Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:51 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,224,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Barcelona covers an area of 39.2 square miles and has a population density of 40,877 people per square mile.

San Juan covers a land area of 47.9 square miles and a population density of 8,253 per square mile.

The result?

Despite that Spain is 56 times larger than Puerto Rico, their urbanization style allows for 5 times more people in each square mile.

At 40,877 people per square miles, San Juan could had been home to 1,958,008 people. That's 5 times more people than currently live in the Puerto Rican capital. A lot more people living in a lot less space is more efficient for such a small island.

Typical areas of Barcelona as seen in Google Earth Street View:

The bottom line is that Puerto Rico devotes too much of its land to urban development when it could had concentrated most of its population on a lot less land. Not only would it had been better for the environment, but also socially as public transportation is much more viable in a city such as Barcelona.

Puerto Rico has 414.20 people per SQ. KM

Spain has 94.93 people per SQ. KM

See the difference in land per SQ. KM per people? P.R. has 4 times more people in SQ. KM than Spain.

Spain has almost DOUBLE the unemployment as Puerto Rico. Spain is close to 30% unemployment. Puerto Rico has no choice to invest and grow the economy in urban development, the last thing Puerto Rico needs is to go from a 15% unemployment to 30% like in Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 10:10 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,423,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Puerto Rico has 414.20 people per SQ. KM

Spain has 94.93 people per SQ. KM

See the difference in land per SQ. KM per people? P.R. has 4 times more people in SQ. KM than Spain.

Spain has almost DOUBLE the unemployment as Puerto Rico. Spain is close to 30% unemployment. Puerto Rico has no choice to invest and grow the economy in urban development, the last thing Puerto Rico needs is to go from a 15% unemployment to 30% like in Spain.
Keep in mind though that countries differ on their definition of unemployment. Spain and Italy have high unemployment rates. However I remember reading one of these countries (I forget which) defines their unemployment among youth in a way that if they use our American definition of unemployment rate among youth their rate would be similar to the American rate.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:28 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times
Cuba still has a train system, the dr is building subways. You can slice it anyway you want it doesn't break in your favor. Philadelphia was just as much of a blue collar town as pittsburgh run by a similar group of incompetent and corrupt democrats. Not sure where youre going with that.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Cuba still has a train system, the dr is building subways. You can slice it anyway you want it doesn't break in your favor. Philadelphia was just as much of a blue collar town as pittsburgh run by a similar group of incompetent and corrupt democrats. Not sure where youre going with that.

LOL, Cubans earned about 8 cents an hour. Yeah Cuba needs trains and buses for transportation since the masses can't afford 4 tires of a car let alone a whole car and gas.

You keep bringing Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.....different cultures.........Pittsburgh like other conservative blue collar towns in Pennsylvania are PRO GUN RIGHTS and like to hunt....Philadelphia is like Chicago and NYC very liberal anti-gun.

Not all Democrats are the same....you have your very liberal Democrats like in Chicago, D.C., Baltimore and N.Y.C and then you have your moderate to conservative Democrats that are in rural towns in Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Keep in mind though that countries differ on their definition of unemployment. Spain and Italy have high unemployment rates. However I remember reading one of these countries (I forget which) defines their unemployment among youth in a way that if they use our American definition of unemployment rate among youth their rate would be similar to the American rate.

the standard is what the European uses since Spain uses the EURO.

Spain has the highest unemployment rate than the other European Countries nest to Greece.

Germany is at 4.5%
U.K at 5%
France at 10%
Italy at 11%
Ireland at 9%
Finland at 9%
Belgium at 8.7%
Luxembourg at 5.8%

Spain is at 24% unemployment with Greece at 25%.

Puerto Rico is at 13%

Old 12-31-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
LOL, Cubans earned about 8 cents an hour. Yeah Cuba needs trains and buses for transportation since the masses can't afford 4 tires of a car let alone a whole car and gas.

You keep bringing Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.....different cultures.........Pittsburgh like other conservative blue collar towns in Pennsylvania are PRO GUN RIGHTS and like to hunt....Philadelphia is like Chicago and NYC very liberal anti-gun.

Not all Democrats are the same....you have your very liberal Democrats like in Chicago, D.C., Baltimore and N.Y.C and then you have your moderate to conservative Democrats that are in rural towns in Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan.
What are you talking about? What does gun or anti-gun have to do with anything? This is a thread about public transit.

if there were good public transit in San juan people might not use the overpriced, corrupt and crappy cab system that operates there.that might be a reason transit is so bad. Puerto ricans being so rich is not one of those reasons. Puerto ricans are poorer than pittsburgh and yet they use less transit. Why? It's crappier.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
What are you talking about? What does gun or anti-gun have to do with anything? This is a thread about public transit.

if there were good public transit in San juan people might not use the overpriced, corrupt and crappy cab system that operates there.that might be a reason transit is so bad. Puerto ricans being so rich is not one of those reasons. Puerto ricans are poorer than pittsburgh and yet they use less transit. Why? It's crappier.

oh brother....I was talking about cultures and giving the reasons but obviously it went over your head.........Pittsburgh is a different culture than Philadelphia, Chicago and NYC for the reasons I stated. Pittsburgh is similar to Wisconsin. ...if you haven't spend time personally in those places then you will have NO clue what I'm talking about.

Most people in San Juan have cars......why in the heck they will use public transportation when they have a car??? . At 4,300 vehicles per paved mile, San Juan has by far the highest density of vehicles on the road of any country in the world.

The Puerto Rican government can't manage anything big in any department with competence.....why would you think they would handle the Public transit right when they can't handle public education or the electricity properly?.....so the people of SAN JUAN rather drive their own cars. It doesn't mean the public transportation isn't used, it is......both can exist......public transportation is not going to replace the AUTO INDUSTRY. Puerto Ricans love to own their own cars......nothing wrong with that.

If you have a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, AUDI, Lexus , Jag, Range Rover which there are a lot in SAN JUAN because they have the most professionals in that city out of all the cities in P.R. by far would you take a mediocre public transportation???? Didn't think so.

When I go to Puerto Rico I rent a car and I spent most of my time in San Juan, Guaynabo and Bayamon area. I hardly use the public transportation for a reason.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Why is it that there is not much public transportation outside the San Juan area? I know that the island is in financial trouble but investing in public transportation throughout the entire island can be a good thing. The traffic can be greatly reduced, there would be less pollution, and there would be jobs provided. Maybe the government can collect revenue from public transportation. Imagine if there was a train that took you to Mayaguez, Ponce, San Juan, Caguas, Bayamon, Cayey and other cities.

Also why is there so much sprawl in Puerto Rico? Is it because they just wanted to Americanize Puerto Rico since it is already a U.S. Territory? I remember my aunt telling me businesses in downtown Cayey have suffered because there are businesses outside of the downtown areas (strip malls and malls).
Realistically the island needs to improve on what is has. The only part of the system that functions reasonably well is santurce, condado to and from old san juan as well as the juncos and ponce de Leon ave corridors to the train. The other exception is the ferries. The island needs to buy more buses, improve fare collection, put timetables on line, and add more ferry service. Why not catano to hato rey? Osj to plaza Las americas with park n ride. The traffic in and out of osj is nuts and land is too valuable to devote to large scale parking. On the intercity front they should start with bus service to fajardo, ponce, and mayaguez. Supposedly caguas to san juan is going to get built, if I does they should concentrate on extending the tren urbano a couple stops. I'd also suggest that airport to osj be local service and anything beyond operate on baldiority. Perhaps a brt type service could work on baldiority.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:37 PM

the government of P.R. has a debt it can't pay and your solution is you want the government to get bigger and spend more?

tell me where are you going to get the money and who is going to pay for it? Sales Tax is already beyond 11.5% and rising.

P.R. has 300,000 government employees out of 900,000 employees in the island and right now it can't pay its debt and you want to expand government employees beyond 300,000 with your transportation plan? LOL

Old 01-06-2016, 06:31 PM

Who said anything about expanding government employees. You could fire thousands of government employees and hire a hundred bus drivers. Pr needs to attract residents, crappy roads and non existent transit isn't going to do that sorry. Maybe instead of railing against improved services and qol you should start ranting about the massive projects pr has and cannot afford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories