U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:42 AM

7,732 posts, read 8,775,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
LOL. His post was referring to the French side of St. Martin but inadvertently deleted the territory name in the beginning. He goes on to compare St. Thomas and St. Martin to other islands. Not to mention the use of the term metropoles.

Are you familiar with the term metropoles? Did you read the entire post?
Is that a term for French people from the European part of France living in an overseas part of France?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 04:41 PM

8,858 posts, read 2,916,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Is that a term for French people from the European part of France living in an overseas part of France?
Yes or metro/metropolitain...

Old 12-06-2017, 02:50 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,810,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yes or metro/metropolitain...
LOL. "Metropolitain" is the rapid transit system around Paris. "Metropolitan" is the big word you seek to lay on us iggorant masses.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
LOL. "Metropolitain" is the rapid transit system around Paris. "Metropolitan" is the big word you seek to lay on us iggorant masses.
*sigh* Metropolitain also refers to a mainland French individual who reside in a French territory.

See examples below:

“Parole d'agent : "Les Métropolitains qui vendent la Martinique connaissent encore mal notre ile”
https://www.google.com/amp/www.tourm...60188.amp.html

“Bonjour à tous tout comme en en france on connait le nombre d'antillais qui y reside , j'aimerais savoir le nombre de métropolitain qui reside en martinique, il y a t'il une recherche sur se sujet?
Combien de métro en Martinique - Forum Martinique

“Globalement, ces populations sont désignés sous le terme de « Métropolitains » ou « Métros », mais une distinction est parfois faite entre les installations récentes et celles plus anciennes.”
https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popu..._d%27outre-mer

And in English for you...
“Social markers: Martinican or metropolitain?
https://books.google.com/books?id=MU...inique&f=false

Old 12-06-2017, 04:15 PM

LOL...remember that when you point a finger at others, three are pointing back at you. You were so sure that I was wrong but offered no proof or actual reasoning, similar to your other comments. It has nothing to do with island expertise. Either it is a term used or it isn’t.

Someone directed a question to me and I answered. You interjected with a sarcastic response as though you had this supposed island expertise. And you were wrong.

That’s not my fault.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-06-2017 at 04:27 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 07:58 AM

LOLOL!

Anyway, hurricane recovery is coming along slowly but surely here in the USVI. Still many are without power but the goal is to restore approximately 90 percent of power by Christmas. It’s a lofty goal but, given the damage caused by the recent storms, even 75 percent would be quite good. The issue is replacing the poles concrete poles strong enough to withstand future storms and/or placing lines underground. This should have been done previously. Other islands that were hit restored power much more quickly and we lag behind.

Still cruise ships are here, stores are coming back etc. VI still nice.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-07-2017 at 08:37 AM..

Old 12-10-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Time View Post
LOL. It's very obvious that the place isn't all you crack it up to be. If it was, you'd be outside enjoying St. Thomas instead of on here arguing with people. Maybe you are secretly having doubts about living there?
Hahaha! Clearly you haven’t read my posts...

Old 12-10-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
You have so many posts I can see you spend most of your time on here, not out in Sunny St. Thomas.
Continue to troll...lolol

Old 12-11-2017, 08:43 AM

2,312 posts, read 1,588,270 times
Quote:
If these places so great, why does everyone born there try to leave them ASAP?
Not to mention leaving because the school system is terrible there also. They always come back to daddy (United States) if they want a remote chance of living a decent life. Once they get a criminal record, daddy doesn't even want them around the stateside population. Criminals flee to STT, but yet we're told it's a "paradise" there.. Yeah, a paradise of not wanting to serve your time.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
If these places so great, why does everyone born there try to leave them ASAP?
Which places? And how do you define “so great?” Remember those are your words, not mine. I enjoy living here but there are issues with this place, as stated earlier. It’s about what you want.

As far as the VI, everyone born here doesn’t try to leave ASAP. A number of them go away for their education and then return to decent jobs. Just depends.

If I could have the same job on certain other islands, I would go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories