U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:29 PM

177 posts, read 883,002 times

Advertisements

At what family income would you say PR provides a financially comfortable living? Meaning $40 to $60k, $60 to $80k, etc.? (Consider SJ metro and surrounding areas.)

What is the average cost to educate a child in PR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 12:45 PM

821 posts, read 1,840,749 times
Arecibo is a wonderful town in my opinion its minutes away from the main highway that takes you to either end of the island it has major stores and restruants but most importantly it still has that same old time island vibe that San Juan does not have anymore while in SJ there is no diffrence from any other major tourist city in any state in this country. it has all the light and big hotels. I would love to buy a house there one day.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:42 PM

8 posts, read 35,511 times
DON"T MOVE HERE!!!!!! Police don't enforce the laws. Dangerous island!!! I've been here for 2.5 years. I'm talking from expierence.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:47 PM

8 posts, read 35,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
At what family income would you say PR provides a financially comfortable living? Meaning $40 to $60k, $60 to $80k, etc.? (Consider SJ metro and surrounding areas.)

What is the average cost to educate a child in PR?
If you love your child you will enroll him or her in a private school. The educational system is NOTHING like the US. Schools in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana are far superior...nuff said!

Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 PM

12 posts, read 34,593 times
Unfortunately, these are not the best times for Puerto Rico. The economy is on its 3rd year of recession --and the quality of life has deteriorated (safety, traffic, etc).

If you are young and single, I would say fine. Go for it, and save the $. In my younger years, I had co-workers from all over the U.S. that adapted quite well and loved the Island. It is true that with a nice salary, you can have plenty of weekend trips to the other Caribbean Islands, and that's quite a treat --the British Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico's own Vieques/Culebra are just a hop away--all true paradise.

However, if you have family, I would think twice, because of the cost of living (expensive housing); schools (if you want a good private school); and the safety concern mentioned above.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:28 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,032,713 times
I moved here six months ago and would not recommend it to anyone. It is a great place to visit but living here is another story. Some people like people from the U.S. and some are openly hostile. The cost of living is shockingly high. Getting in to see a doctor or getting a utility connected or repair done are monumental tasks. The groceries are very limited with a shortage of fruits and vegetables. The landscape is beautiful but people litter everywhere and the stray emaciated animals you find everywhere break your heart. The traffic is a nightmare. I could go on and on but basically just want to say be ready for a heavy duty culture shock if you want to live here.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:59 AM

177 posts, read 883,002 times
PR is not for the faint heart. If the sight of homeless, stray dogs, and trash on the streets makes you upset then indeed you should not move here. Nobody likes such sights, but some may have easier time to accept the PR's status quo than others. People are in general nice and they learned to live within limitations of PR, so will you if you move here. Bureaucracy here is a mountain!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:28 PM

10 posts, read 107,501 times
My parents were the type of people that loved moving. I'ved lived in Chicago and Naperville,IL(yes, voted one of the top places to live in the U.S.), FL, Upper NY--among other places. I've attended both public schools in the city and suburban schools.The guy/lady who said that private schools on the island are equivalent to metro/suburban schools in the U.S., clearly has never attended a school over on the mainland. Private schools on the island, in my opinion, are better than a metro/suburban school on the mainland. I find his comment completely ignorant because he said it himself, he attended a Catholic school in Puerto Rico...he never attended one in the U.S. I've attended both public and private schools in the mainland and on the island;I should know.

Negatives,Metro: Traffic is horrible, there are a lot of stray dogs and cats;pretty sad, you're going to encounter homeless people, most people tend to be more focused on money than anything else and that leads to a lot of negatives. Speaking about being too focused on money over everything else, the government/politicians of Puerto Rico are the epitome of corrupt and inept. They care more about getting rich and no offense, being more American than Americans themselves, that they fail to help the people and fix the problems that are going on in Puerto Rico. For example, a woman in a town called Guayama got elected mayor and she's more worried about changing the signs of the town to English than spending that money on something useful like education. There are countless politicians convicted of crimes,too.

Small town:The town I lived in was safe and I would leave the door and windows open. No one ever robbed me, my car was never broken into, I never felt scared walking around the town at night, and everyone was well educated. They would greet me in the morning saying "buenos dias"(good morning), "como estas?"(how are you?),etc. I'd be lucky if someone in the metro area said excuse me, thank you, good morning, etc. LUCKY. Yes, there's crime on the island, but there's crime everywhere and Puerto Ricans from the island have a tendency to make the island seem worse than what it really is. They LOVE,but I mean LOVE, to complain about the island, but they do nothing to help solve the problems. "If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem" The problems aren't going to fix themselves. Having the opportunity to live in so many places, I wouldn't change living in Puerto Rico. The people here have something special and it's so sad that they don't realize it and condemn themselves the way they do. I help those that I can and it DOES make a difference. Maybe the people who sit around and write about how horrible Puerto Rico is, should try helping instead, but I doubt they will.....THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

It kind of reminds me of a small town called Medellin in Colombia. Not too long ago, this small town was filled with violence and drugs. However, the number of homicides is so low now compared to years ago, that it makes D.C. look bad. Why the drastic change? Well, a man who sought to help others and wasn't focused on glory/money, became the head of the small town and worked on educating the town and encouraged the citizens to help one another. It's not impossible, unless you keep putting excuses, degrading your ownselves, and doing nothing about the problems you don't shut up talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories