Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 12:36 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,690 times

Advertisements

Well we thought PR was great. But we went into debt because my girlfriend spent too much money on jewelry there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 12:43 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric of Grand Concourse View Post
I am half Puerto Rican and have a home in a very Diverse Fajardo Cul-de-Sac. We have a two politicians, several retirees, a Dominican neighbor who raises fighting roosters, 4 homes for sale, one estate sized home with a 3 bedroom pool-house, one home owned by a family from the states who rents to an elderly couple and has not painted the house in seven years (WE ALL HATE THE LANDLORD), as well as newer families who have created modern tropical ranch homes and have little lawns or courtyards... Our area is very live and let live, economically diverse and people of all ages live in this area with such a diverse range of housing. We have not had any crime in our neighborhood for about 12 years. This was when my uncle Gilbert returned to his (unlocked) car and found that a courtesy thief stole cash from his wallet which he stupidly would leave under the visor. Thankfully they left his License and Cards. Otherwise these crime waves affect mostly known poorer or high crime areas as well as housing projects such as in the US and every other country. I find that the media sensationalizing everything is blowing a great deal of things out of proportion on the island. It has cosmopolitan flair, tropical splendor, a relaxed people, no starving peasants begging for food, old world charm, suburban splendor, countryside rustic living and yes even "da hood" LOL
If you went to NYC, you would not go to a dangerous housing project or area in Harlem or Brooklyn to wander...
Please apply the same logic here.

Some good advice. I couldn't help but notice your screen name. My gradparents and great grandparents once lived on The Grand Concourse, in the 1920s - 1960s.

My FIRST address on this earth was 2685 Grand Concourse. We only lived there until I was three.
My relatives - on both sides - continued to live there until "69. I visited a lot during the 60s.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:55 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
the cobblestones were ballast from the ships that came from europe is what i was always told

was the candy red and cylinder shaped, like a lollipop?

do you want to stay in old san juan or on the strip by the beach in condado?

I was only 16, last time I visited P.R. and it was in the mid 70s. If I remember, the candy was not in the form of a lollipop, but it was in little squares. *I think* that they may have been chopped of a larger block of candy. Some may have been displayed individually. I loved them, as did my younger sisters. I think my favorite ones had a coconut flavor. Or were covered with coconut. I think they were in pastel colors. Pink? Green?

I'm in my 50s now. So this is what I remember.

My parents idea of a vacation was to go to a full service resort always on the ocean - if the ocean was their destination. They liked a restaurant on premises and a bar by the pool. Think of the Madmen era fictional Draper family, on vacation. My parents were typical of their era. Although, to their credit each time we visited, we did go to a non touristy restaurant for a few nights. We also visited something educational or historic. A castle?

What I remember once was ordering Paella at a restaurant with filled with both locals and tourists. I had never in my life had Paella, and it was one of the most delicious dishes I had ever eaten. (Remember, back them, American food was pretty limited to dining a Chinese-American restaurants, Italian American or Jewish Deli - on the East Coast at least, anything else was rare)

So, I stuck my fork into the lovely rice dish, and out came a whole baby octopus! I was in shock. My dad popped it into his mouth, un-phased. I continued to order Paella on subsequent visits, but I had my parents do an "octopus check" before I dug in.

What I also remember, was the waiter, who was a student at a nearby university, and how he allowed me to order our dinner in my terrible, halting, school girl Spanish. After, he told me how beautifully I had done.

OK Hawaii vs. Puerto Rico. I have been to both - Hawaii more recently, and I can say this. Both have rich cultural and historic backgrounds, exquisite natural beauty - including but not limited to beaches. Locals in both areas are friendly and accommodating to visitors.
I never met anyone rude in either place.

When we visited Hawaii, I noticed that like many tropical tourist destinations, there are areas that it is best to avoid. We went to Honolulu, and we stayed at a hotel on the strip, with a view of Diamond Head. Across the street, was a high end department store.

That area was pretty sanitized. In fact, too sanitized for our tastes. There was a local man with a parrot. Our lids were 10 and 7 and they wanted to have their picture taken with the parrot. He was nice, and friendly, just trying to earn a living.

A nasty police officer came by and asked us if this man was disturbing us. We said no, on the contrary, YOU are disturbing us! So much for the "Aloha" spirit.

We still have that picture in our family room.

In Hawaii, the tourist area, inland, there are hotels that fast go from lower priced, to economy, to seedy. And on to gritty, in a negative way. No place is pure paradise. You are not visiting a Hollywood set that has been created for mainland tourists.

And, in each case, you are visiting a place that others call home.

However, I happen to know that there is a "hood" in Hawaii, and it is a place that people - tourist or not, should avoid. I would disagree that Puerto Rico is any "grittier" than Hawaii.

So, in comparison, while Hawaii was wonderful and a great once in a life time experience. We are going to relegate it to a "once in a life time experience".

Travel from the East (we now live in Eastern Ohio, on the PA border) to Hawaii is grueling. From New York, Europe was a more pleasant trip. When we lived in the NYC suburbs, travel to Hawaii involved a trip to Atlanta, and on the way home a stop in Cincinnati, of all places. I don't like a vacation from which I need to "recover" for several days when I return.

As someone else mentioned - there are pineapples, coconuts, and white sanded beaches that are far closer to home, with out that expensive and monotonous trip.

So, my good memories of Puerto Rico, bring me back to thoughts of beautiful beaches, old world charm, and a general nostalgia for a place that it seems, has lost favor to Mexico, Hawaii and other destinations. And, I am not sure why.

OK, when we visit, I think I would like to stay in Condado beach for part of the trip. However, I would also like to spend some time in Old San Juan and perhaps, someplace else.

Remember, when I last visited, I was a child. I really had nothing to do with the travel arrangements. So, I was not aware that there were options in San Juan, other than in the large, commercial hotels, that once dotted Condado beach.

I'd be interested in learning more about places to stay, both in tourist heavy areas - for old time's sake, and in Old San Juan.

To quote my favorite 1970s T shirt, adorned with a tiny coqui frog - Puerto Rico - Me encanta!

Last edited by Sunscape; 02-22-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-20-2016, 04:36 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Well we thought PR was great. But we went into debt because my girlfriend spent too much money on jewelry there.
if thats not a joke haha thats funny i hope u bought it for her tho.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:37 PM

Puerto Rico is deff worth visiting always. but some people never know until they go tu sabe

Old 02-22-2016, 08:19 AM

2,251 posts, read 4,914,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
... adorned with a tiny coqui frog - Puerto Rico - Me encata!
Noting most homes in Puerto Rica don't have sealed windows.

At night ever have one of those "Coqui Foggies" in the same room.

The "Cookie" noise they make is worst than a cricket... lol!!!.....

Old 02-23-2016, 01:38 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We just got back from a week on the north side, in Vega Baja, at a private home on the ocean. From here, we were able to experience some of the real culture, I think.

Things we noticed:
There are food trucks and small cafes everywhere. From the house we stayed, we could walk a few 100' to several restaurants and bars.
There was music in the air wherever we went. We were next to Playa Puerto Nueva, and music was playing from several sources all the time.
Everyone eats A LOT of plantain.

We thought Old San Juan was beautiful, but we were only able to drive around because we could not find a place to park.
We went to the Dorado (I think that's what it was called) area. There is a small park there, I think its called Manatee. It was deserted, except for a few paddle boarders. My son and his wife like to jump off the bridge that is next to it. I guess a lot of people jump off it for fun.
Sure, a lot of Puerto Rico is kind of crummy looking, and some areas are very swanky, just like anywhere else. The fact that the structures are all made of concrete block, and all are quickly worn and faded from the sun and unrelenting effects of the sea, give it a kind of charming shabbiness, in general.
We were driven past one of the worlds best beaches for surfing, which is next to a place where the Beatles once performed. Who knew?

Old 02-23-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We just got back from a week on the north side, in Vega Baja, at a private home on the ocean. From here, we were able to experience some of the real culture, I think.

Things we noticed:
There are food trucks and small cafes everywhere. From the house we stayed, we could walk a few 100' to several restaurants and bars.
There was music in the air wherever we went. We were next to Playa Puerto Nueva, and music was playing from several sources all the time.
Everyone eats A LOT of plantain.

We thought Old San Juan was beautiful, but we were only able to drive around because we could not find a place to park.
We went to the Dorado (I think that's what it was called) area. There is a small park there, I think its called Manatee. It was deserted, except for a few paddle boarders. My son and his wife like to jump off the bridge that is next to it. I guess a lot of people jump off it for fun.
Sure, a lot of Puerto Rico is kind of crummy looking, and some areas are very swanky, just like anywhere else. The fact that the structures are all made of concrete block, and all are quickly worn and faded from the sun and unrelenting effects of the sea, give it a kind of charming shabbiness, in general.
We were driven past one of the worlds best beaches for surfing, which is next to a place where the Beatles once performed. Who knew?
Well you making me jealous already that sounds like a great experience. but don’t drive there walk or take the bus

Old 02-23-2016, 07:03 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Definitely the most stress free way to get to and from san juan, unless you're staying out late, is the ferry and to some extent the bus (although only condado and santurce have decent service). Anyway drive to hato rey or catano and catch the ferry for a ridiculously low price of 50 cents

Old 02-24-2016, 02:59 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
by the old us customs building, by paseo de la princesa. End of calle comercio is paid outdoor parking. usually a space there.

by the entrance to el Morro, there is underground paid parking. the parking is underneath the statue/whatever it is we called 'cristobal colon's pubic hair.' seriously it looks like a hair under an electron microscope. End of calle norzagaray, take a left unto Calle Morovis.

theres another parking end of calle tetuan by the USPS i think but i never used that one. its in a building. by the hotels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories