Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,226 times

Advertisements

Very short notice, but my family of three may be moving to Puerto Rico in the next 7 weeks. Our first concern is our cars. We have a newer Honda Odyssey van and I'm worried that it is too large of a vehicle to use on a daily basis on the roads down there and for parking.

Disclaimer, I have never been to Puerto Rico, but i'm basing these assumptions off of living in Europe for four years, and a US minivan would have been a large vehicle there.

From what I have been told so far, is to not expect to pay the import tax, so that is not a factor as of now.

Recommendations? Should I take the $3-4k dollar hit on a quick sale and pickup something a little older/smaller?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 12:08 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,172,304 times
where exactly are you moving, do you know?

nvm, read the title.

keep the car. it will be fine. especially if you don't have to pay import taxes

Last edited by mym; 10-22-2015 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: read the title.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:15 PM
mym

and, are you allowed to sell it once you bring it in? after not having paid import taxes?

Old 10-23-2015, 07:25 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,486,626 times
I looked into moving my car from TX to PR and, when you combine the shipping cost with the import duty (Import Duty from a US State to a US Commonwealth! WTF?) it just didn't make sense as it was a significant % of the value of the used car. If you've found a way around the import duty please let me know! This is one of the most significant parts of the territory's revenue so I'm skeptical.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,226 times
I'm going off a lot of assumptions here, but I'm a service member so I get "X" amount of vehicles (based off # dependents) imported with no fee. If this turns out to not be the case, then there is no way I am keeping the van.

No idea about selling it afterwards. In Germany, you could sell your US car once it had been in the country for a year.

I would be at Air Station Borinquen.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:50 AM
mym

cool, very nice spot.

your car will be fine. it will be less fine if you want to go exploring thru the windy hills.

roads aren't that tiny but the hills will do a number on your brakes especially as your car is automatic. depends on how strong the engine is, going uphill can be a pain too. but really you'll be fine.

if you could see it without paying import taxes you might have a money maker on your hands. trade it in later for a corolla 1.8

Old 10-25-2015, 06:22 AM

39 posts, read 42,363 times
I'm retired Army and when I retired the Army paid for my car to be shipped here and they paid the import tax on it. If you are active duty and keep your permanent residence in the states you can keep your stateside tags on the vehicles. Don't quote me but if you sell your vehicle while here you don't have the tax because actually Uncle Sam did. I recommend buying a Toyota or Mitsubishi for down here because of our road system. They are little workhorses and I prefer to drive my mirage more than my ford because its smaller and decent on gas. Welcome to Puerto Rico and I hope you and your family enjoy our island paradise and THANK YOU for your sevice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories