Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 11:46 AM

134 posts, read 507,254 times

Advertisements

I visited Puerto Rico and this is what I saw.

People - very helpful, always willing to help. They are so friendly that most of your neighbors visit daily and/or know where your where abouts are.
- you can go to a small city and where someone lives and somehow the person you asked who lives either on the other side of the mountain or
who lives several miles away knows exactly who you are talking about.
- Many families live in the same location - I guess land distribution or something.

Traffic- Confusing with the Sometimes you drive in the middle lane sometimes you don't based on the light being green on which side.
Crazy drivers. Feel they own the road and expect 2 cars to fit in one lane, even on the mountain side.
Traffic very conjested in most areas. Oh, there is some grafitti on the highways that I think is suppose to be art but not very appealing.

Scenery - very mountainous. Lots of trees.

neighborhoods - some areas are very appealing but some are confusing. You can have an awesome gated community and it seems like you are in paradise and when you drive out make a slight right there is graffiti all over the walls and it looks "getto".

Average Pay - Not too appealing. I hear you need to know someone to get a half decent job and most jobs are between 6-8$ an hour.
They pay teachers and nurses - nothing over there.

Price of Groceries - Lots of the stuff I bought there was more expensive than the groceries I buy within the states. What bugged me the most was that
the plantines were 85 cents (how) when you can stop at the side of the road and pick them up from the ground for free. Plantines
are only 50 cents at walmart here.

Gas prices - very confusing - they charge differently so you really don't know if you are getting ripped off.

Well, did I get it right?

Last edited by HSCCS; 01-22-2008 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 10:18 AM

364 posts, read 1,978,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSCCS View Post
I visited Puerto Rico and this is what I saw.

People - very helpful, always willing to help. They are so friendly that most of your neighbors visit daily and/or know where your where abouts are.
- you can go to a small city and where someone lives and somehow the person you asked who lives either on the other side of the mountain or
who lives several miles away knows exactly who you are talking about.
- Many families live in the same location - I guess land distribution or something.

Yes, Puerto Ricans are very friendly in general.

Traffic- Confusing with the Sometimes you drive in the middle lane sometimes you don't based on the light being green on which side.
Crazy drivers. Feel they own the road and expect 2 cars to fit in one lane, even on the mountain side.
Traffic very conjested in most areas. Oh, there is some grafitti on the highways that I think is suppose to be art but not very appealing.

Yes, traffic is like any other Latin country that is overpopulated. They have almost as many cars as people in Puerto Rico.

Scenery - very mountainous. Lots of trees.

Yes, most islands in the Caribbean are beautiful!

neighborhoods - some areas are very appealing but some are confusing. You can have an awesome gated community and it seems like you are in paradise and when you drive out make a slight right there is graffiti all over the walls and it looks "getto".

Yes, the infrastructure in the island is nothing to be compared to the states. It is about geography: unless you have flat land, things are difficult to organize. All towns are very close to each other and from a developmental perspective, it is very hard to keep the nice communities "aways" from the gettos so to speak. In fact, the thing with gated communities came as a result of that.

Average Pay - Not too appealing. I hear you need to know someone to get a half decent job and most jobs are between 6-8$ an hour.
They pay teachers and nurses - nothing over there.

Yes, it is very hard to find a job there. And as you said, even nurses and teachers are underpaid. Puerto Rico IS NOT the place to move if you want to start from scratch. Now, if your company sends you there and pays you accordingly, then you could have the best time ever!

Price of Groceries - Lots of the stuff I bought there was more expensive than the groceries I buy within the states. What bugged me the most was that
the plantines were 85 cents (how) when you can stop at the side of the road and pick them up from the ground for free. Plantines
are only 50 cents at walmart here.

Wrong spelling!!!! We are talking about "Plátanos" not "Plantines". And yes, they are more expensive there because the ones you get at WalMart come from South America. Cheaper labor, cheaper product.

Gas prices - very confusing - they charge differently so you really don't know if you are getting ripped off.

They sell gas by the litter not gallons. They are not ripping you off, they just use the metric or European conversion. But gas prices end up being the same like the US. Remember, it is a US territory. The US goverment wouldn't allow them to inflate the prices without measure.

Well, did I get it right?
(see my comments above)

Old 01-23-2008, 04:27 PM

134 posts, read 507,254 times
Great Job! You confirmed that I got it correct. The beaches and tourist area are Great! The people are great! but it's not a place to live when you are use to the US. By the way, I reside in the flat lands.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:28 AM

582 posts, read 2,038,763 times
i was born in puerto rico and left when i was 3 yrs old had the opportunity to go back and live there for 5 yrs and never had a problem.i enjoyed the weather and the good people,if had an opportunity to earn a good living down there i would absulutely move.as far as crime i never experienced any problems,traffic can be bad anywhere during rush hour so that was not a big deal,public transportation is the same as florida you definitely need a car but if you know this going in that is not a problem either.what you should do is take a couple of weeks off and see what it's all about. i would not recommend moving without have a feeling for the place you would like to move to and that includes anywhere in the world.all in all p.r is a fine place to live in with the proper employment don't listen to the negative vibes go check for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories