31 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I don't think Puerto Rico fits in the outdated term 'Third World.'

For one thing, it's tied to the USA and that in itself removes the country from being considered anything-world.

The other part is that Third World is used, incorrectly though, to mean poor country and Puerto Rico is not poor by any stretch of the imagination (see here, check out who is in the list of 'high-income economies'), even if it's one of the 'poorest' territories of the USA.
Puerto Rico is NOT a country or nation though. So it's questionable or flawed how stats are obtained since PR has a U.S. Commonwealth status and also ambiguous status and place within overall society.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:48 PM

16 posts, read 24,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsitruck View Post
I think referring to Puerto Rico as a "third world country" that you "just want to improve" is like shooting yourself in the foot before you even get started. Wanting efficiency is one thing, cultural imperialism is another. Just a thought. By the way, no one uses the term third world country anymore unless they're trying to denigrate the country they're referring to.

The original poster complained calling up the restaurant and getting directions over the phone would have wasted his time and the restaurant's, but it seems like driving around looking for a mystery location is a bigger waste of time.
Confusing me with someone else. I didnt call PR a country. You did. Youre putting worlds into my mouth many times in your post. Additionally, Im talking about the foolish mindsets of those on here attacking other posters that want to improve PR, whether they live in PR or not. Why do so many on here want PR to be held back, and are thus against PR?

Put down those straw man arguments. Wanting efficiency doesnt mean cultural imperialism. What if some other place found a cure for Dengue. You would be against using it in PR under the grounds of "cultural imperialism." Who are these outsiders thinking they are better than Puerto Ricans with their cure? We dont want a cure!

Anyway, those that want to improve PR are helping PR while those against improving PR and against those wanting to improve PR are against PR. Intelligent people adopt best practices. Less intelligent are complacent people with the excuse of not wanting to change due to "cultural imperialism" or other nonsense.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:08 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmi View Post
Confusing me with someone else. I didnt call PR a country. You did. Youre putting worlds into my mouth many times in your post. Additionally, Im talking about the foolish mindsets of those on here attacking other posters that want to improve PR, whether they live in PR or not. Why do so many on here want PR to be held back, and are thus against PR?

Put down those straw man arguments. Wanting efficiency doesnt mean cultural imperialism. What if some other place found a cure for Dengue. You would be against using it in PR under the grounds of "cultural imperialism." Who are these outsiders thinking they are better than Puerto Ricans with their cure? We dont want a cure!

Anyway, those that want to improve PR are helping PR while those against improving PR and against those wanting to improve PR are against PR. Intelligent people adopt best practices. Less intelligent are complacent people with the excuse of not wanting to change due to "cultural imperialism" or other nonsense.
Arguing with the other guy of using strawman arguments by using a strawman yourself. Nice

Should the whole entire world use the Anglo-Saxon addressing system? Face facts, the Anglo-Saxon way of assigning street addresses is the world minority.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:53 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,426 times
Well you are living in an anglo saxon country

Old 10-19-2014, 09:46 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Well you are living in an anglo saxon country
So are the US Virgin Islanders, but they drive on the left. Should they switch to the right?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:36 AM

87 posts, read 147,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So are the US Virgin Islanders, but they drive on the left. Should they switch to the right?
touché!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories