Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:52 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times

Advertisements

Puerto Rico struggles to save historic buildings amid crisis – Caribbean Business

Look like some of the buildings I've wondered about are no this list. should PR (or San Juan) pass a hotel tax to help fund restoration? I know a few cities do this, or should they bank on the non-profit route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 09:55 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,948 times
turn them into privatized museums? i think tourists would appreciate more little museums.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:09 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default La isla completa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Puerto Rico struggles to save historic buildings amid crisis – Caribbean Business

Look like some of the buildings I've wondered about are no this list. should PR (or San Juan) pass a hotel tax to help fund restoration? I know a few cities do this, or should they bank on the non-profit route?
PR & likely San Juan are in budgetary crisis. & I believe the US Congress put into place a finance emergency group to help bring the PR budget back into balance, over the long term (think 20+ years). I doubt that historic preservation is anywhere near the top of the list of to-do items. It's more like police, hospital/health, education, public infrastructure, ports, airports, transportation & on & on.

They'll probably need private/public collaborations - like architectural/trade schools providing some engineering/architecture/trained expertise/muscle to carry out some historic building repairs. Someone needs to spearhead that effort, & scrounge up either materials or money or both to put into the effort. I like the suggestion in the URL comments - start a fund-raising effort that targets the PR population living in the US & elsewhere. Heritage is important, & helps the tourist segment of the economy. Hotels & gambling & restaurants & airports & tour buses & such might contribute out of self-interest. A hotel tax is a possibility, but good luck making the case against a background of government's dire fiscal condition.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
PR & likely San Juan are in budgetary crisis. & I believe the US Congress put into place a finance emergency group to help bring the PR budget back into balance, over the long term (think 20+ years). I doubt that historic preservation is anywhere near the top of the list of to-do items. It's more like police, hospital/health, education, public infrastructure, ports, airports, transportation & on & on.

They'll probably need private/public collaborations - like architectural/trade schools providing some engineering/architecture/trained expertise/muscle to carry out some historic building repairs. Someone needs to spearhead that effort, & scrounge up either materials or money or both to put into the effort. I like the suggestion in the URL comments - start a fund-raising effort that targets the PR population living in the US & elsewhere. Heritage is important, & helps the tourist segment of the economy. Hotels & gambling & restaurants & airports & tour buses & such might contribute out of self-interest. A hotel tax is a possibility, but good luck making the case against a background of government's dire fiscal condition.
Preservation itself may not be but tourism has to be...and when tourist attractions are being closed and places that attract dollars to the island are crumbling it inhibits the islands ability to pay for services

Old 07-02-2017, 06:50 PM

11 posts, read 16,367 times
I've been to some of these buildings and imo they are beautiful, but sadly we have far worse infrastructure problems the governor is likely looking into.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebd1985 View Post
I've been to some of these buildings and imo they are beautiful, but sadly we have far worse infrastructure problems the governor is likely looking into.
The time to focus on one thing at a time is long past.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:04 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times
As much as I love PR, these issues are present stateside as well. The political climate currently unfortunately will ensure that projects like these are kept on the backburner. No one REALLY cares until its too late....sadly.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:19 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
why should the government be in charge of this? that's the problem....obviously they can't handle a huge government and nobody knows where exactly the taxpayers dollars goes......so let the private sector buy it and take care of it. Put condos, museums or restaurants.....anything is better in how the local government has handle this.

Its like the bridge in the Condado Dos Hermanos, take forever to finish maintenance causing big traffic in front of the hotels and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing because its a big bureaucracy with the city government and contractors and sub-contractors.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:18 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
The uncaptioned picture might be mistaken for Havana and the colonial infrastructure neglected under the Communist regime.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:47 PM

If some of the properties cam be restored simply by selling them off so be it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories