U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2017, 08:14 AM
 
8,865 posts, read 2,922,769 times
Reputation: 3144

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I went back and read this, but I'm done. You're wrong on many counts, and the other poster has a particularly extreme view. The way the V.I. works, if you're not sufficiently hooked up, you got issues. You're right about one thing, acting respectful and understanding things. I have experience with the police, as well, from fender benders to outright fraud and extortion. As well as many Federal agents.
There's a few good, a number of bad. I never thought any were "overwoked". Chief Querrard was a friend. He knew when to retire, and I remember him when he had a pony tail and worked with HIDTA. Front page of Daily News a few years ago, "on duty" officer pounding a Heineken at Coki. I believe he stayed with the department, as was the norm as far as "punishment" goes. Yeah. Wrong on many counts trying to overcome a perpendicular argument.
The problem is that you made assumptions. You are wrong on many counts and you seem to support extreme viewpoints.

The police force is not the only issue in his posts. Further, nowhere in my post did I state there are not issues with the police force. There certainly are. What I did say is that they are overworked and underpaid because that is currently the issue. You may have lived here previously but you do not reside here now. Do you know that there are officers that have not seen backpay for overtime they have worked? And that is not a new issue and it affects job performance. Are you aware that since Hurricane Irma they have been on 12 hour shifts and there have been issues with proper compensation? Interesting you did not address them being underpaid. Either way, when speaking about the police force (and other aspects of the VI), paint a fair picture.

Police departments all over the nation have issues, including the VI. Sadly fraud and extortion are nothing new among the departments. However, that doesn’t take away from the fact that there are hard-working, honest officers out here doing their jobs. Especially at a time like now, that should be acknowledged. That poster only offered one side. I gave him the other to consider.

Reality is that you no longer live here and are out of touch with the present. You also refuse to address the extreme viewpoints and give blanket statements about me being wrong. No specifics. Running from truthful discussion.

Yes, we are well aware that in th VI, it’s a who-you-know society, as it often is in small places. That doesn’t make the extreme view correct, however. Neither does not mean that that posters attitude wasn’t the main cause of his poor experience here. It’s likely was. A nasty attitude burns bridges and here that willget you blacklisted all around.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 11-29-2017 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2017, 10:29 AM
 
1,452 posts, read 1,810,610 times
Reputation: 1708
I made no assumption, honey, other than I recall you stating somewhere you've been there for 2 years. I love the V.I., with all its jumbies, but you are clearly without clue.

Last edited by Sunscape; 12-12-2017 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 02:54 PM
 
8,865 posts, read 2,922,769 times
Reputation: 3144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I made no assumption, honey, other than I recall you stating somewhere you've been there for 2 years. LOL! "Out of touch with the present." Nope. You are the one with extreme, incorrect views. I love the V.I., with all its jumbies, but you are clearly without clue.
Yes, in fact you did make assumption. Yes, two years consecutively...and I lived there previously.Yes, you are out of touch with the present, as you were unaware of the situations to which I referred. Oh previously you claimed the other poster had extreme views and now, since I don’t agree with you, my views are extreme as well. Yet you haven’t addressed them, as posed to you. LOLOL...dishonest indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 03:05 PM
 
1,452 posts, read 1,810,610 times
Reputation: 1708
Last post on the subject, I promise. I pointed out that the "truth is somewhere in between." Which meant between two extremes. It is a subject that has been beat to death over the years from both angles. We had to take a break because of family, but back down in January for good. Go argue with a trushie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 PM
 
8,865 posts, read 2,922,769 times
Reputation: 3144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Last post on the subject, I promise. I pointed out that the "truth is somewhere in between." Which meant between two extremes. It is a subject that has been beat to death over the years from both angles. We had to take a break because of family, but back down in January for good. Go argue with a trushie.
The truth is neither his view nor yours, which are both extreme. Your refusal to address certain issues shows that you side with his extreme. I’ve read this over the years as well and yes, it has been beaten to death. I’ve been in this thread and discussed how much higher the murder rate is in the VI than the majority of other islands. But unlike you, I’m not going to act like power is gone 80 percent of the time either. That’s outrageous and a downright nonsensical claim. My posts are the middle ground honey.

I responded to this thread again because after two Category 5s in this place and how people are working together through all the challenges, I’m not in the mood for the fluckery. Who doh like it, suck salt.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 11-29-2017 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 05:33 PM
 
8,865 posts, read 2,922,769 times
Reputation: 3144
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In fact the USVI along with PR are considered among the more dangerous islands, like the Bahamas, Jamaica, DR and Trinidad & Tobago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
There you have someone that doesn't know what they're talking about, spouting something they "heard." Lived in the USVI over 12 years. Grandchildren born there. Without glossing things over, we never had a problem. And we lived with the "common folk" not in some gated community. Jamaica, DR, T&T, Honduras? Yup. PR? Never had a problem there, either. And I had to go to Guaynabo MDC almost every month for several years as part of my work.
Whoa...wait...one minute you claim other people don’t know what they are talking about when they say that the USVI is considered among the more dangerous and how you’ve never had a problem. I am here acknowledging that the murder rate in fact one of the highest in the region, but that the crime tends to be concentrated in certain areas. And you accuse me of having rose-colored glasses? That must be because you are looking through yours...

There’s a lot you don’t know about the USVI and the Caribbean in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 12:09 AM
 
8,133 posts, read 6,389,604 times
Reputation: 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
The problem started with neither, actually. They haven't forgiven anyone for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_...Virgin_Islands

Due to the white slave owners, the St. Thomas residents are still hateful towards the white man. So it is about race, sadly. It's been 345 years! Times have changed, but the STT mindset obviously hasn't.
So basically the white man started the racism and yet you blame the blacks.

I was flying from STT to JFK and I was speaking to a white American girl who had been living there. She was laughing at the VI accent and how it isn't American. I reminded her that in STT it is SHE and NOT the locals who had the accent and just because these are US flag territories does that make their accent foreign just because it isn't American.

In the USVI its the VI accent which is the norm and the US accent which is alien, but she couldn't understand this, insisting that these are part of the USA so US norms should dominate.

I can see the frustration of locals made to feel like foreigners in their own island by state siders who come, establish businesses, discriminate against the local, and operate as if they are living in their own majority white suburb, instead of in the Virgin Islands. These people feel that the USVI "belongs" to them and not the locals, and they then become hysterically angry when they are corrected.

A client if mine who is a US based Dominican went to STT on vacation and he didn't like it. He didn't find the locals to be friendly but actually felt that it was because they were alienated in their own country because of the heavy presence of a dominant group of state siders. He noted that they were no nicer to each other than they were to him.

This is why the BVI and Anguilla insist that while they are UK territories that they maintain control over who is allowed to live there, limiting even UK citizens from the UK itself. They don't want to become foreigners in their own islands, and they cite the experience of the USVI and French St Martin as evidence of what happens if this is allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 07:12 AM
 
1,452 posts, read 1,810,610 times
Reputation: 1708
Well, no, not really. It is difficult to impart here. There is history going back to 1917 and the Navy takeover of the V.I. was a radical change. It was not nice. Things swung from generally, somewhat respectful Danish rule to U.S. Military rule, with some very racist people brought down for the "takeover". VI locals in general (but not all, because many of their roots extend to the DR, BVI, St. Lucia, etc.) also carry an unspoken disdain for all off-islanders. I have seen more condescension against downislanders than any other group in general. But there are also many, many, many fantastic locals with no agenda whatsoever other than getting along with everyone. With some, however, if you ain't "bahn hee," you're stealing someone's job and need to leave, but leave your money when you go. It also comes out in preferential government agency treatment from one person to the next, from the inspection lane to DLCA to IRB. I can understand that attitude carrying through generations even 100 years after the Navy takeover. Very interesting history if you can get to the truth of it.

Nobody has the answer. People are people, like the idiot you sat next to on the plane. No doubt. If the U.S. stepped out of the picture, the place would collapse. Who would be funding any of the hurricane cleanup? Certainly not the 110,000 or so residents of the V.I. Political chicanery is an accepted, traditional sport in the V.I.

One thing that is of concern lately is this new "tax bill" going through Congress. I haven't heard anything from the V.I. powers that be about it, but it will cut the hell out of V.I. income tax collections inasmuch as the IRB is a mirror system to the IRS and whatever rule changes congress makes will apply to V.I. taxpayers. At a time when they can ill afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 07:55 AM
 
8,865 posts, read 2,922,769 times
Reputation: 3144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Well, no, not really. It is difficult to impart here. There is history going back to 1917 and the Navy takeover of the V.I. was a radical change. It was not nice. Things swung from generally, somewhat respectful Danish rule to U.S. Military rule, with some very racist people brought down for the "takeover". VI locals in general (but not all, because many of their roots extend to the DR, BVI, St. Lucia, etc.) also carry an unspoken disdain for all off-islanders. I have seen more condescension against downislanders than any other group in general. But there are also many, many, many fantastic locals with no agenda whatsoever other than getting along with everyone. With some, however, if you ain't "bahn hee," you're stealing someone's job and need to leave, but leave your money when you go. It also comes out in preferential government agency treatment from one person to the next, from the inspection lane to DLCA to IRB. I can understand that attitude carrying through generations even 100 years after the Navy takeover. Very interesting history if you can get to the truth of it.
Oh now you want to acknowledge what has already been said. That has already been pointed out here but you claimed that it was extreme...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
[b]This shows you know very little about St. Thomas. Only around 25 percent of people in St. Thomas have an actual heritage on the island. Many of those people are of mixed heritage and hold certain Danish and French names. St. Thomians, especially the down the line St. Thomians, find value in preserving that mixture of African, Danish and French culture. That’s why there are efforts to preserve the Danish architecture, street names etc.

However, the majority of people only go back two or three generations. They come from other islands. What you don’t realize is that those people, particularly those from “down island,” faced much discrimination coming here. It is not nearly as bad now but it still exists.

You point to St. Thomas history when you don’t even know that most people don’t even go back that far here. That’s because all you see is race. That’s because of where you come from and the mentality you hold.

What you don’t understand is that the majority of people are indifferent to the fact that you are white. If they are rude, they will be rude to you just like anyone else. Not because you are white, but because they are rude. Part of this is because you don’t understand St. Thomian and even Caribbean culture in general. If your skin is black, one may call you a dutty black skunt. If you are white, they will call you a dutty white skunt. It doesn’t mean they are racist against you. That is a non-discriminatory way people curse. It isn’t right but often times, it isn’t racial. Again, you assume it is racial because of your culture, where you come from.

There is some racism here but particularly hostility from some against White Americans. Even some Frenchies don’t care for White Americans. In the past, many came down and segregated themselves just like they did from blacks in the States and treated them poorly. That did not go over well at all. St. Thomians don’t like that and they don’t want it. Because of that, some St. Thomians and people from other islands feel the less White Americans the better. That is also fed by the racism that some White Americans bring with them down here now. Like I said, it comes from both sides but it started with statesiders, particularly those who are white. Either way, it would behoove racist persons to get over themselves and move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 08:39 AM
 
1,452 posts, read 1,810,610 times
Reputation: 1708
You just want to argue with someone. Go argue wit a trushee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top