U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,129,173 times

Advertisements

With the current economic situation on the island, I don't think you have anything to worry about. In fact, the island's population stats have actually fallen. The only Latin communities I've seen have been Colombian, Dominican and Cuban, and I feel as though most of these folks move on once they've grasped the American system and taken in the familiarity of their Spanish surroundings. I have seen examples, such as the field of teaching English, where Americans take jobs that could have been suited for Puerto Ricans. On the other hand, I'd venture to say that a much larger amount of Americanos on the island are either retirees or students, so you're welcome, because that's boosting the island's economy and not taking any opportunities away. Most of the companies that bring in Americans to work here I usually find create a mess of jobs for Puerto Ricans at the same time. Immigration built this island..everyone is from somewhere else originally, I don't think it's going to destroy it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 07:20 PM

31 posts, read 153,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
With the current economic situation on the island, I don't think you have anything to worry about. In fact, the island's population stats have actually fallen. The only Latin communities I've seen have been Colombian, Dominican and Cuban, and I feel as though most of these folks move on once they've grasped the American system and taken in the familiarity of their Spanish surroundings. I have seen examples, such as the field of teaching English, where Americans take jobs that could have been suited for Puerto Ricans. On the other hand, I'd venture to say that a much larger amount of Americanos on the island are either retirees or students, so you're welcome, because that's boosting the island's economy and not taking any opportunities away. Most of the companies that bring in Americans to work here I usually find create a mess of jobs for Puerto Ricans at the same time. Immigration built this island..everyone is from somewhere else originally, I don't think it's going to destroy it now.
Yea, I think your right, most of them are retirees, and students. Are you Puerto Rican yourself what part of the island are you from?

Old 02-19-2011, 02:05 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,129,173 times
I'm American and I live in San German. I've only been here a few months but I've been very pleased with the hospitality I've received thus far. It took a while to realize that the looks I get are out of curiosity and not animosity, but once I got that together I realized just how helpful and welcoming random strangers can be. I used to pride Louisiana, my home state, on its laid back persona and friendliness, but PR has us beat. I pay tuition to Inter American, without financial aid, I pay rent, I try to buy all local produce and frequent all local restaurants and businesses. Chances are when I graduate ill move back to the States. From what I've seen on the West Coast, there are very few Americanos here just working..maybe its different in the Metro Area, but in San German its mostly students and a few instructors from the States. Up north in places like Rincon and Aguada its retirees galore.

Last edited by aab7855; 02-19-2011 at 02:51 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 PM

23 posts, read 55,842 times
Default Puerto Rico hardly has a Dominican Population

Some Puerto Ricans look Dominican because the same west indians where their..Some Dominicans look Puerto Rican because the same west indians where their..

Old 03-27-2011, 07:05 PM

23 posts, read 55,842 times
Dont mistake Puerto Ricans for Dominicans..They are hardly apart from eachother geographically...

Old 04-21-2011, 08:02 PM

35 posts, read 167,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Are these immigrants there legally, and if they are not, shall I assume they got there via boat, and if that is the case, what was the Coast Guard doing? Because as the O/P says above there are thousands.........
bout 80,000 to be exact

Old 01-27-2014, 01:46 AM

2,241 posts, read 2,781,998 times
Haitians-->Dominican Republic-->Dominicans-->Puerto Rico-->Puerto Ricans------>U.S. --the interconnectivity of migration.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:49 AM

2,241 posts, read 2,781,998 times
Dominican is NOT a race. Puerto Rican is NOT a race.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:56 AM

506 posts, read 905,746 times
Dominicans aren't the problem, WE ARE! In addition, its also the kind and quality of immigration that is coming in. Gone are the days when developing industrial economies like the U.S. in 1900, or Puerto Rico in the 1950' needed large amounts of non skilled poorly educated workers to do jobs. Now-a days these jobs are disappearing rapidly and what is needed is highly educated skilled jobs in computer science and innovation. South Korea, China and Japan learned this a long time ago.

Puerto Rico's problems are compounded by the massive amounts of federal subsidies that enter the island. These keep the Puerto Rican poor idle ( why work) thus giving an opening to low skilled workers from Santo Domingo. Jobs like nannies, house cleaners, construction jobs etc. etc. work once done by Puerto Ricans are now filled by immigrants.

The answer is, Why work when you can do O. K. receiving food stamps, SSI, PAN, WIC, easy armed forces pensions and retire at 45, and live it up on cruises and Disney World. In the mean time the island falls apart.

However once Dominicans get citizenship, they either go to NY and get on the gravy train there or stay in Puerto Rico and also get on the Federal gravy train.

In the mean time, the island looses educated workers as more uneducated folks pour in. Politicians of both parties are only there to administer the funds coming from Washington. They take turns milking the gravy train waiting for statehood expecting the gravy train to increase ten fold.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:52 PM

749 posts, read 780,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
You have made a great post. There are so many Puerto Ricans in NYC that many people may think that Puerto Ricans in NYC are not doing anything for themselves. For example, lets look at Sonia Sotomayor she is a Puerto Rican from The Bronx NY. She is doing big things. Also other Puerto Ricans have joined the Military and have moved to other states. For example, the first Puerto Ricans to arrive to the US arrived to NY. They lived in Spanish Harlem back in the 1940's. From there and on, they started to move to other states/cities. They moved to Chicago, PA, NJ, FL. This is why you see a great amount of PRicans in the East of the US, because they Emigrated to NY, and then from there, they moved to other states on the East.

On the other hand, there are many Puerto Ricans in The Bronx that have houses. So many Puerto Ricans are doing something. When you comment on that a friend of yours stated that Puerto Ricans from NYC trying to be black, that is a lie. The thing is that Puerto Ricans and Blacks live in the same neighborhoods, and in the same Ghetto's. So of course Puerto Ricans are going to dress baggy and sometimes may act ghetto. It is because Puerto Ricans live in the ghetto. It is not because they are trying to be black. It is similar to Eminem. He is from the Ghetto. When he started to rap. People were saying that he was trying to be black just because of the way he carried himself, and because he rapped. This is pure ignorance. Nobody is trying to be like anybody else. It is just that if you live in a neighborhood that is ghetto, you will act according to your neighborhood. Therefore, You will have street knowledge etc... Not all the times you will act ghetto, because not all people from the ghetto acts this way. And many of them are college-educated. I am just making a point that Puerto Ricans are not trying to act Black in NYC. Also, Puerto Ricans in NYC are very proud of being Puerto Ricans so why would they try to act something else. For example, lets take a look at Big Pun. He was from the Bronx NY and was Puerto Rican. Some may say that he was trying to be Black, but he was not. He always represented the Puerto Ricans and The Bronx to the fullest.
The fifth woman in the Forbes scale of multi-millonaires is our own Jennifer Lopez, from the Bronx...........We also have an astronaut in Cape Canaveral who is Puerto Rican. Plus Rita Moreno, who is also from the Bronx, and many others. Many Puerto Ricans have left New York City for many other states, and are doing very well.......NYC was the stepping stone, now they have moved up the ladder, and better themselves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories