Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 01:53 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post

Lastly, if you think this is where the problem stops, you're mistaken. This isn't a Puerto Rico problem anymore. This is a state of Florida problem. I joke with my father often that Florida would be better off going to Congress and the department of the interior, and make a bid for the purchase of the territory to be incorporated under the State of Florida. It might actually save them money to be frank. Because as of right now, it's 2mm people they just haven't acknowledged yet. These aren't Cubans or El Salvadorians, these are folks that with one 99 dollar ticket on Spirit or JetBlue, they become Florida residents right ricky tick. Ruh roh. Might as well move this thread to the Florida sub-forum, cuz that's where this discussion is going.

LMAO! Puerto Ricans only move to Florida? they don't know the other 49 states?

any U.S. citizen can buy a 1 way ticket to anywhere in the 50 states and become resident right ricky tick, that's how it works, you discovered this now? LOL .....hell! most don't use a plane, they drive across the interstate highway with a U-Haul truck.......many Puerto Ricans take their U.S. Citizenship for granted.....they don't know what is like to ask permission 6 to 9 months for a work visa or to vacation in the U.S. to see if they get approved which is not a given or a right, since only the privilege and people well connected with the government in the banana republics get that access.

New York and New Jersey survived for decades with the Puerto Rican flow crossing, Florida will be alright......just keep it Republican state run of lower taxes and limited government and they will alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 05:32 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
LMAO! Puerto Ricans only move to Florida? they don't know the other 49 states?

any U.S. citizen can buy a 1 way ticket to anywhere in the 50 states and become resident right ricky tick, that's how it works, you discovered this now? LOL .....hell! most don't use a plane, they drive across the interstate highway with a U-Haul truck.......many Puerto Ricans take their U.S. Citizenship for granted.....they don't know what is like to ask permission 6 to 9 months for a work visa or to vacation in the U.S. to see if they get approved which is not a given or a right, since only the privilege and people well connected with the government in the banana republics get that access.

New York and New Jersey survived for decades with the Puerto Rican flow crossing, Florida will be alright......just keep it Republican state run of lower taxes and limited government and they will alright.
NO this is incorrect information

Old 05-07-2017, 04:19 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
If you have patience, here's a long detailed article which clearly explains how PR got into the mess it's currently in:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/05/b...debt.html?_r=0

Old 05-07-2017, 10:48 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
If you have patience, here's a long detailed article which clearly explains how PR got into the mess it's currently in:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/05/b...debt.html?_r=0
The article only explains the financial details of the bond tax exemption. A tangential symptom at best, hardly causal. The article does not address at all the real reason for the budgetary deficit. That being of course, the fact that private industry cut bait and bailed with the sun-setting of IRS section 936. The rest has just been protracted but predictable history.

You gotta bring back the private industry incentive, and you have to upgrade the island's infrastructure. Now to be clear, section 936 was highway robbery on the part of the pharmaceuticals and electronic manufacturers, and it didn't improve the lot of Puerto Rican wage earners in the same proportion that the tax breaks benefited said pharmaceutical companies, especially when compared to the wages (early-to-mid 1990s) of mainlanders. BUT, it was certainly better than the alternative, which is what we got today.

This is an article describing the real death blow that precipitated all of this.

Bottom line. You have an island economy, where everything is more expensive to produce and ship. Hawaii is no different, to be clear. PR could eat Hawaii's lunch in agricultural output alone, based on our proximity to the CONUS. What we lost and they kept was the DoD subsidy, since our geopolitics became less critical due to combat radius overlap with Florida. But because those even more nativist, haole-hatin' Hawaiians are a State, they have pork-barrel representation in Congress while Puerto Ricans get told to sit their collective @---s down on the bleachers and audit the course, like a scolded child being talked down to. So keeping Hawaii afloat (pun intended) with DOD money (#2 industry, 20% of the island is on DOD payroll!!!!) is par for the course, but Puerto Rican over-reliance on state government employment is all of a sudden blasphemy? Copy, hypocrisy noted. More second class citizen neo-colonialism is what that is.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:24 AM

28 posts, read 31,853 times
...from my view across the mona channel.. only 60 miles away, in Dominican Republic, and I am American...did I miss something or was the fact that PR. defaulted on their national debt, not talked about, then the PR government wanted the US to pay? Most native Dominicans now do not want to immigrate to the island of PR......just asking....the word I am hearing is PR will get freedom. but never statehood, this matter has been talked about as long as I can remember, thats a long time....as long as the PR government is similiar to all other latin american countries, the hope of a better tomorrow is dim.....just my thoughts.....

Old 05-10-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havana day dreaming View Post
...from my view across the mona channel.. only 60 miles away, in Dominican Republic, and I am American...did I miss something or was the fact that PR. defaulted on their national debt, not talked about, then the PR government wanted the US to pay? Most native Dominicans now do not want to immigrate to the island of PR......just asking....the word I am hearing is PR will get freedom. but never statehood, this matter has been talked about as long as I can remember, thats a long time....as long as the PR government is similiar to all other latin american countries, the hope of a better tomorrow is dim.....just my thoughts.....
They have freedom but bad economy. Yah statehood may never happen. and the dominicanos always had problems getting in PR.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:17 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havana day dreaming View Post
Puerto Ricans don't need to made free from anyone. They already have freedom.

As for statehood? We'll just wait till the White Trash Party is out of power (something that comes closer and closer with each passing second thanks to the Orange Buffoon), Democrats will eagerly make Puerto Rico a state in an attempt to get more Electoral College votes.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:13 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Puerto Ricans don't need to made free from anyone. They already have freedom.

As for statehood? We'll just wait till the White Trash Party is out of power (something that comes closer and closer with each passing second thanks to the Orange Buffoon), Democrats will eagerly make Puerto Rico a state in an attempt to get more Electoral College votes.

I hate to admit this but, I might be "that one guy" who has the most pessimistic outlook regarding Puerto Rico's future.

Why my pessimistic outlook? For a whole bunch of reasons, namely:
  1. $123 BILLION combined outstanding debt
  2. 11.5% sales tax; the highest ANYWHERE in the USA
  3. High cost of electricity: somewhere between 0.20 to 0.27 cents/KWhr
  4. 12.4% Unemployment rate
  5. Growing shortage of medical professionals
  6. High incidence of robbery and other crimes
  7. Critical shortage of landfill space (FYI: ALL EXISTING LANDFILLS IN PUERTO RICO WILL REACH MAX CAPACITY BETWEEN 2020 AND 2024! THEN WHAT?)
As a result of these grim facts, I foresee more emigration from PR to mainland USA and/or neighboring islands (e.g., Dominican Republic). If I lived in PR today, I'd be researching a new country or US state to move to, and planning accordingly.

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-11-2017 at 11:50 AM..

Old 05-10-2017, 02:04 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
and the dominicanos always had problems getting in PR.
They do a lot of 'recreational boating' across the Mona Channel in the evening/night time hours...
then disappear into the Sierra 'round my place in Rincón. ..

then they make their trek to SJ.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories