Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:37 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My family visited there once a year while I was growing up. My dad was stationed there during the Korean war and he had developed a love for Puerto Rico.

I loved it too. It was a safe place for Americans to visit. No passport is needed. And Puerto Rico is beautiful and friendly. There are the ancient cobble stoned European styled styled streets of Old San Juan. Wonderful dining. Beautiful beaches. And rain forests.

I'd like to visit again.

Why has Puerto Rico fallen out of favor for American travelers?
Probably a few reasons for that but I'd venture a guess that since it's cheaper to visit nearly anywhere else, including all-inclusives in the Dominican and Mexico cheaper than staying in a standard hotel in PR that's probably a big part of it. People want value for their dollar and PR doesn't really offer that. Also, the marketing presence of PR in the United States as a destination for travel is weak IMO. PR has so much to offer but the vast majority of Americans probably have no idea.

I visited last year for the first time because I love "different" places and did a lot of research and found out just how diverse the island really is. A lot to offer for sure but you have to go find it and that's not something a lot of people will do.

The island has it's obvious problems and I think most Americans want to go to "paradise" when they think Caribbean and many places do a much better job of hiding their problems (ie. Jamaica for instance or Mexico) than what PR does and that hurts them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 11:06 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times
The sad reality is lovely Pueto Rico is 57 billion in debt and free falling along with America living day
to day on an illusioned and artificial market and economy so bailing out Rico will be unrealistic. My
suggestion ....loot while da stuff be in da house!

Old 07-18-2015, 03:49 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Lots of interesting posts here...

It's really funny to me that Puerto Rico is considered expensive by some of the posters here. Have those who find it expensive visited the USVI or Hawaii? The further you get from civilization and the further goods have to travel in order to maintain civilization, the more expensive things get. Living on St Thomas, I love having a "cheap" getaway to lovely PR. Island-living is expensive. Puerto Rico is a less expensive getaway than many places. I think it's safe to say that I've stayed much cheaper in Old San Juan than I ever could in most U.S. cities.

It's also really funny to me that there are comments here about PR's culture. Yes, it is Latin American. Yes, it is different from Mexico, DR, or a myriad of other Latin American locations. Not only are they different countries (for crying out loud), but each place has its own nuanced culture. Travel throughout Mexico and you will find different cultures throughout that single country. Heck, travel throughout the United States and you will find different cultures throughout! That's just common sense. PR is filled with its own traditions and has a delightful, unique cuisine. It is and should be unlike other "Latin American" places. Yes, modern society continues to make everywhere on the planet more homogenized. Our world is shrinking and thus cultures meld. PR is closely tied to the U.S. and it has not hesitated at adopting modernizations and American habits. That said, take a trip to somewhere like historical Ponce, PR (check out the museums, the square, the colonial architecture) or step into some of the hole in the wall restaurants in Old San Juan for some pasteles or stop into one of the street food kiosks along the beach at Luquillo for a pionono. PR does have its own culture and it's great. Yes, it has financial problems, without a doubt. Many, many places in the world do. It's still a lovely place to visit and tourism is definitely an enjoyable way to help PR's economy. You just have to know where to look, and I guess it just has to be your "thing." The streets of Old San Juan, the history of Ponce, the beaches, the bio-bay, hiking in El Yunque, hanging with locals and eating street food at Luquillo... It's my thing, for sure.

There is wisdom in warning vacationers who get a notion to move their lives to "paradise." It's not all beaches and rum drinks, that's for sure. It's a harder life in a lot of ways. That doesn't mean it's impossible. Many Americans do make a life in PR. It's silly to say that it can't or shouldn't be done. Again, it's wisdom to say it should be well thought out and researched after spending some extended time there. Caribbean life is... different.

Last edited by IslandCityGirl; 07-18-2015 at 04:47 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 08:11 PM

549 posts, read 722,959 times
I've been to Puerto Rico a number of times. I've also spent the past two decades between the Philippines, Costa Rica and the United States. The people of PR seem to be just as nice as any of the others. The culture and society pose very similar problems as CR and PI.

The only hesitation I would have is the governments lack of funds but then again, that puts it directly in line with CR and PI. Many will speak of the drugs, crime and general overall uneasiness of the place but honestly, does it pose any greater threat than anti-government forces around the world?

I'll leave that for you to answer, I know my response as I've made plenty of friends from both sides all over our little planet.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:27 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,530 times
Puerto Rico is on the verge of becoming Detroit, Chicago and NJ. They can't pay their bills. Set them free, and let them pursue their own destiny. The US has enough issues, which need immediate attention. This whole commonwealth situation, which is just a nice way of saying it's a US Colony is outdated and needs to be addressed. Let them go!

Last edited by izannimda; 07-19-2015 at 12:36 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 12:49 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
Puerto Rico is on the verge of becoming Detroit, Chicago and NJ. They can't pay their bills. Set them free, and let them pursue their own destiny. The US has enough issues, which need immediate attention. This whole commonwealth situation, which is just a nice way of saying it's a US Colony is outdated and needs to be addressed. Let them go!
Hawaii is one of the biggest protestors of the US occupation. The media has blackouts every time there is a huge protest over the Independence of Hawaii. #FreeHawaii

Old 07-19-2015, 12:50 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
And what happens when the entire population immediately moves to the mainland and creates a humanitarian crisis? Seriously, it's not as easy or as simple as you make it out to be.

1) How does the US government renounce sovereignty over a land populated by it's own people? There's no constitutional provision for this, the Filipinos were never US citizens so that's a mute point. The Marshall Islands, Micronesia, and Palau were never US territories ... they were US administered UN mandate trust territories.
2) What do we do about the US citizenship issue? What about those born there but live here?
3) What do we do about SS, Medicare, and other porgrams that they have paid into?
4) What do we do about the thousands of Puerto Ricans who serve in OUR military serving OUR nation?
5) What about the fact that 95% of Puerto Ricans do not support independence? They have the right to self determination ...
6) As I said, what happens when they all move here?

I await your answers composed of logic instead of ignorance.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:53 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Hawaii is one of the biggest protestors of the US occupation. The media has blackouts every time there is a huge protest over the Independence of Hawaii. #FreeHawaii
A handful of people is not a "big protest" ... in both Hawaii and Puerto Rico those who support independence are practically miniscule. Really vocal but really small movements. It's kinda like the KKK and the neo-Nazis. Yeah, they exist but thats about it.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:37 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times
After reading this thread, my girlfriend and I have decided not to move to Puerto Rico. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:22 PM

549 posts, read 722,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
After reading this thread, my girlfriend and I have decided not to move to Puerto Rico. Thanks for the help.
Hey Joey, it still makes a great getaway for a long weekend or so. Well, we live in Florida so it might be a little shorter trip for us.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories