U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:57 PM

87 posts, read 134,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
About your assertion that Puerto Ricans are monolingual Spanish, Thank you! At least a gringo is saying it and not some statehooder who swears that Puerto Ricans are all bilingual. LOL
BTW, if you use a racial slur, maybe inadvertently, and someone points it out - it is not polite to keep using it even if you have used it all your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 05:30 PM
mym

598 posts, read 856,012 times
i am not taking sides.

However US aid to PR is 6.8 billion. I thought 30 billion sounded high so i looked it up.

http://www.hacienda.gobierno.pr/downloads/pdf/cafr/FINANCIAL_REPORT_2012.pdf

look under 'Intergovernmental Revenue" on page 41. it's in thousands so add two zeroes to the 6,778,445 number.

Public housing and welfare expenses are on page 41 as well under expenditures which is 3,406,021,000 or 3.5 billion

interestingly education is 4.6 billion! how much do you need to spend to have good schools? or is it how the money is spent. I wonder.

theres also an intergovernmental expense of 377,427,000 so are we sending that money back?

Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
i am not taking sides.

However US aid to PR is 6.8 billion. I thought 30 billion sounded high so i looked it up.

Clip changed it to the welfare argument after I posted. He originally was talking about individuals, not governments when he said "However many Dominicans stay in Puerto Rico and contribute to our economy. Gringos on the other hand come, like they've always come since 1898" . On the other hand is showing contrast, so he was indeed saying that Americans do not contribute to PR

Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 PM

7,732 posts, read 8,783,642 times
Clip is just a bitter separatist who in typical fashion constantly bashes and insults his/her fellow Puerto Ricans and then wonders why 96% of Puerto Ricans constantly reject independence.

He/she probably posts from the safety and comfort of the mainland.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:24 AM

506 posts, read 907,071 times
I happen to live very well in Puerto Rico. My family has alwasy lived well even before 1898, therefor I am not an "Agradecidido." Who cares if 96% reject independence, this won't be decided by 60% of welfare recipients un a bankrupt colony. There will be surprises as the century moves on. APUNTALO!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikooeste View Post
Clip changed it to the welfare argument after I posted. He originally was talking about individuals, not governments when he said "However many Dominicans stay in Puerto Rico and contribute to our economy. Gringos on the other hand come, like they've always come since 1898" . On the other hand is showing contrast, so he was indeed saying that Americans do not contribute to PR
There are actually Dominican ghettos in Puerto Rico. Immigrants tend to clump up with their own for at least a generation and then their kids assimilate into the majority culture. Americans come, to get an experience with something "different" but eventually move on. No real American ghettos in PR except transient tourist areas. American investments are another matter. Americans who administer these industries come and go, hardly any stay on, investments stay. Example , Amgen, Lily, etc. etc.

Different from Hawaii where mainland Americans came in and took over, the natives were segregated and their cultutre only used for tourist entertainment.

Alaska is the same. I don't see Sarah Palin saying she's Eskimo. Puerto Rico is a tough cookie and Gringos know it!

And by the way Gringo is not like saying the N.... word or the K.... or G.... or Sp... word. On the island its used constantly, the only problem is that you might not socialize with Puerto Ricans in Spanish having a few beers in a Cafetin on Friday nights.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
i am not taking sides.

look under 'Intergovernmental Revenue" on page 41. it's in thousands so add two zeroes to the 6,778,445 number.

Public housing and welfare expenses are on page 41 as well under expenditures which is 3,406,021,000 or 3.5 billion

interestingly education is 4.6 billion! how much do you need to spend to have good schools? or is it how the money is spent. I wonder.

theres also an intergovernmental expense of 377,427,000 so are we sending that money back?

Got me there MYM, however I'm glad I exagerated to get some one here to hit the books and begin uncovering the massive corruption with Federal Funds. LOL

Puerto Rico gets almost, if not more, than Israel, but we put it to keep people from working and to line the pockets of the politicians of both parties. In Israel its another story.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:01 AM

7,732 posts, read 8,783,642 times
Quote:
I happen to live very well in Puerto Rico. My family has alwasy lived well even before 1898, therefor I am not an "Agradecidido." Who cares if 96% reject independence, this won't be decided by 60% of welfare recipients un a bankrupt colony. There will be surprises as the century moves on. APUNTALO!
Im sure the last generation of independenistas said the same thing too. In fact, there was once a time where the independence movement had actual support among the electorate.

BTW: why don't you renounce your US citizenship?

Old 02-22-2014, 12:31 PM
mym

598 posts, read 856,012 times
hey clip314 - the big number works against you in my opinion. i was looking at a list of countries by gdp and 30 billion is a good chunk of change.

it scares you cuz you think how the hell is PR supposed to cover the missing 30billion if they go independent?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=cr&ei...puero+rico+gdp

wait? what? excuse me? the island makes 101 billion? i had no idea.

about what you said about the corruption tho - check it - 3.5 billion for public housing/welfare, doesnt that work out to 100,000 a person on the island working or not?

it was 5.5% that voted independentista in 2013 so that's 94.5% against. not exactly a hot movement. still higher than the last one which was 2.5 or so. spin that as a 100% increase!

i wasnt born in pr, lived there my whole life until i left seeking adventure and fortune. the TSA guy on the way out, laughs at my greencard with my pic as a kid. why dont you become a citizen he asks? por que puerto rico todavia no esta libre mamabicho

Old 02-22-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
And by the way Gringo is not like saying the N.... word or the K.... or G.... or Sp... word. On the island its used constantly, the only problem is that you might not socialize with Puerto Ricans in Spanish having a few beers in a Cafetin on Friday nights.

]You are missing the point. Puerto Rico is a very racialized society, I know that word is used all the time- that does not make it ok. It is also ok here tocall someone a negro fino ( the meaning translation is that you are one of the good blacks), if you notice, they don't say blanco fino! Also, it is ok to saytienes que mejorar la raza (you have to better the race); the only people inthe US that say better the race are extremist groups like the KKK. Just because I find racial slurs offensive, does not mean that I do not socialize in Spanish. Despite it being highly racialized, not everyone uses those words/sayings.

You seem to struggle with some basic concepts; can I ask what your academic preparation is?

Last edited by chikooeste; 02-22-2014 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories