U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2014, 03:27 PM
 
506 posts, read 905,612 times
Reputation: 475

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikooeste View Post
]You are missing the point. Puerto Rico is a very racialized society, I know that word is used all the time- that does not make it ok. It is also ok here tocall someone a negro fino ( the meaning translation is that you are one of the good blacks), if you notice, they don't say blanco fino! Also, it is ok to saytienes que mejorar la raza (you have to better the race); the only people inthe US that say better the race are extremist groups like the KKK. Just because I find racial slurs offensive, does not mean that I do not socialize in Spanish. Despite it being highly racialized, not everyone uses those words/sayings.

You seem to struggle with some basic concepts; can I ask what your academic preparation is?

If Puerto Rico were as racialized as you say, we wouldn't have the mixture of People that make up the majority of the population. Look at the bigger picture, not at what you might hear on the super market line and then make asinine generalizations. We're a mulatto society with colors raging from White ( looks white ), brown, (Indio ) to Black. People might say things, but there is always the phrase, "y tu abuela donde esta"?. And where is your grandma?

We can't judge Puerto Rican racial society by American standards, that's why Nuyoricans always get it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2014, 03:33 PM
 
506 posts, read 905,612 times
Reputation: 475
Gringo???????

The word gringo is a term used in Latin America to refer to white English-speakers, usually Americans, especially in the context of alleged economic, cultural and political interference in Latin America. One rather fanciful theory traces its origin to the Mexican-American War of 1846-48 and the song "Green Grow the Rushes-oh", supposedly sung by the American troops. According to another theory it is a corruption of griego or "Greek", in the sense of anything foreign and unintelligible, as in the English expression "it's all Greek to me".o?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 06:00 PM
 
355 posts, read 616,990 times
Reputation: 611
Another theory is that is that Gringo is a variation on Green Coats, referring to the Irish troops that fought with the Mexican Army and other South American countries.

Así, Chipito nuestro pequeño gringo. Anyone today who argues Gringo isn't used as a derogatory term of varying degrees toward whites and other north americans is only fooling themselves. A person can explain away the day tracing the roots of the N word and where it originated including it's root words per se… But use it and see how far your sources, text book and explanations get you.

Gringo isn't exactly the N word but it's not exactly a term of endearment either.

Last edited by Sunscape; 10-24-2014 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 06:49 PM
 
87 posts, read 133,902 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
If Puerto Rico were as racialized as you say, we wouldn't have the mixture of People that make up the majority of the population. Look at the bigger picture, not at what you might hear on the super market line and then make asinine generalizations. We're a mulatto society with colors raging from White ( looks white ), brown, (Indio ) to Black. People might say things, but there is always the phrase, "y tu abuela donde esta"?. And where is your grandma?

We can't judge Puerto Rican racial society by American standards, that's why Nuyoricans always get it wrong.
I think societal observations are a very important part informing opinions about racism in PR, why wouldn't I take into account what people say to each other? I have also studied the Caribbean extensively as part of studies ( I have an MA from la Inter and am finishing up my PhD @ la yupi).

You don't think the fact that 81% of Puerto Ricans identified themselves as white on the census is a racial problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2014, 12:33 AM
 
334 posts, read 373,606 times
Reputation: 61
Dominicans are everywhere.

Puerto Ricans and Dominicans have many historical ties and occasional similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2014, 07:47 PM
 
1,554 posts, read 1,536,013 times
Reputation: 484
There has been influxes of Puerto Ricans into DR in recent times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2014, 07:49 PM
 
1,554 posts, read 1,536,013 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
Gringo???????

The word gringo is a term used in Latin America to refer to white English-speakers, usually Americans, especially in the context of alleged economic, cultural and political interference in Latin America. One rather fanciful theory traces its origin to the Mexican-American War of 1846-48 and the song "Green Grow the Rushes-oh", supposedly sung by the American troops. According to another theory it is a corruption of griego or "Greek", in the sense of anything foreign and unintelligible, as in the English expression "it's all Greek to me".o?
True.

Although not all countries use the term gringo for foreigners. In Cuba, they use the term "Yuma" to refer to foreigners.

They also use the term Yankees or Yanquis to refer to many foreigners too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 06:08 PM
 
749 posts, read 780,014 times
Reputation: 592
My question is: What was the Coast Guard doing when these people were on their way to Puerto Rico? They could have been stopped, if the Coast Guard was doing their job.

Why has the Puerto Rican Government allowed this to happen?

And what are they doing now to stop the further infiltration of illegal aliens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 06:41 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,732 posts, read 8,771,689 times
Reputation: 7139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
My question is: What was the Coast Guard doing when these people were on their way to Puerto Rico? They could have been stopped, if the Coast Guard was doing their job.

Why has the Puerto Rican Government allowed this to happen?

And what are they doing now to stop the further infiltration of illegal aliens?
The Coast Guard and the Border Patrol are there, they are intercepting them. I would venture to guess that the intercept rate is much higher than along the Mexican border ... however some illegal migrants will still slip through.

The US Coast Guard needs alot more resources in Puerto Rico, unfortunately because of Puerto Rico's territorial status they are at the bottom of the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Status: "Enjoying the moment" (set 5 days ago)
 
5,812 posts, read 8,579,175 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikooeste View Post
You don't think the fact that 81% of Puerto Ricans identified themselves as white on the census is a racial problem?
I think most Puerto Ricans say they are white because skin color wise they are. A person doesn't have to be a full blooded Caucasian to have white skin color, as anyone with well functioning eyes can definitely notice. A person with "Caucasian" features and straight hair but with a naturally tanned skin color is referred to as trigeño, because skin color wise they are trigeño.

Only extremely racist societies would have issues with people that have white skin saying they are white simply because racially they are not Caucasian (well, most Puerto Ricans are overwhelmingly Caucasian in their mixture too).

What's next? That non-white people with green eyes can't say they have green eyes? Will that be an exclusive of Caucasian people too?

Another interesting fact is that many Americans wouldn't consider brown skin Caucasians to be Caucasians, even though there are many brown Caucasians especially in the Middle East.

That's the difference between race and color.

Last edited by AntonioR; 10-24-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top