Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:04 PM

174 posts, read 596,804 times

Advertisements

I just had a friend return from visiting Puerto Rico and he told me that while he was there, he went shopping to several large grocery stores and he couldn't believe the number and variety of tortillas and taco shells that were for sale at numerous stores. He asked about this and was told that the island is starting to see Mexicans moving there and seting up shop. Have others noticed this and how widespread is Mexican immigration to Puerto Rico ? I know that a sizable number of Dominicans have moved to the island as well as Haitians, but I am surprised to hear that the island now has an influx of Mexicans.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:14 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-Ed View Post
I just had a friend return from visiting Puerto Rico and he told me that while he was there, he went shopping to several large grocery stores and he couldn't believe the number and variety of tortillas and taco shells that were for sale at numerous stores. He asked about this and was told that the island is starting to see Mexicans moving there and seting up shop. Have others noticed this and how widespread is Mexican immigration to Puerto Rico ? I know that a sizable number of Dominicans have moved to the island as well as Haitians, but I am surprised to hear that the island now has an influx of Mexicans.
Yeah the thing is since Puerto Rico is part of the USA, and in Puerto Rico they speak Spanish, so it will be easier for them to communicate with the other people. However, I am surprised about the Mexicans coming to PR, (no offense to anyone), because how will they go to PR because it is far from Mexico. However if they are legal then that's understandable. It is also understandable for the Dominicans to go to PR, because it is not far from the Dominican Republic.

It has been a very long time since I do not go to PR, so I do not know how is it looking over there, LOL.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:33 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
Yep. I think it's a sad thing. Most mexicans I know are always talking about the glories, the beauty, the wealth, and the largeness of Mexico. Yet, here they are moving to a tiny island which many of them talk bad about or simply despise for one competitive reason or another.

I've openly talked about this subject with mexicans in a sort of tit-for-tat tone. And of course, I've heard..."Oh please, don't tell me there aren't any Puerto Ricans living in Mexico?" My response..."Sure. There are probably a few. But, I bet you there are far more mexicans in Puerto Rico than there are Puerto Ricans in Mexico." End of the conversation!

I live in Southern California, better known as northern Mexico. While I DO know a handful of decent mexicans whom I consider good friends, the fact is that the majority of the ones I've met are "less-than-desirable" people. I sincerely feel that this is so unfortunate.

They are such a hard working people with - in my opinion - a ton of potential. But unfortunately, many of them are not interested in higher education or vocational training. They prefer to cut grass day and night under 98 degrees of heat before getting an education. They take great pride for such arduous labor to the point where it seems to be a badge of honor for them. There's a running joke around here amongst contractors. They say..."you don't have to pay a mexican to dig the ditch. You have to pay them to STOP digging the ditch."

Areas in which they are predominant tend to degrade rapidly. Southern California is not what it use to be three decades ago due to the enormous influx of illegal immigrants predominantly from Mexico.

I wished like hell that Mexico was a first world nation. This would give many of them reason to return to their homeland which so many are so deeply proud of. Unfortunately, the corruption in Mexican society runs way too deep and is darn near impossible to get rid of.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:38 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Yep. I think it's a sad thing. Most mexicans I know are always talking about the glories, the beauty, the wealth, and the largeness of Mexico. Yet, here they are moving to a tiny island which many of them talk bad about or simply despise for one competitive reason or another.

I've openly talked about this subject with mexicans in a sort of tit-for-tat tone. And of course, I've heard..."Oh please, don't tell me there aren't any Puerto Ricans living in Mexico?" My response..."Sure. There are probably a few. But, I bet you there are far more mexicans in Puerto Rico than there are Puerto Ricans in Mexico." End of the conversation!

I live in Southern California, better known as northern Mexico. While I DO know a handful of decent mexicans whom I consider good friends, the fact is that the majority of the ones I've met are "less-than-desirable" people. I sincerely feel that this is so unfortunate.

They are such a hard working people with - in my opinion - a ton of potential. But unfortunately, many of them are not interested in higher education or vocational training. They prefer to cut grass day and night under 98 degrees of heat before getting an education. They take great pride for such arduous labor to the point where it seems to be a badge of honor for them. There's a running joke around here amongst contractors. They say..."you don't have to pay a mexican to dig the ditch. You have to pay them to STOP digging the ditch."

Areas in which they are predominant tend to degrade rapidly. Southern California is not what it use to be three decades ago due to the enormous influx of illegal immigrants predominantly from Mexico.

I wished like hell that Mexico was a first world nation. This would give many of them reason to return to their homeland which so many are so deeply proud of. Unfortunately, the corruption in Mexican society runs way too deep and is darn near impossible to get rid of.

Not every Mexican are hard-working people. I do not like when people say that Mexican are hard working people because not all of them are like that. The ones that you know are hard-working people because they are illegal. Also they have no other choice, so they work in cutting grass at 92 degrees.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:39 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-Ed View Post
I'm guessing this was in San Juan since it is almost impossible to find mexican food in stores here in Ponce. The only grocery store in town that sells salsa is Sams (unless you count salsa that comes in a can or bottle). Blue or white shells are non existent here.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:04 PM

174 posts, read 596,804 times
[
I totally agree with you when you talk about the fact that they always talk about how great Mexico is. This really bothers me because if there country is so good and great, then why are they here and continuing to come??? In addition ,I have seen first hand what happens when they move in to an area. It starts to go down real fast. I am seeing this in my Mothers neighborhood on the North side of Chicago. They are starting to move in and some don't even work. How they manage to buy 300k homes is a mystery to me. Then they put 2-3 familes in a single family home. This is becoming the norm. I don't have a problem with people coming to live in this country as long as its done legally. However, this is not the case. If I moved to another counrty, say Great Britain, then talked to the locals about how great the USA is , I'm sure the British would very quickly tell me that I should perhaps go back then.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:18 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
LOL Wow, its like Mexicans are everywhere now. Now they are moving to other Latino islands/countries.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:00 AM

195 posts, read 668,981 times
I know if I were in their shoes, going to PR would be a much smoother transition than going to say "Montana". Basically similar wages for similar work; possibility of cheaper living; similar climate; no language barrier with all of the same U.S. perks. Makes sense to me. I'm surprised there's not a million of them there.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:34 PM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times
I would bring quite a bit of Mexican food like salsa, tortillas and other goodies to give to a Mexican lady that lived in Ponce.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:29 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,548 times
Yeah you pretty much cant control the amount of immigrants coming from Mexico to the U.S..The numbers are probably beyond what the census says. Im Latino, I grew up in the West Coast/ and PR most of my life..I try to be polite and cool with everyone i meet. I have noticed over the years that Mexicans definately like to stay in their own bubble and way of thinking.Some can be cool, Some can be racist twards Blacks too.. Especially in Cali.I'm not sure why that is? Kinda closed minded if you ask me. It seems like Puertoricans, Colombians, Dominincans, Ecuadorians are more open to new cultures and people from different areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories