Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 07:16 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,263,482 times

Advertisements

Here's a few pix of the U.S. Virgin Islands. All of these are from of St. Croix, where we lived.

I'll also try to dig up the pix of the BVIs and Jost van Dyke. And St. John, which is gorgeous.

Hmmm. These don't give the description...the first is Point Udall and Buck Island from St. Croix...the second is just a scene overlooking the north shore of St. Croix. Third is Cane Bay, St. Croix, fourth is the pier at Frederiksted, and the last is the mocko jumbies, or stilt walkers, at a carnival on St. Croix. The bottom picture is sunset at Cane Bay on St. Croix...probably the most popular beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-point-udall-buck-island.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-100_0039.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-cane-bay-stx.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-pier-fsted-resized.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-mj4.jpg  

Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-sunset-cane-bay1resized.jpg  

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-23-2007 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 07:29 AM

Here's a few more...it is beautiful in all of these spots...and very expensive!

First is Hawksnest on St. John.
Second is Main St. Jost van Dyke - BVI
Third is sailing to Tortola.
Fourth is from the shore on Tortola.
Fifth is Main St. St. John.
Bottom row, first is sailing into Jost.
Last is Cinammon Bay, St. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-hawksnest-best-beach-stj.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-main-street-jost-van-dyke.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-sea-storm.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-tortola-3.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-main-street-st-john.jpg  

Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-landing-foxys-jost.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-cinammon-bay-2-stj.jpg  

Old 12-23-2007, 11:00 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,430,479 times
Sam, those are absolutely beautiful pics!! You posted them just in time, too while many of us are freezing on the Mainland.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:12 AM

16 posts, read 55,363 times
Definately some beautiful pics,,,I always enjoyed Fredericksted more in St.Croix but it is a tad run down for most,but the Beaches are lot better on East end....Great pics.....St.John is absolutely ridicluous as far as real estate prices

Old 12-27-2007, 08:55 AM

45 posts, read 181,833 times
now i wish i were on vacation there !

Old 12-27-2007, 10:11 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,430,479 times
Oh, wouldn't that be great to leave the 10 degree temps and be lying at the beach there?

Since it has a very high cost of living, what is the employment situation and the wage standard there? You'd think they would hire a lot of people for the tourism industry OR do they have enough employees of their own? I don't work in the tourism industry, but to live in a place like that, it wouldn't be a hard thing for me to do.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:26 AM

I can only speak for St. Croix, where tourism is NOT the biggest thing going...they haven't capitalized on that yet and are ill equipped to deal with an influx of tourists...oh, they get their share, but nothing like St. Thomas or Puerto Rico, or even St. John. You can make it if you try and if you keep your expectations low, but there's many a mainlander living there and working 2-3 jobs - the pay scale is very poor and there's really no room for advancement. It's sort of a closed society, too...the chances of working for the government or in the public sector are horrible, and those are the jobs with any security at all. I'll have to say, in most of the restaurants frequented by visitors and snowbirds, the "hired help" is overwhelmingly continental...but in the grocery stores, hardware stores, etc. it's almost always islanders. Or at least on the West End of St. Croix. The East End is overwhelmingly mainlanders. There's a definite divide.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:14 PM

28 posts, read 89,786 times
Sam:
Your last photo is actually Trunk Bay I believe. My wife and I have vacationed on St. John for the last five years. What a great place! We've also rented boats and been to Jost Van Dyke (Soggy Dollar, etc.) and Virgin Gorda to the baths. We have a home rented for next November with three other couples. Can't wait!!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:59 AM

May be Trunk Bay...probably is. That was a week we toured every single cay and hidey-hole on St. John! Which side of STJ do you stay on? The last time we were overlooking Fish Bay - I think I'd rather be on the other side of the island?

Old 01-06-2008, 04:43 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
Sam I Am, just what I needed or rather wanted to see today. Those blues are amazing and if I painted the sky and water those colours I bet someone would say it was unrealistic.

One or two I wouldn't mind using for some colour matches. May I?

And thanks for lightening the dark day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories