U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2017, 06:17 AM
 
8,865 posts, read 2,922,769 times
Reputation: 3144

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I stand by my statement. We have an apartment on the Northside and lived there for nearly 15 years and had friends at all levels of society from ag rasta to my wife's buddy, Mrs. Dejongh. From the boatyard to the yacht club to the Court system, realtors, Catholic Charites and the Water Island eclectics for Sunday horseshoes to Syb's when Sybilly was still around, Hull Bay Hideaway when Larry still owned it to Bryan's when Bryan's still owned it to Bottom's Up (Carigas) when Bill still owned it to Lat 18 when Rick still owned it. Coral Bay to Cruz Bay to Red Hook to Frederiksted. And you call me dishonest? If you don't know how things "wok" in the V.I., you bein' dishonest. And you clearly don't.
No surprise that none of the questions posed to you were answered. Giving those answers would in fact reveal that the statements made by the other poster were false, as most of the answers provide no middle ground.

Do the majority of people refuse to throw their trash in the dump?
Is electricity out 80 percent of the time?
Is Red Hook the only safe place for white people?
Is the island extremely racist?

These are yes or no questions.

Instead of answering them, you chose to name drop to show that you have connections in the community. I will say this much, that is very much a “Virgin Island” thing to do. Your refusal to answer them and the way you responded to my post, let me know that we both know how things “wok.” In fact, we could have real conversation beyond surface nonsense about how things work here. But you would rather not contradict your fellow statesider. So that is dishonest. Then you wonder why some V.I. people hold the attitudes that they do towards statesiders. None of it does anyone any good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2017, 08:00 AM
 
2,312 posts, read 1,588,702 times
Reputation: 2324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Of course you will not reveal anything now but earlier you stated that you were only here for a few months.
It's really none of your business. You're trying to defend an island that has severe issues, and when they're pointed out, you go crazy and refuse to acknowledge them. I can come back and respond time and time again, but it's useless trying to argue with somebody who refuses to see the problems around them.

Quote:
It’s not about defending the island but about being TRUTHFUL.
Which I was. You're too involved with trying to force yourself to believe that STT is a good place to live.

Quote:
I am open to intelligent, substantive discussion regarding the VI
Only if it follows what you believe to be true.

Quote:
blatant falsehoods will be addressed.
I feel that I could type "There are sea turtles not too far from STT" and you'd find a way to "disassemble" what I wrote. You're just proving my point on the hive-mind that the island has.

Quote:
, it is best to keep a positive attitude and work toward change in the areas where it is needed.
There is no positive attitude once you see the major issues the island has. You have not experienced some of what I wrote because we're both from completely different racial backgrounds.

Quote:
It is a solid second
oh god.. my sides.


Quote:
but some are not cut out for certain challenges.
Like throwing their trash into a dumpster?

Quote:
Lastly, having a respectful and positive attitude goes far.
Ohh! So we're all suppose to be really respectful and happy, but yet we're suppose to keep that attitude when we're roaming around a hate filled island. Oh, my bad! I should've just kept smiling while people had a hateful attitude towards me because of where I came from. It's all clear now, oh god, I feel so terrible on my mindset now! I should've smiled and been cheerful. Yes... that's where I went completely wrong.

Quote:
Your attitude stunted you in St. Thomas.
You keep on pushing this "your" stuff on me. You have completely no idea who I am, how I acted, or what I've done while on the island. You're making up fairy tales to cater to your mindset and then pushing them off as "truth" on me. You're left wondering why I'm calling you cancerous.

Quote:
Negative attitudes are cancers.
St. Thomas is the king of cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2017, 07:01 AM
 
8,865 posts, read 2,922,769 times
Reputation: 3144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
It's really none of your business. You're trying to defend an island that has severe issues, and when they're pointed out, you go crazy and refuse to acknowledge them. I can come back and respond time and time again, but it's useless trying to argue with somebody who refuses to see the problems around them.
There is a difference between recognizing problems and choosing remaining positive and becoming bitter and angry to the point of lying.

Quote:
Which I was. You're too involved with trying to force yourself to believe that STT is a good place to live.

Only if it follows what you believe to be true.
No, in fact, it was not truthful. Just because things did not work out for you does not make it acceptable to lie. St. Thomas works for me right now and I am grateful for the opportunities afforded me here. That doesn’t mean that I do not have issues with various aspects of the island. What I don’t do is lie because something angers me.

For example, the electricity is an issue but we experience outages maybe 2-3 times a month for a few hours. Some months we have zero power issues. Your claim about power being out 80% of the time is a flagrant lie and stems from your bitterness. Problems can and should be discussed honestly.

Quote:
I feel that I could type "There are sea turtles not too far from STT" and you'd find a way to "disassemble" what I wrote. You're just proving my point on the hive-mind that the island has.
Remember that you said you were bitter, not me.

Quote:
There is no positive attitude once you see the major issues the island has. You have not experienced some of what I wrote because we're both from completely different racial backgrounds.

oh god.. my sides.
Ahhhhh so it’s about race to you. That we have different experiences due to background is likely true to a significant extent. However, my racial background is somewhat differs from the vast majority of St. Thomians as well. Many of them can tell right away.


Quote:
Like throwing their trash into a dumpster?
Obviously that was an issue for you.

Quote:
Ohh! So we're all suppose to be really respectful and happy, but yet we're suppose to keep that attitude when we're roaming around a hate filled island. Oh, my bad! I should've just kept smiling while people had a hateful attitude towards me because of where I came from. It's all clear now, oh god, I feel so terrible on my mindset now! I should've smiled and been cheerful. Yes... that's where I went completely wrong.

You keep on pushing this "your" stuff on me. You have completely no idea who I am, how I acted, or what I've done while on the island. You're making up fairy tales to cater to your mindset and then pushing them off as "truth" on me. You're left wondering why I'm calling you cancerous.

St. Thomas is the king of cancer.
Who is we? Because numerous people come down here and become a part of the community.

Your hateful attitude was met with hateful attitudes. I believe that some St. Thomians are very on guard when it comes to statesiders to the point of being hostile, largely because of how many statesiders have treated them. A smaller number are racist. Does that make those attitudes right? Nope, not on either side. Not sure what you thought such a rude and condescending attitude toward people on an island you call “dirty and poor” would render. Should they have kept smiling and been respectful and happy while being met with hate?

As someone who is neither a generational American (statesider) nor a St. Thomian/Virgin Islander, the problem is on BOTH SIDES. And it started with statesiders...

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 11-24-2017 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2017, 02:44 PM
 
2,312 posts, read 1,588,702 times
Reputation: 2324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
the problem is on BOTH SIDES. And it started with statesiders...
The problem started with neither, actually. They haven't forgiven anyone for this:

Quote:
Denmark-Norway conquered the island in 1666, and by 1672 had established control over the entire island through the Danish West India and Guinea Company. The land was divided into plantations and sugarcane production became the primary economic activity. As a result, the economies of Saint Thomas and the neighboring islands of Saint John and Saint Croix became highly dependent on slave labor and the slave trade. In 1685, the Brandenburgisch-Africanische Compagnie took control of the slave trade on Saint Thomas, and for some time the largest slave auctions in the world were held there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_...Virgin_Islands

Due to the white slave owners, the St. Thomas residents are still hateful towards the white man. So it is about race, sadly. It's been 345 years! Times have changed, but the STT mindset obviously hasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 04:11 AM
 
8,865 posts, read 2,922,769 times
Reputation: 3144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
The problem started with neither, actually. They haven't forgiven anyone for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_...Virgin_Islands

Due to the white slave owners, the St. Thomas residents are still hateful towards the white man. So it is about race, sadly. It's been 345 years! Times have changed, but the STT mindset obviously hasn't.
This shows you know very little about St. Thomas. Only around 25 percent of people in St. Thomas have an actual heritage on the island. Many of those people are of mixed heritage and hold certain Danish and French names. St. Thomians, especially the down the line St. Thomians, find value in preserving that mixture of African, Danish and French culture. That’s why there are efforts to preserve the Danish architecture, street names etc.

However, the majority of people only go back two or three generations. They come from other islands. What you don’t realize is that those people, particularly those from “down island,” faced much discrimination coming here. It is not nearly as bad now but it still exists.

You point to St. Thomas history when you don’t even know that most people don’t even go back that far here. That’s because all you see is race. That’s because of where you come from and the mentality you hold.

What you don’t understand is that the majority of people are indifferent to the fact that you are white. If they are rude, they will be rude to you just like anyone else. Not because you are white, but because they are rude. Part of this is because you don’t understand St. Thomian and even Caribbean culture in general. If your skin is black, one may call you a dutty black skunt. If you are white, they will call you a dutty white skunt. It doesn’t mean they are racist against you. That is a non-discriminatory way people curse. It isn’t right but often times, it isn’t racial. Again, you assume it is racial because of your culture, where you come from.

There is some racism here but particularly hostility from some against White Americans. Even some Frenchies don’t care for White Americans. In the past, many came down and segregated themselves just like they did from blacks in the States and treated them poorly. That did not go over well at all. St. Thomians don’t like that and they don’t want it. Because of that, some St. Thomians and people from other islands feel the less White Americans the better. That is also fed by the racism that some White Americans bring with them down here now. Like I said, it comes from both sides but it started with statesiders, particularly those who are white. Either way, it would behoove racist persons to get over themselves and move forward.

Lastly, when it come to St. Thomas, and the VI in general, it comes down to your attitude and what you are looking for. I know white and black statesiders who have moved down and have been here over 20 years and never want to go back to the States. Others leave for better opportunities and some because they dislike it. It just depends.

But anyway, I have a serious preference for St. Croix. I’ll be making my way there, likely permanently.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 11-25-2017 at 04:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 05:55 PM
 
2,312 posts, read 1,588,702 times
Reputation: 2324
Quote:
This shows you know very little about St. Thomas
I couldn't read all of your reply because all you do is just deny, deny, deny. You'll never accept facts. It's like trying to argue with a brick wall.

Quote:
Only around 25 percent of people in St. Thomas have an actual heritage on the island.
*slaps head* - I... just cannot continue with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 08:11 PM
 
8,865 posts, read 2,922,769 times
Reputation: 3144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
I couldn't read all of your reply because all you do is just deny, deny, deny. You'll never accept facts. It's like trying to argue with a brick wall.



*slaps head* - I... just cannot continue with you.

In other words, you prefer to be ignorant.

Yes, you should slap your head because if you didn’t know that...you really knew little about the place you chose to live. You shouldn’t continue at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 02:32 PM
 
1,452 posts, read 1,810,610 times
Reputation: 1708
Rose coloured glasses vs. someone who couldn't adapt to "Island Life." I stand by "the truth is somewhere in between."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 06:33 PM
 
8,865 posts, read 2,922,769 times
Reputation: 3144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Rose coloured glasses vs. someone who couldn't adapt to "Island Life." I stand by "the truth is somewhere in between."
Hahaha @ rose colored glasses. None of that here. I’m open to having realistic discussions.

But some cannot have real conversations because the truth might jump out. Can’t offend their fellow statesiders...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 07:05 AM
 
1,452 posts, read 1,810,610 times
Reputation: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Glad you left. Your post reeks of an entitlement complex and yes, bitterness. Firstly, people here are very aware of the racial climate and culture of the states and they do not want it here. This why even the local whites - Frenchies - often dislike many whites who come down from the states. Too many, like you, have angry condescending attitudes and get angry when people don't role out the red carpet for you because you're white. No one cares what you are here but racist and entitled attitudes will be checked. The stateside whites who are friendly and down to earth get along fine here.

Electricity is on most of the time so stop spreading false information. Only now that we were hit with Irma and Maria do we have a blackout.

Most people take out their trash. Some people litter. Again, stop spreading false information.

Yes, plenty homeless pets. Caribbean people are less concerned with animals. It's a cultural difference. Often times people from the states leave their animals when they go back home. These animals breed and breed.

Redhook safe? The hell it is. Redhook is full of drugs and drunk people. You only like it because it is mostly white. That is a place that I do not frequent at all. Police are always there and there are arrests made on the normal. I much prefer classy concerts at the Reichhold Center or when the soca artists come from other islands down at Crown Bay. When I do go out, I hang around the mature crowds rather than loud, belligerent drunks and drugs running down at Red Hook.

Lots of areas are safe at night, such as the areas where most of us live. You just can't go wandering drunk anywhere you please. That is not safe to do anywhere. I am not white and I rarely go out at night. Safety is paramount to me.

It's interesting that people understand they can't go everywhere at night in the states but complain when they go to the VI and other places in the Caribbean. People live in these places. They are not it's for leisure during your temporary stays.

Quit lying about the police force. It has issues but you have no idea the kind of work they do on the islands. Bet you don't have a clue all of the undercover operations that go on here. They risk their lives. The crime is bad but it is more confined to certain areas. The police are throughout those areas at any given time. Often times they work long hours and still don't see proper compensation. Overworked and underpaid.

People like you should stay where they are. The VI needs people who care about the community and will contribute to the betterment of the territory.

In the words of Tarrus Riley, DON'T COME BACK.
I went back and read this, but I'm done. You're wrong on many counts, and the other poster has a particularly extreme view. The way the V.I. works, if you're not sufficiently hooked up, you got issues. You're right about one thing, acting respectful and understanding things. I have experience with the police, as well, from fender benders to outright fraud and extortion. As well as many Federal agents.
There's a few good, a number of bad. I never thought any were "overwoked". Chief Querrard was a friend. He knew when to retire, and I remember him when he had a pony tail and worked with HIDTA. Front page of Daily News a few years ago, "on duty" officer pounding a Heineken at Coki. I believe he stayed with the department, as was the norm as far as "punishment" goes. Yeah. Wrong on many counts trying to overcome a perpendicular argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top