Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 11:27 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times

Advertisements

I have spent a total of 2 months in Puerto Rico over the years. I have always wanted to move to Puerto Rico, however I do not speak Spanish. My wife however is Puerto Rican and she has expressed her desire to take care of her grandparents, who live on the southwest side of the island, and we have begun having serious conversations about a move in the next couple of years.

Before we move, I'd want to learn Spanish obviously. We are both teachers and I know the pay isn't the greatest and I have been told the schools are a little rough, but I love what I do.

Those of you that live on the island already, what can you tell me? We'd want to move to the SW side (San German area). Jobs...Teachers, but only one of us will work.

We would be debt free when we move. We will have three children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 04:11 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,735 times
its another gringo family. lol its ok. No problem with that because they should speak english. I mean, most know there mainland facts. and want to speak ingles. so yah you going to be a teacheR?? for spanish speakers?? I don’t get how they hire english speaking teachers. unless u a english teacher lol. you need to visit and do ur research before moving your family there. its really not as bad as people here say. but it better on the mainland

Old 11-12-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
its another gringo family. lol its ok. No problem with that because they should speak english. I mean, most know there mainland facts. and want to speak ingles. so yah you going to be a teacheR?? for spanish speakers?? I don’t get how they hire english speaking teachers. unless u a english teacher lol. you need to visit and do ur research before moving your family there. its really not as bad as people here say. but it better on the mainland
Half gringo Well the kids would be half gringo and I'd be 100% gringo.
This is the beginning part of the research. We won't be moving for a few years...like 2-3 minimum.

I know I was reading about a push for english speaking teachers, and I won't move until I learn to speak Spanish.
The grandparents do not want to move and we wouldn't ask them to move to mainland.
I've read about the economic issues. We did a preliminary visit for five weeks a couple of years ago and I fell in love with Puerto Rico. Wife wasn't exactly sold. her cousin (lives in San Juan) tells her all about the crime and the traffic, but San German and the westside is totally different at least to me it is.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:33 PM

the lack of jobs and crime is bad there. its a isla de encanto , but see you will find a different lifestyle down there compared to even Miami. Its not the US in many ways. So the kids would grow up and the racist issues in the schools are bad no joke.( not like race but if they from US and look white.. you know.) If your wife is boricua she should really know about the issues down there. let her judge. but lots of folks be moving to the mainland right now to jersey and NYC. etc so u might want to think about in the couple years if the issues get better in the island. But hey its the westside of PR, its not as populated as SJ. But lots to consider tu sabe. good luck! and visit!

Old 11-18-2015, 08:07 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,221 times
This is a huge issue in the entire Virgin Islands. I've never had so many racial issues before till I was in the VI, I've never felt more hated in my life. Thankfully I got out of there and moved on with my life.

If you're not born and raised in the VI, or if you're not from certain countries or a certain race, you're going to have severe issues trying to survive the island life. Supposedly Hawaii is like this also, which wouldn't amaze me.

Last edited by Sunscape; 11-22-2015 at 07:04 PM..

Old 11-20-2015, 02:08 PM

[quote=Quert;41988119]
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
So the kids would grow up and the racist issues in the schools are bad no joke.( not like race but if they from US and look white.. you know.)/quote]

This is a huge issue in the entire Virgin Islands. I've never had so many racial issues before till I was in the VI, I've never felt more hated in my life. Thankfully I got out of there and moved on with my life.

If you're not born and raised in the VI, or if you're not from certain countries or a certain race, you're going to have severe issues trying to survive the island life. Supposedly Hawaii is like this also, which wouldn't amaze me.
I've lived in Hawaii for five years on an outer island during the turn of the century (I';ve always wanted to say that).

I have lived in the interior of Alaska. Racial issues don't bother me within reason.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:16 AM

[quote=Haolejohn;42009003]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post

I've lived in Hawaii for five years on an outer island during the turn of the century (I';ve always wanted to say that).

I have lived in the interior of Alaska. Racial issues don't bother me within reason.
thats cool. but PR isn’t hawaii or alaska. its just something to consider. but hey if you feel its best for your family and wife and kids do what u want. but its really not a good place right now.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:50 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote feature looks messd-up up in the last couple of posts.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:13 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I have spent a total of 2 months in Puerto Rico over the years. I have always wanted to move to Puerto Rico, however I do not speak Spanish. My wife however is Puerto Rican and she has expressed her desire to take care of her grandparents, who live on the southwest side of the island, and we have begun having serious conversations about a move in the next couple of years.

Before we move, I'd want to learn Spanish obviously. We are both teachers and I know the pay isn't the greatest and I have been told the schools are a little rough, but I love what I do.

Those of you that live on the island already, what can you tell me? We'd want to move to the SW side (San German area). Jobs...Teachers, but only one of us will work.

We would be debt free when we move. We will have three children.
it will be tough. not everyone ends up loving the place. i dont know of any good public schools in the san german area. private schools are what i'd want. unless you can teach at the same private school so your kids go free i dont know how you'd make it.

but otherwise, the beaches are freakin incredibly beautiful, the hills have windy roads past tiny waterfalls and views of entire valleys with clouds of steam rising up after the rain. amen he dicho

Old 11-22-2015, 07:05 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Quote feature looks messd-up up in the last couple of posts.
Checking on this............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories