U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:54 AM

2,875 posts, read 3,413,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
chaco...the deal we have with the US is simple: .90 cents of every dollar spent in PR goes directly back to the US..with .10 cents remaining on the island. That is not a sustainable economy of any kind..that is a massive bankrupting and money movement OUT of the island and into US corporations. The US controls everything, and in exchange for that control, it provides PRs with a subsistence/minimum wage lifestyle.

You call that a good deal just because you can escape the poverty and leave the rest of your country to suffer? I would love to know what "good careers" people are blessed with in PR? Bartending? Waiting tables? Low/stagnant wages at pharma plants/manufacturing/chemical/medical devices? THEY ARE ALL LOW WAGE despite being the "big name" US Companies.

Chacho..the only ones benefitting on the island are either politically connected or the upper classes which always benefitted/never left. Everyone else is screwed...which is why huge waves of people as large as the big excodus of the 50s are leaving the island again, this time for Florida and Texas.
I made my career in mainland USA. Unlike many Latinos I've met, I was able to come to the mainland LEGALLY, go to school, get my credentials, and work in an industry that's provided well for my family for 26 years.

Did I have to leave my homeland to do better? Like most immigrants in this country. . .yes I did! Can I go home freely without a concern? Yes! Don't even need a passport to go home.

Between 1998 and 2001, I tried to return to Puerto Rico to practice my trade at home. Unfortunately, my vocation has been foolishly protested out of existence in Puerto Rico. As much as it is obviously needed, the fearful and uninformed have made it impossible for me to practice my trade in the place of my birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 07:24 PM

18,590 posts, read 16,946,796 times
Puerto Ricans want Dominicans out, Dominicans want Haitians out, Haitians just want out.

Human beings are very predictable.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM

8,750 posts, read 16,436,345 times
Edward..you forgot the first one in that chain: The US wants Puerto Ricans out..

Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM

355 posts, read 616,946 times
Not true...No es verdad. US doesn't want Puerto Ricans out. And as well, the US would like to see PR become a state.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage1 View Post
Not true...No es verdad. US doesn't want Puerto Ricans out. And as well, the US would like to see PR become a state.
Why would the US want for Puerto Rico to becaome a state?

Is that your opinion or did you read this somewhere? If so, where?

Can you qualify your statement?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 AM

355 posts, read 616,946 times
As you know in April 2010 the US passed bill HR 2499 which will allow voters in PR to determine the future of PR in regard to statehood. This bill would not have passed if the political body did not want Puerto Ricans to consider statehood. There are many articles available online in reference to HR2499 but the attached article has the specifics.

Puerto Rico could become fifty-first state - Washington Times

Old 01-07-2011, 12:54 PM

8,750 posts, read 16,436,345 times
Firstly the purpose of this bill is to RESOLVE PR's status, not to make it the 51st state. Everyone wants this resolved. Secondly, this bill was pushed by the Estadistas and created so that ultimately statehood was the only real option.

The Political body does not want statehood, but they do what to resolve the issue..as do I...whatever that may be.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:32 PM

So. . .Dominican Amaury steps up to a cigarette machine to buy a pack.

The cost of the pack is three dollars and ten cents.

Amaury reaches into his pocket, and deposits three dollars worth of change.

The machine flashes the word, "DIME."

Amaury reads the sign, pauses for a minute, and responds by saying. . ."Malboro!"

The "DIME" sign flashes again and Amaury yells at it. . ."carajo, te dije MALBORO!"

Come on laugh! It's not the greatest Dominican joke, but it ain't bad for a Friday afternoon.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,518,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
the u.s is not the only one suffering from immigrants working for nothing and not many jobs for our own people.puerto has had thousands of dominicans immigrate each year making the island extremely overcrowded and very limited opportunities for their people.opinions please.
Are these immigrants there legally, and if they are not, shall I assume they got there via boat, and if that is the case, what was the Coast Guard doing? Because as the O/P says above there are thousands.........

Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 PM

24,672 posts, read 34,771,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
So. . .Dominican Amaury steps up to a cigarette machine to buy a pack.

The cost of the pack is three dollars and ten cents.

Amaury reaches into his pocket, and deposits three dollars worth of change.

The machine flashes the word, "DIME."

Amaury reads the sign, pauses for a minute, and responds by saying. . ."Malboro!"

The "DIME" sign flashes again and Amaury yells at it. . ."carajo, te dije MALBORO!"

Come on laugh! It's not the greatest Dominican joke, but it ain't bad for a Friday afternoon.
I love Dominican jokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories