Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 10:56 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
you make stuff up to suit your needs and argue any which way you want

i say pr can have call centers
you start by saying that all the call centers are in the midwest
you say they have accents so they cant have call centers
i say the irish have accents too and so do theindians
you say thay the irish only speak english perfectly as its their first language but the you forget about the indians who speak hindi as their first? so suddenly accents dont matter to you?
then you say its too expensive and how as CEO youd never invest inPR. youd go somewhere cheaper

but you started by saying the call centers were in the midwest? thats the usa right?

whatever.

Call center jobs increase as more return from overseas

accents matter in communicating with your client base in customer service ! and also having a better workforce in the computer technical department and doing the job a lot cheaper also matters...........you really want to put the Puerto Rican workforce against the Indian/Asian workforce in the technical support department of computers and software????? LMAO!!!!......they are light years ahead......its about education and culture.

Have you ever heard the term "know your own limitations"?........you should apply that to Puerto Rico.

you are telling me that the Puerto Rican workforce can do the same or better job as Indian/Asians in the computer tech support in call centers for less money?

Who is making things up now?

Last edited by Hellion1999; 06-03-2016 at 11:04 AM..

Old 06-03-2016, 02:41 PM

165 posts, read 194,667 times
Apparently Working in a call center is the highest peak of a Professional Career according to Hellion. The epitome of the American Dream. A call center. Lol

Old 06-03-2016, 02:46 PM

529 posts, read 1,086,910 times
Here we go again with ENGLISH. Yes, English is important, I'm bilingual. In fact Tri-lingual. However saying that Puerto Rico is a bilingual island is over rated, specially among Puerto Ricans who want the island to become a state. I think they have to push this exageration before the full truth gets out to the hill billy congressmen who will finally decide.

Yes being bilingual helps. However when I've been to the hinterland in Spain, Portugal and other European countries English is unheard of. It is even unheard of 20 miles outside Montreal, a supposedly bilingual country. Its also unheard of in the EBONICS areas of the United States. There English is called Cracker language or Whitey Language. LOL

Waiting for those who will scream bloody murder and say, " Hey wait a minute Clip, all Scandinavian countries are bilingial, + Germany+ many others".

However to be bilingual in these countries is largely over simplified. Bilinguals are the educated classes and youth, mostly those who have College and basically live in cities where tourists go. I could almost hear Hellion and VHS say, " Well I've been to Oslo, Stockholm and Berlin and EVERYBODY SPEAKS ENGLISH". LOL

If all the countries above were so bilingual why then do American and English movies have subtitles, like in Puerto Rico?

Puerto Ricans on the island are bilingual, basically among the classes I mentioned before. However most "bilinguals, apart from having an accent you could cut with a scissor, can't seem to follow a discussion in English. Giving basic directions to a lost tourist is as far as many can go. Hey, but that's better than most gringos can do in any language except English.

The majority of " bilingual Ricans" can't write on a forum like this, which at times requires expressing complex ideas. The majority of Ricans who call themselves Nuyoricans cant seem to follow a discussion in correct English or Spanish. So whats the big deal with English, it hasn't helped much the Blacks or Puerto Ricans? Thats the only language they know.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taquito View Post
Apparently Working in a call center is the highest peak of a Professional Career according to Hellion. The epitome of the American Dream. A call center. Lol

actually I didn't brought call centers. Mym did. Call Centers are tough competition because many countries bid for those type of services......but obviously you have no clue how a call center is set up and is a honest job and its a career opportunity to move up for anyone who wants a job and earn a pay check.

I used to work at the American Express call center fraud department in Utah when I was going to college and it was a good job paying job ($14 an hour to start with benefits and this was over 15 years ago)
...........making fun of a job when the island you live in has a high unemployment rate and not a pot to p!$$ in is very ignorant.

Puerto Rico has 900,000 jobs total, out of that 350,000 jobs are in government. That means for every 2 employees in the private sector, they have to pay the salary, benefits and retirement for life for 1 government employee. See the problem? that doesn't add up and will always put the government's budget in a hole.........you making fun of call centers like its beneath you shows how serious you are in solving Puerto Rico's situation.

a job at a call center is a lot better than being unemployed or on welfare or having a government job that does nothing but suck up taxpayers dollars but then again you are so smart that will create good professional jobs for Puerto Ricans from your computer.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:18 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,910 times
Call centers were originally sent overseas, like manufacturing, to maximize profits. Call centers are varied and are located from India, The Philippines, The English Speaking Caribbean and occasionally located in your neighborhood trailer park in Arkansas or Mississippi.

Its a job. its not necessarily the job one dreams of in the United States. However one has to speak English, not sounding Ebonics or Nuyorican like Daddy Yankee. Nonetheless, the call centers don't always abide by these rules. Ive had speakers from India and I couldn't understad a word they were saying. Same goes for West Indian speakers.

My experience has been that Asians, are always polite and repeat when requested. West Indians loose their cool and say, Call Again, in order to re direct the call.

American call agents are also polite, but sometimes their English has a heavy southern drawl, much like the hill billies in the movie Deliverance.

I dont know of any call agencies in Puerto Rico, but what I do know is that calling a government agency is a trip to hell. Phones ring for hours. Who ever designed their internet pages must have learned their craft in Timbuktu. Web pages change constantly, even those of CRIM, the government tax collection agency. Even if you want to pay, you cant. Wonder why the government is bankrupt?

I imagine some phone operators reading their text messages or talking on their IPhones and thinking, " Oh there goes that red signal again to answer the phone. Let them wait. " As you were saying Puruca........

Old 06-10-2016, 01:55 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Sadly, the next embarrassing fiasco to strike Puerto Rico will come somewhere around 2020. This is the year PR is predicted to run out of landfill space to bury its 8,000 to 12,000 tons of trash produced each and every day.

This waste management dilemma has been "discussed" - and nothing more than "discussed" - since 1988 (i.e., 28 years).

And of course, although the leading politicians have been aware of this for decades, not a one of them has mustered the testicular fortitude to do something about it. Nothing has been done on this front because waste management is not glamorous, nor is it a Point Winning topic among voters. Most voters are apathetic or unconcerned about this looming dilemma.

Unfortunately, the ones who've demonstrate a little passion about this are the ill informed opponents of Waste-to-Energy - the same ones who have opposed everything from the proposed natural gas pipeline on the north coast to cellphone repeater towers in Moca. They believe that progress is about saying NO to anything and everything that has to do with modernity. They're quick to oppose viable propositions yet bring absolutely nothing to the table of solutions. Their farfetched proposal is something called Cero Basura (Zero Waste), something which to date has not been achieved anywhere on the planet.

So, sit back and get ready for yet another embarrassing moment in our history. For as we say, Puerto Rico lo hace mejor (Puerto Rico does it better).

Old 06-10-2016, 09:07 PM

The US Official Natural Resources Dept Just Tweeted:

Vieques, Culebra, Pinones, Boqueron, Cordillera Central are now in Control.

Last edited by Taquito; 06-10-2016 at 09:18 PM..

Old 06-11-2016, 08:01 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taquito View Post
The US Official Natural Resources Dept Just Tweeted:

Vieques, Culebra, Pinones, Boqueron, Cordillera Central are now in Control.
Did you expect anything else from a Committee dominated by Southern Republicans?

The GOP is in the midst of a civil war between those (Trump, Jeff Sessions, Steve King, Joe Arpaio, Louie Gohmert, John Fleming, Tom Cotton, etc) who practice bigotry, intolerance, and White resentment (see the above 'tweet') and those like Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, Ben Sasse, Marco Rubio, and Nikki Haley who want to remain the party of Lincoln.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Did you expect anything else from a Committee dominated by Southern Republicans?

The GOP is in the midst of a civil war between those (Trump, Jeff Sessions, Steve King, Joe Arpaio, Louie Gohmert, John Fleming, Tom Cotton, etc) who practice bigotry, intolerance, and White resentment (see the above 'tweet') and those like Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, Ben Sasse, Marco Rubio, and Nikki Haley who want to remain the party of Lincoln.

Stop it with the non-sense........the bill passed with more DEMOCRAT VOTES in Congress than Republicans. Obama is in favor of the bill.

Republicans 139 YES 101 NAY
Democrats 156 YES 23 NAY

The only Civil WAR in the Republican Party is against the establishment which the Bush Family, Ryan, Romney, Rubio and Nikki Haley are part of with their endless wars, endless occupations, bad trade deals selling out the middle class of this country and open borders which is killing wages and jobs for our working class and they are being rejected by the voters.

Sanders tried to do the same thing against the establishment of the DEMOCRAT machine but lost. Hillary is too powerful in that party and has millions of dollars of SUPER PAC money.

"WHITE" resentment????? funny, black and mexican resentment are acceptable in the Democrat party and the media but if whites complain then they are the "racists".......this is why millions are tired of the double standards and political correctness.

Democrats make it all the time about race, gender and social classes but that's not racists when they do it....they bash the POLICE of this country as being too white and too racist but that's not racists from their part........come on man, I thought you know better than that then to repeat the hypocrisy from the left and the media.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:48 PM

Even Americans think this is full racism. Most are against the Nat Resources Tweet.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories