Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 08:23 AM

33 posts, read 83,368 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving to the USVI in a few months and are trying to decide which Island would be best for us.

I'd love to live on St. John but with the cost of living and lack of work, that might not be feasible for us. So, we had been discussing St. Thomas, as it is close enough to St. John and has more work opportunity. I will be working in the service industry and my boyfriend will be looking for work in multiple fields. He is a pool repair tech currently and also has trades in plumbing, electrician and mechanics, so we don't think finding work for him will be too difficult.

We had planned on STT but then started looking into St. Croix a bit more and it seems to be much more affordable. It looks like it's a bit slower pace of life, less touristy. I guess I'm trying to get some opinions from people that live in the Islands or have visited and can give me a better sense of life on each island.

We are in our late 20s and don't have children yet, so night life is important to us (restaurants, bars, music, movies, etc).
I heard that everything in st. croix is closed by 10pm. Is that true? We don't like to party hard all the time but we are still young and we enjoy going out.

We are looking for a more laid back lifestyle, we currently live in Austin, TX and are tired of traffic, the chaos, the over crowding, etc. We want a place we can create a home and enjoy everything the island life has to offer.
We would like to have kids eventually, so an area that also offers a comfortable family life would be preferable as well.

What are the job opportunities like in each area (especially considering the trade skills he has)?
If st. Croix is less touristy - is there still money to be made in the service industry?
What is the night life like on each island?
Which island is better for families?
Which Island is more safe?
Which offers more recreational things to do - aside from night life?

Appreciate all the help!

Last edited by LadyWray12; 06-27-2016 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 01:59 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,755 times
Not an easier answer considering your rather conflicting priorities.

Both Croix and Thomas beautiful

If Austin wasn't laid back enough for you (????) you'll like Croix better than Thomas. More rural, fewer hotels, resorts, cruise ships and big crowds in Thomas when several ships docked. Here you'd want St. Croix.

However, because Croix lesser tourism oriented it has a more boring night life, as you suspected. Then you would want St. Thomas.

More jobs for you and the husband, St. Thomas - more resorts, hotels, businesses catering to ships, etc = more jobs. Here you want St. Thomas.

You really must rank your priorities first. If you get a great job in Croix, somehow, you'll have money to take a puddle jumper or ferry to Thomas to party occasionally.

Have you personally checked them out yet? I'd really go there for a visit before moving to one or the other. quite different personalities.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:20 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times
STT Resident, who hasn't posted here in awhile, had some good advice. Do a PMV or "pre move visit." Invest in your happiness and check out both islands. Find out WHERE to live and WHERE work that suits you might be. There is always need for people that will show up and work diligently. Right now, the V.I. has already come even with the total number of homicides for 2015, and is on track to break some records. It's mostly gang bangin' little turds with guns shooting each other, but they're all someone's child or friend and it's simply discouraging.

All that said, we never had any problems. Loved it for nearly 15 years, going back shortly. Know your surroundings. Learn the ins and outs, how to renew your auto registration, driver's license, inspection lane. A lot of really, really nice people, but a few really, really bad ones. High cost of living. All food shipped in. Gas at least $1.00/gal. higher than Stateside. Electricity highest under the U.S. flag. Current Governor appears problematic, feathering his nest for the next election by tampering in other branches of Govt. Google "St. Thomas Source," the "Virgin Islands Consortium," "News of St. John," "St. John Tradewinds News" and read up.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:54 AM

33 posts, read 83,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Not an easier answer considering your rather conflicting priorities.

Both Croix and Thomas beautiful

If Austin wasn't laid back enough for you (????) you'll like Croix better than Thomas. More rural, fewer hotels, resorts, cruise ships and big crowds in Thomas when several ships docked. Here you'd want St. Croix.

However, because Croix lesser tourism oriented it has a more boring night life, as you suspected. Then you would want St. Thomas.

More jobs for you and the husband, St. Thomas - more resorts, hotels, businesses catering to ships, etc = more jobs. Here you want St. Thomas.

You really must rank your priorities first. If you get a great job in Croix, somehow, you'll have money to take a puddle jumper or ferry to Thomas to party occasionally.

Have you personally checked them out yet? I'd really go there for a visit before moving to one or the other. quite different personalities.
Thank you - This is quite helpful! Unfortunately, we don't have the time or means for a PMV. So, we will have to go where we can find work and we can always move if need be.

We are looking for more of a laid back feel, less crowds, chaos, traffic, etc. We were both raised in the country and want to go back to a more simple life style. Because of this I feel like we would really fit in with St. Croix. We want to live some where we can make a home and really experience island life. Not the spring break party life.
Of course, we like to go out and have fun but our fun is more like BBQ's, music, a nice dinner out, etc. and like you said, if we really get the urge to do some partying, STT isn't too far. I assume there are people on st. croix who like to be social as well? Everyone is kind of making it seem like a ghost town..

I do worry about jobs on St. Croix, like you said, they don't seem as abundant as they are in STT but my boyfriend has many trade skills and has already gotten some leads on st.croix... So we are hopeful !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories