Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the federal response to PR equal to the response to any US state affected by hurricanes?
Yes 41 38.68%
No 65 61.32%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 05:51 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,699,073 times

Advertisements

They are actually getting more help if you factor in location and the transportation issues and obstacles. However, the pre-hurricane financial problems indicate a sore lack of leadership.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:53 PM

665 posts, read 614,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
It's shameful. Honestly. This is why many Puerto Ricans want to leave America.
The fact is when there was a past referendum or vote for PR to become an independent nation, most of the residents said no and that they want to remain US citizens (for obvious reasons probably). Many PRs want to leave the island because it is in a deep recession and there's no end in sight and this was before the hurricanes.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:39 PM

1,235 posts, read 733,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietstormP View Post
Let them leave. Plenty of Puerto Rican flag waving over the top arrogant proud immigrants who identify as Americans third after their religion are now begging the USA to help their people .

USA does not stand for Ultimately Supplying Aid for all. USA can't be responsible for everyone. You can't expect everyone to rescue you. That nation has to do for themselves. Pick yourselves up. Idiot PR government is to blame. You live on an island that is vulnerable to hurricanes but, have no plans in place for a total disaster.

No one can stop nature as it is a key controller in natural selection. Many will die in Puerto Rico in the coming weeks. The sick, overweight, the elderly, the injured and so on. It happens death is a part of this world.

Texas is priority, for the USA to make sure it is up and running. Texas brings in a lot of money to the economy.
Puerto Rico is a US Territory and thus it SHOULD help them.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:49 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,497,858 times
PR is next to Cuba, where the Castro regime is at least getting some propaganda fuel, and could be planning a revolution, or may just stand by and let inevitability happen.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:17 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,570,713 times
We need the military there in large numbers. To restore order and keep the peace. One of the big problems right now is people are afraid to drive trucks inland due to the risk of looting and worse. If they had military assistance it would be much easier to get the goods to the people. I myself want to help and have donated... but there is no way I would drive through some areas without weapons, armor, and a large group onhand. It really IS getting that dire.

The part that pisses me off the most is that Trump criticized the Puerto Rican people for not wanting to put their lives into their own hands more than they already have. Like he would ever have even half the bravery some of these people have shown. His response is a disgrace and he is beyond clueless! Watching the mayor of San Juan beg for help today made me so sad. We donate all this money and it just sits there at the ports due to Trump's stupidity, racism, and arrogance. I really do believe if there is a hell he will be going. He has the nerve to be at his golf resort while people die left and right! No American should ever have to drink dirty creek water. No senior citizen should ever have to die due to a lack of generator fuel. It is sickening!

I also want to say SHAME ON YOU to those who are only thinking of money. I wonder if it was your grandparent, cousin, niece, nephew... if you would be singing the same tune. Some of these comments are unbelievable. If we can pay for pointless wars we can put some military in P.R., we have the largest military on Earth for Christ's sake. No wonder the world shakes its head at us, wondering what the hell happened to America.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 09-30-2017 at 08:27 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 07:23 PM

282 posts, read 233,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietstormP View Post
Let them leave. Plenty of Puerto Rican flag waving over the top arrogant proud immigrants who identify as Americans third after their religion are now begging the USA to help their people .

USA does not stand for Ultimately Supplying Aid for all. USA can't be responsible for everyone. You can't expect everyone to rescue you. That nation has to do for themselves. Pick yourselves up. Idiot PR government is to blame. You live on an island that is vulnerable to hurricanes but, have no plans in place for a total disaster.

No one can stop nature as it is a key controller in natural selection. Many will die in Puerto Rico in the coming weeks. The sick, overweight, the elderly, the injured and so on. It happens death is a part of this world.

Texas is priority, for the USA to make sure it is up and running. Texas brings in a lot of money to the economy.
I guess you didn't get the memo: Puerto Ricans aren't immigrants. They're Americans. Puerto Rico has been a US Territory since 1898, and Puerto Ricans have been officially American citizens since 1917. Their government is headed by the President of the United States. He is their chief commander. They are not a "Nation." WE are their nation. They are a territory.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:07 PM

3,905 posts, read 2,220,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Puerto Rico is a US Territory and thus it SHOULD help them.
Amen my friend!

Old 09-30-2017, 10:11 PM

665 posts, read 614,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjkj View Post
They should have used some of those billions they borrowed on teh power grid. Instead of on whatever they wasted it on.
They lost revenue because the big corps left the island after the tax breaks ended for them. If you're losing revenue you can't pay off new equipment, maintenance, capital projects and other necessities for a functioning government. Also their bonds are very attractive on the bond market because there are triple tax exempt (local, state, and federal). Since they are not a state they can't file for bankruptcy like a city or state. If they could they would have already did it and negotiated new terms for bond repayments.

All of this is well documented. Until PR gets statehood like Hawaii the current state of affairs will continue until the economy collapses entirely.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:14 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,603,125 times
[quote=Nattering Heights;49684124]PR is next to Cuba, where the Castro regime is at least getting some propaganda fuel, and could be planning a revolution, or may just stand by and let inevitability happen.[/QUOTE ] What are you saying, exactly, that Puerto Rico is some communist hotbed, or something? That is idiotic. These people are dying. You apparently don't give a flying rats butt. Sorry for you, sorry for mankind.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 10-01-2017 at 12:24 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 08:15 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,922,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
We need the military there in large numbers. To restore order and keep the peace. One of the big problems right now is people are afraid to drive trucks inland due to the risk of looting and worse. If they had military assistance it would be much easier to get the goods to the people. I myself want to help and have donated... but there is no way I would drive through some areas without weapons, armor, and a large group onhand. It really IS getting that dire.

The part that pisses me off the most is that Trump criticized the Puerto Rican people for not wanting to put their lives into their own hands more than they already have. Like he would ever have even half the bravery some of these people have shown. His response is a disgrace and he is beyond clueless! Watching the mayor of San Juan beg for help today made me so sad. We donate all this money and it just sits there at the ports due to Trump's stupidity, racism, and arrogance. I really do believe if there is a hell he will be going. He has the nerve to be at his golf resort while people die left and right! No American should ever have to drink dirty creek water. No senior citizen should ever have to die due to a lack of generator fuel. It is sickening!

I also want to say SHAME ON YOU to those who are only thinking of money. I wonder if it was your grandparent, cousin, niece, nephew... if you would be singing the same tune. Some of these comments are unbelievable. If we can pay for pointless wars we can put some military in P.R., we have the largest military on Earth for Christ's sake. No wonder the world shakes its head at us, wondering what the hell happened to America.
Woah... Woah... you are all over the place - wars...Trump. Discuss, don't rant.

Security might be part of the issue but the main problem simply is no drivers, and maybe some red tape. Now the army can help with that, I mean heck the teamsters is looking for volunteers in the states that will send over licensed truckers at some expense. I mean, isn't that crazy? To fly a trucker 800 miles to drive a truck in Puerto Rico because there own truck drivers won't show up.

But one must ask - certainly Puerto Rico has truck drivers, and the government says none of them are showing up. Puerto Rico has police, they have dock workers, they have administrators. What exactly are they doing? The roads are clear from what I am reading, fuel is at least at the ports.

Now Trump says stupid stuff at the wrong time, but in this case he is exactly correct - there is a central and a local government that has to work together here. The central government is pulling through, but - Puerto Rico leadership needs to get to work. Now the good people in the interior are waiting for supplies, from what little we are hearing they aren't blaming the US government, but local leadership. That's on leaders such at the mayor who should be using local resources to manage distribution.

Now if what we are hearing is correct, there are other things going on - Island politics, some battle between the governor and mayor, union and labor issues, mayor wants to embarrass the governer, etc. That's terrible that any politician should use this opportunity for personal or professional benefit, or any organized labor to also attempt to benefit, and that's exactly what it looks like in terms of the mayor's complaints and local truckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
PR is next to Cuba, where the Castro regime is at least getting some propaganda fuel, and could be planning a revolution, or may just stand by and let inevitability happen.
I can't even begin to comprehend what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories