Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,075 times

Advertisements

There is an old document called Virgin Islands Driving manual available on the web which states that if your license is suspended or revoked you may apply in the Virgin Islands and get your driver's license.

Does anybody know if you can get your driver's license in VI, if suspended in the states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
The USVI is now part of the National Driver Register so if your license has been suspended stateside it'll show up here and will likely prohibit you from obtaining a license here. Best you wait until your suspension has been lifted and then you simply apply for a USVI license where you present your stateside license and exchange it for a USVI license.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:24 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,611 times
My guess is a heavily caveated "probably." Everyone has to take the written test, which is so heavily laden with local jargon that some can't get through it (or used to be). With Olive running the show again, anything is possible! We went years simply paying someone $100 (each) to get inspection stickers for our vehicles. It saved what could turn into an 8 hour day of running around getting "clearance" letters. Overburdened bureaucracies coupled with a tendency toward corruption and entitlement breeds cottage industries. I still have a valid V.I. driver's license. The Stateside authority didn't care when I was issued one in America, but I had to take both written and road tests because I hadn't had one Stateside in 15 years.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:00 PM

I saw a recent edition of the written test and it's pretty simple. Also the process has become way more streamlined than it was years ago. Here is a link to the BMV website and instructions on how to obtain a driver's license here:

USVI Bureau of Motor Vehicles

But that doesn't alter the fact that the OP's name will pop up and he should wait until his suspension is lifted before thinking of moving here and applying for a license.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:27 PM

Quick! What's the speed limit East of Somewhere on the Queen Anne's Highway? I got a 95 on the written, but had to memorize the silly book. Poor French guy took the test when I did for his 4th effort and still failed. I saw him driving around the next day.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Quick! What's the speed limit East of Somewhere on the Queen Anne's Highway? I got a 95 on the written, but had to memorize the silly book. Poor French guy took the test when I did for his 4th effort and still failed. I saw him driving around the next day.
My mother in England tried to get her driver's license and gave up after the 12th failure! We never needed a car wherever we lived but I guess she decided when she was in her 40s that it would be a good idea to learn. My brother recalls that half a dozen instructors simply gave up on her! Sorry, off topic, just brought back a funny memory!

Old 04-12-2015, 11:59 AM

What's REALLY funny is that I failed my driving test stateside. Got 100% on the written, but didn't look over my shoulder enough times merging into traffic to satisfy the military-type tough guy talking about being in the Guard during my driving exam. "We just want to teach you a lesson." Didn't matter. I still have the V.I. license and passed the second time around anyway. I don't remember taking a driving exam in the V.I., but that was over 15 years ago.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I don't remember taking a driving exam in the V.I., but that was over 15 years ago.
You don't have to take the physical driving test if you already have a stateside license but do have to pass the written test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories