Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,972 times

Advertisements

I'm a single, 59 yr. old woman who is hoping to retire in the next six years. I want to keep my home outside of New Orleans but also am trying to secure a small condo in a tropical setting. I spend vacations several times a year to St Thomas and love the Virgin Islands, both US and British, but property there is cost prohibitive for me. Looking at on line real estate prices for PR, pricing is well within my price range. I'm also reading alot about high crime rates, home invasions and an increasing murder rate. Would like some input form those of you that know Puerto Rico and are aware of the issues I've mentioned here.

Last edited by Islandgirl1456; 04-06-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 01:54 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,932,938 times
Just like anywhere else, crime rates vary with locations. I only spent a week in PR in December 13 but the main place where we stayed (an apartment few minutes from the beach) south of Rincon near Mayaquez airport was very tranquil and safe. We also went to the several Eastern shore beaches from Aguadilla to Cabo Rojo and Boqueron and felt quite safe as well. We only spent a day in San Juan so I could not tell whether there wee any 'seedy', unsafe areas but all the places we visited were well kept and orderly.

Your best bet is to research online for a possible relocation place, learn as much as you can about the area before checking it out in person. If you like the place, you may want to consider having an extended vacation, renting a bnb or a condo for a while before making any long term plan.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:12 PM

41 posts, read 74,043 times
Hope this thread can get more posters.
Also very interested in PR
Its airport remains a gateway to S America, so I would think a condo would hold its value if we assume that hits to prices are already largely built in because of all the bad news.

That is a "big if"

Condos have dropped in price. I see many sellers are accepting offers about 15-20% below list.

So, the market appears depressed, but it is very hard for me to find any statistics on median list price, percent of houses selling below list, average price per sq ft in the condo market over time, etc....

Anyone have any sources for tracking the real estate market in or around San Juan, particularly condo market (second home).

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2015, 11:11 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Puerto Rico also has a program where people from the upper states move there they get a big tax break. High Income folks

Old 07-22-2015, 10:27 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
I certainly have no basis to give advice.....that being said, we have some friends from Puerto Rico who say flying back and forth is quite expensive, something about how you can't get a direct flight....just look into it.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:48 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,948 times
pretty much every 'foreigner' i knew moves back to usa/homeland when their health deteriorates. but until then they always seem happy and content with their choice.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:16 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I certainly have no basis to give advice.....that being said, we have some friends from Puerto Rico who say flying back and forth is quite expensive, something about how you can't get a direct flight....just look into it.
Flights from New Orleans to San Juan are under $300 round trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories