U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:55 PM

19,578 posts, read 20,368,612 times

Advertisements

Excellent post hindsight2020
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 01:50 PM

9 posts, read 43,015 times
I live just past Dorado, so not in the metro area. Puerto Rico is a hard place to live. I am not Puerto Rican and I am from Florida. We are down here for a job. My big issues are the healthcare (its not very reliable), the schools (can't even consider public), and the other infrastructure services like power, water and roads.

Some of my friends (not a friend of a friend) have had horrible medical experiences here. Things that really make me worry for my children if something were to happen to them.

Schools are just poor. You have to do private school. I'll leave it at that.

I loose my water on a regular basis. I can't depend that its always going to work, yet, in the last year my bill has gone from $30/month to $70/month. The water company (AAA) says that its right. If I want to fight it I can take my 3 kids and go sit in the water office all day and still its not going to change anything.

Power is very expensive here. I run my ACs during naps and at night till about 2am. My bill is almost always over $300/month. In Florida (power, water, and garbage), $200/month was considered a very high bill for us (and that was with the central AC all the time).

The roads constantly have pot holes. People joke that if they fixed the pot holes correctly then those guys wouldn't have anything to do.

I know there are people down here who really love Puerto Rico. If they would get PR's problems fixed (I haven't mentioned them all here), this would be a wonderful place to live. Its beautiful. There is great food and wonderful people. But as is, we are going to move as soon as we get the oppurtunity. Its not a good place for my family to be.. I guess thats because I have a higher expectation of what my taxes should be paying for.

I wish you luck, but would say reconsider if you have a family to think about. Money isn't everything.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:30 AM

41 posts, read 186,874 times
Default moving?

Beach mom your'e all right in what you are saying and thanks GOD that you live in one of the better citys around where people with money choose because of the location and ammenities of Dorado. Imagine if you would have to live a little further down like Toa Baja? Thats why I will be relocating to Buffalo pretty soon becuse things here have rocketed 300% in everything and the services are not even reliable.
People think twice if you think this is paradise down here, I have lived here 36 years but the time has come to move on for the sake of my family. Puerto Rico Paradise of the Caribbean????? THINK TWICE...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 AM

59 posts, read 344,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gato2 View Post
things here have rocketed 300% in everything
It would be helpful if you could supply specific examples of everything actually tripling in price since obviously that is rather hard for most people to imagine. How much was bread, milk, and other basic foods last year (or even the year before) and what is it this year? How much was your average electric bill then and now? Water bill? Gasoline? Insurance? etc. I have no doubt that prices have gone up recently (especially food and gas since that is happening worldwide) but "everything" going up "300%" is very difficult to imagine unless you are talking about during your entire 36 years living there... in which case that would actually be low since most things have much more than tripled in the past 36 years in the U.S.

P.S. - I hope you have spent some time in Buffalo during the winter to make sure you will be happy there because it is going to be a huge difference in climate.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:53 AM

Default 300%

Thats right mythspell everything has risen a 300% down here especially after the gov. in turn applied the tax 7% for every dollar which was non existent, how much you pay for 1 gallon of milk? here the gallon is about $5.12 and the bread now for 1lb you pay $1.65 the gasoline is up to 1.04 the liter average so if people don't want to beleive it just read the news paper at ™ El Nuevo Día the electric bill before you could spend30.00 or 40.00 a month for a house hold of two now you pay about 100.00. Water before you would pay 20.00 every two month now water you can pay 30.00 monthly. So things have changed in the last year or so and lets not go in to the grocerys that is outrageous. If you still don't beleive me try to book a vacation down here to see how much is going to cost you. For the locals is a better deal to go vacation in a place like the Dominican Republic than to do local tourism can you really beleive that. Well hope this opens peoples eyes ah! and yes thanks for your advise on Buffalo weather I am aware of this.....
have great day! Gato!!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 AM

68 posts, read 211,353 times
Now I won't disagree, there are many issues one faces when living in PR, and I am not sure about the prices for milk and other groceries. I tend to keep my grocery shopping minimal. Electric and water are covered by my landlord so I can't really say there either.

But I just bought gas yesterday for 0.92$ per liter. While I think that is pricey, it is still a far cry from the 1.04$.

When I first moved here I was able to bring down my electric bill alot by running fans instead of using air conditioning. This brought my electric bill down 50%.

For people that say "oh but the weather", the weather isn't everything. Yes the weather down here is great, but it is not enough to keep me here.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 AM

Default gasoline

Hey is no joke try filling up your tank in one of the gas stations down here in Isla Verde using your debit or credit card you will know what I am talking about the 1.04 per liter.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:51 AM

68 posts, read 211,353 times
Isla Verde is the most expensive area on the island. Why not try in another area nearby. I am sure you can get better deals than 1.04 per liter in Carolina, Bayamon, or Trujillo Alto

Complaining about the prices in PR using Isla Verde as your gauge is unfair. You may as well complain about the prices in New York State using the prices in Manhattan as your starting point.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:52 AM

59 posts, read 344,053 times
Just a quick comment about the gas prices... the range being discussed here of $0.92 - $1.04 per liter doesn't actually serve to show that prices in Puerto Rico have jumped to levels far higher than one might find elsewhere. Those prices, when converted, give a range of $3.48 - $3.93 per gallon. And that is equivalent to current prices in the U.S. Lastly, it is of course difficult to speak about water and electric costs because usage varies from one household to the next. But in general for a two-person household, which is what you indicated, the costs you stated aren't really out of line there either. Same with the pound of bread. In fact, the only item that seemed markedly above mainland prices (in most areas, although not necessarily all) was a gallon of milk. Overall, I would just say that if Puerto Rico really has seen many prices triple in the past couple of years then it appears that some things were very cheap before and are simply now coming into parity with other areas. You certainly shouldn't expect to see a big reduction in prices when moving from PR to Buffalo. Of course your income will probably increase which will put you in a better financial position but you shouldn't expect your actual cost-of-living to go down based on the sample costs you've provided.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,075 times
This will be short and to the point. I moved here with family 2 years ago, we live west of San Juan. The island is struggling financially, politically and educationally. It has been a huge disappointment primarily because the government seems to be content with the status quo. We are on our way back to the mainland with a much more grateful attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories