U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:35 PM

41 posts, read 52,885 times

Advertisements

Back from my trip and here are my Uber experiences in Puerto Rico.
1. Uber has been in PR just about 6 months (so, mid-2016) per our driver(s), so there are times when pickups are a challenge.
2. No Uber available at the airport because taxis have it all locked up. Taxis charge for the ride and $1 per piece of luggage and then expect a tip. So they cost about twice Uber fares.
3. Stayed at Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde (Carolina area). Our very first driver cancelled because of poor communication. Subsequent drivers - and we - knew to pick up at the street and not to pull into the hotel driveway. It was made easier because the app advises you of the driver's vehicle make and license plate # although knowing the vehicle color would be helpful.
4. Pickup in Old San Juan was a challenge as we had to meet him at a certain location on a street with hard to find signage. It's easier when there are 2 of you looking!
5. Uber worked great taking us TO the port. However, they were unable to get anywhere near the port for the return trip (one of those ??? experiences).
6. Uber worked great taking us back TO the airport and no problems dropping us off at the ticketing, just as any normal "friend" would do.

So, in short, there are bugs to be worked out and inconsistencies abound. We had really nice careful drivers with well-maintained vehicles. They did best when they picked up at known hotels/locales, and you were able to give a drop off point decided upon ahead of time.

Tips are included in the Uber price.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 10:12 AM

25 posts, read 90,209 times
So what's cheaper from airport to hotel taxi or shuttle. Quote for shuttle was 30 each!!! Going to intercontinental.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:21 AM

41 posts, read 52,885 times
Taxi will be cheaper and more direct. I think it was about $22 including luggage at $1/piece (3) going to Courtyard Isla Verde. Shuttle is more expensive plus you have to wait around for people and it just takes so much longer. There's no advantage to it.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 981 times
Default Uber in PR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea44 View Post
No, there is no Uber in Puerto Rico. Maybe only in San Juan, but not in the smaller towns.
Yes we do have Uber in PR. It started last year. I know because Im a driver.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:43 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,948,486 times
Uber may operate throughout Puerto Rico – Caribbean Business

Old 03-29-2018, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 691 times
Uber service in PR is poor. Uber is a lot better in Florida, Atlanta, New York, etc...but in PR after the hurricanes, their system went worse than ever, you have to wait a lot of time to be picked up and use the service. We hope LYFT come to PR as soon as they can, UBER do what ever they want in San Juan, sometimes I have to wait almost half an hour on a 3 mile pick up. The UBER service in Puerto Rico is really the worst nightmare. We are waiting for LYFT to come as soon as they can, because we are using most of the time TAXIS, the price is ridiculuos......

Old 04-04-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ramon View Post
Uber service in PR is poor. Uber is a lot better in Florida, Atlanta, New York, etc...but in PR after the hurricanes, their system went worse than ever, you have to wait a lot of time to be picked up and use the service. We hope LYFT come to PR as soon as they can, UBER do what ever they want in San Juan, sometimes I have to wait almost half an hour on a 3 mile pick up. The UBER service in Puerto Rico is really the worst nightmare. We are waiting for LYFT to come as soon as they can, because we are using most of the time TAXIS, the price is ridiculuos......
I found it to be responsive in san juan but nowhere else. Personally, I do prefer lyft and think it's a better run company as a whole.

Quote:
Customers may also cancel the trip free of charge when more than 5 minutes have elapsed past the driver’s estimated time of arrival.
Personally I'm tired of getting gouged by taxis at the airport.

Tom, do you think this change is good?

Old 08-24-2018, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 500 times
Headed tp Old San Juan in late January. Sounds like ~ a year ago UBER was around, but unavailable @ SJU airport. Is that still the case today??

Old 08-29-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamassey232 View Post
Headed tp Old San Juan in late January. Sounds like ~ a year ago UBER was around, but unavailable @ SJU airport. Is that still the case today??
Uber willing to pay pickup fee to Puerto Rico international airport – Caribbean Business
latest info I found
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories