Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 06:10 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

Relatives came through ok. They have cell service, a generator and gas stove. Lots of trees down. One of their apartments on the 6th floor in San Juan had an inch of sand and water inside, despite the fact that no windows or doors were broken. Someone else lost their garage doors and had a broken window. Small trouble compared to others.

The airport can't open until at least Sunday because of flooding, so that makes it harder to get aid in.

As people get more desperate, they are afraid of looting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 07:01 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
there was one flight out of san Juan to Philly late last night..the people waited for hours because every bag ticket had to be hand checked like the old days.

They interviewed some of the arrivals this morning.
The people said that there is not much of anything, but people are sharing wht little they have.
There were 3 flights scheduled out this morning but as of 8 am they have sadly been cancelled.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:10 AM

I presume that everyone is banding together to help each other? That's the only good thing that comes from these terrible storms.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:21 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Relatives came through ok. They have cell service, a generator and gas stove. Lots of trees down. One of their apartments on the 6th floor in San Juan had an inch of sand and water inside, despite the fact that no windows or doors were broken. Someone else lost their garage doors and had a broken window. Small trouble compared to others.

The airport can't open until at least Sunday because of flooding, so that makes it harder to get aid in.

As people get more desperate, they are afraid of looting.
Actually, I believe the San Juan and Ponce airports are open but only for military and Federal government aircraft. The Aguadilla airport will open possibly tomorrow or Monday, but again only for military use. The Kentucky National Guard and Ohio National Guard are using the airport as a staging area and command center.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:55 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Did anyone else feel there was a dearth of media coverage of Huracán Irma's impact on Puerto Rico?

I'm thinking it could have been the fact that power was knocked out in a lot of areas,
and the news feeds might have been stymied..BUT

just about all the intel I received was from private parties, familia, friends. etc.

Maybe because the Island wasn't hit as hard as was predicted?

But, Florida sure is getting full media attention and hype.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Of course Florida is getting all the hype. The Weather Channel doesn't know there is an entire other country and world beyond the South.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:20 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Actually, I believe the San Juan and Ponce airports are open but only for military and Federal government aircraft. The Aguadilla airport will open possibly tomorrow or Monday, but again only for military use. The Kentucky National Guard and Ohio National Guard are using the airport as a staging area and command center.
Ramey AFB in Aquadilla has been sending out recon flights for the last two days..but like you said, Military/Govt. only.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:08 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Sju is open to limited commercial traffic but only relief workers are being allowed in.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Well, that's ok, because they will bring the necessary aid, I guess. I'll just say this, because I don't know if PR residents know. When there is trouble on the mainland, electric company trucks from the north, come down to help. If Puerto Rico feels bereft of help, it doesn't mean we don't want to come, it's just a logistics thing.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:23 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Just say a Facebook post about my friend in Santa Isabel.

"We are all okay, without water, power and cellphone. House and cars are okay. Dealing with water and food supply, there are long lines to buy gas, ice, and food. We have what's necessary."

Old 09-25-2017, 09:21 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, that's ok, because they will bring the necessary aid, I guess. I'll just say this, because I don't know if PR residents know. When there is trouble on the mainland, electric company trucks from the north, come down to help. If Puerto Rico feels bereft of help, it doesn't mean we don't want to come, it's just a logistics thing.
There should be a plan to fly in additional repair vehicles & parts/materials, along with volunteer personnel to help the local utility workers get on with the rebuilding.
Of course that would take some efficiency on the part of the federal government.

The military has its response capability, and I did hear they were operating out in the VI & other islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories