Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 03:40 AM

4 posts, read 6,463 times

Advertisements

Please help,
I am a young single mom looking to make a move to pr fort buchanan is where I will be working. I am wondering what would be the best area to live? That is near work not extremely expensive. a gated community hopefully with a near by park or something... I'm not picky just want something different I am from Louisiana so I know how crazy cultures can be. I hear a lot about crime but everywhere has it. I would like a place that has a little mix of age groups. To many ppl my age result in conflicts and drama. Can someone also tell me the good reasons of why I would want to move to PR all I hear is bad and I'm like uhhh maybe I need to take a job somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:32 PM

132 posts, read 237,389 times
I would easily say to you that Puerto Rico is a great place to live. If you already have your job, then everything else becomes a lot easier. Traffic in the San Juan area in the morning and the afternoon is horrible, so you would probably need to find a home south or west of Ft Buchanan. There are many different kinds of areas to live with prices from high to low, so you really need your employer (or someone in their employ) to show you around. You'll need a car to be independent, as public transportation except in city centre is not that good. If you prefer living in a smaller town and don't mind a commute, you'll find many such places to explore as possible home.
Settling down will take some effort, but the beauty of our island, its many attractions, and kindly people should win your heart.
Don't let anyone tell you that PR will not be familiar to you. It will be much more like moving to a state in a different geographical region with a bit more of the exotic thrown in for good measure.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,463 times
Thank you Sunpup for your reply it was well needed, I would ship my car but I wouldn't know how to go about the shipping process and yes if I do get the job there thumbs up I will try and make friends, My spanish is not that good, I learned enough to hold a small conversation but not enough to say that I am fluent do you think this will be a problem? I enjoy tropical regions and I love beach living so I believe deep down that I could see myself relocating to the island. I'm looking for a new start and I need one so we shall see thanks again

Old 10-21-2014, 07:12 AM

132 posts, read 237,389 times
Bringing a car, unless it is a special favourite, is troublesome and costly. I did it twice. It costs about one thousand dollars shipping from Jacksonville or Ft Lauderdale. Then you have to pay a state tax which is assessed on all vehicles new or old entering Puerto Rico which can be high.
You are better off selling your car and buying one here. There are plenty of new and used dealers everywhere as well as private party sales.
English is not uncommon here particularly in cities or amongst professionals. Often people use Spanish and English together! You'll get by easily, and your Spanish will quickly improve.
If you like the tropics, this is the place to be. You'll have mountain rain forests (with great temperatures and few bugs), beautiful beaches in Atlantic and Caribbean, ans even desert areas. Great hiking and sightseeing everywhere. If you like history, we are one of the oldest settled areas in America (since exploration days), so there is plenty to see. Each town has its indivudual charm and look. Scenery of outstanding beauty is everywhere.
It will be a challenge to settle down and find your niche, but once you do I think you will be happy. Everyone has different preferences, but I think life in Puerto Rico has many aspects superior to the mainland. Good luck! Ask any questions you may have.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 AM

16 posts, read 19,248 times
Hi, I am also a single mother looking to move to Puerto Rico. I lived there growing up, and I am looking into going to graduate school down there. I went back 2 weeks ago to visit, and there is no doubt that is where I want to be. Right now I am applying for jobs preferably near Ft. Buchanan, and I have applied for graduate school too. Besides the traffic, you will love it there! Make sure your child learns Spanish as well. It will help them in the long run!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories