Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:33 AM

620 posts, read 1,072,599 times

Advertisements

There seems to be so many other " sides" to PR other than San Jaun.

I wanted to book air BNB in san juan but also wanted a base to explore the west and the south of the island .. any suggestions for towns where I can book air bnb for a day or 2 ??

Also ... Any towns in the island that you would miss ???

Last edited by Popfizz; 08-28-2016 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 10:31 AM

233 posts, read 230,464 times
Book a condo in Old San Juan for say two nights but also get out of the town and visit this great island. Depends on what interest you, the following are some of the locations you might interest you:

A day trip from SJ is a visit to Cayey, one hour south, and enjoy the Lechoneras or roasted pork restaurants. The most famous of which is Los Pinos which was made popular by shows like those from Antony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern.

El Yunque National Park (a must IMHO). You can get an Airbnb/VRBO rental in nearby Luquillo, if not outright near the park entrance.

Rincon, on the west coast of PR is famous for its winter surfing. it is a nice little beachy town with a good ex-pat population during the winter. On your way there you can visit the caves of Camuy and the nearby observatory. After Rincon, you can visit nearby San German's centuries old Porta Coeli Church, and then drive down to Cabo Rojo.

Ponce, about 2 hours south of SJ on a mainly highway ride. Has the Caribbean's biggest art museum. The Mansion Serralles is worth going as well. A good accommodation might be hard to come by in Ponce though. If might be able to incorporate Ponce into your plans as part of Rincon-Cabo Rojo itinerary.

Culebra or Vieques (also known as the Spanish Virgin islands). Takes a bit of efforts to get there but worth it to spend 2 or 3 days relaxing on various island's beaches. There is a one hour ferry that departs from Fajardo.

Lastly, if you do decide to stay close to San Juan, in addition to OSJ, you can also spend a few days in Condado. Much more modern and has a bit of a South Beach feel (albeit less hectic) to it.

To do all these self-tours outside of town, you obvious would need a rental car and a bit of planning.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:16 PM

676 posts, read 960,321 times
I second the Ponce suggestion, but just for a day. The drive from San Juan is really nice, through rolling mountains (hills?). The center of Ponce is small but nice to walk around for 30 or 40 minutes. Some nice architecture. The best part is La Guancha, which is a cool boardwalk area.

As for San Juan, a couple days/nights in Old San Juan. Party at La Factoria. Condado is pretty boring IMO. Spend a day at the beach if you're into that, but otherwise, I'd pass. Check out the Santurce neighborhood, both day and night.

And yes, definitely a day at El Yunque.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:52 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
Start at SJ then visit El Yunque then Ponce. i would go everywhere but mayaguez but even there its not bad just not exciting

ask a travel agent from san juan about a tour of the southern area of PR. Have fun

Old 09-03-2016, 12:23 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
I have family in Ponce and a second home in Rincon..The Art Museum in Ponce is really cool as is La guancha as someone already mentioned..
I favor the West Coast but heading down to Luquillo on the old roads from SJ is fun.

someone mentioned the ride to Ponce from SJ..you feel like you are on top of the world with clouds actually below you..

look for the Monumento del Jibaro statue high in the hills, around Cayey.. a tribute to the hard working farmers of Agrarian PR.

I have traveled extensively over the years.. Europe Asia Hawaii, Guam, The Phillipines etc.

I made my first trip to PR in 1997 and have returned every year at least once a year..

You will be hard pressed to find a more lovely Island with such friendly and unpretentious people anywhere in this world.
Hope you have a great time.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:41 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,951 times
Just a little clarification from the great suggestion to visit the lechonerrias (Piglet's roasted over wood fires on giant rotisseries). The bulk of the best classic establishments aren't really in Cayey but in a little country mountain town nearby called Guavate. if you set your GPS on Guavate you can't miss the main "pig restaurant row".

Old 09-04-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Just a little clarification from the great suggestion to visit the lechonerrias (Piglet's roasted over wood fires on giant rotisseries). The bulk of the best classic establishments aren't really in Cayey but in a little country mountain town nearby called Guavate. if you set your GPS on Guavate you can't miss the main "pig restaurant row".
tis true...parking is pretty crazy mountainside..but well worth the trip.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:17 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,318 times
route 10 from arecibo to ponce is a drive that you will remember.

not sure if you can still visit the Arecibo Observatory. Near it are the Cuevas de Camuy. worth a visit. get there early.

Caguana Indigenous Ceremonial Park is that area. i dont think i have ever been. but if its anything like the Tibes one, you will see ceremonial ball parks, zemis and other neat stuff.

Lago Dos Bocas - manmade lake with obligatory chimney stack sticking out the water. there is a ferry that runs on the lake. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dos_Bocas_Lake.

san german has a super old church where Maria from Sesame Street got married. big bird was in attendance.

El Cañon San Cristobal - you wont have time to visit. is a secret.

joyuda - boqueron: sea food restaurant row and 'el poblado' beach town party place on the weekends. eat oysters and drink beer in cabo rojo. walk on the short boardwalk thru the mangroves in boqueron. go see El Faro and the Salinas that gave the place its name (old salt pans with red water due to some mircoorganism).

mayaguez has a zoo if you have kids

steps beach in rincon, decent snorkeling in the morning before the tide. good for lil kids due to protected tidal pools.

aguadilla has a parque acuatico, again for the kids.

anasco, is a quiet town with a plaza and not much else. tres hermanos beach is nice if it hasnt rained recently.

suggestion - find out if there is any fiestas patronales going on anywhere on the island and go check it out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiesta...in_Puerto_Rico

live music, street food, beautiful peoples, good times.

and lastly if you are into this, try hunting for taino petroglyphs - famous one is in Jayuya but there are more, or visit Tibes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibes_...emonial_Center) in Ponce.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:40 AM

you really covered this well.
.I forgot to mention Tibes..my FIL lives inJaime Drew Barrio just a few minutes away.

I love your line about Rt 10 to Ponce :-)

My Place is Rincon is not far from Steps playa..
Beautiful sunsets there, especially in March.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:20 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
My Place is Rincon is not far from Steps playa..
Beautiful sunsets there, especially in March.
yeah or at a roadside stand in a curve by a mango tree buying a pincho and a medalla after a rain storm when the asphalt is still steaming and the air smells like garden hose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories