Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:23 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I hope when infrastructure gets rebuilt that they bury cables so another hurricane doesn't have the same affect on power. Yes it is more expensive but you only have to do that one time instead of rebuilding after every storm.
I heard a report to that effect just yesterday. It involves Elon Musk's proposal to rebuild PR's conventional power grid into one which includes solar/wind driven energy. The term micro-grids was mentioned. Micro-grids make the most sense; that is, small grid segments able to isolate from the main grid, and able to self-supply through solar, wind, or even backup diesel generators.

Sadly, the report ended by stating that, given the urgent need for electrical power supply, PR's power grid would most likely be rebuilt as it was prior to the hurricane.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 09:09 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I heard a report to that effect just yesterday. It involves Elon Musk's proposal to rebuild PR's conventional power grid into one which includes solar/wind driven energy. The term micro-grids was mentioned. Micro-grids make the most sense; that is, small grid segments able to isolate from the main grid, and able to self-supply through solar, wind, or even backup diesel generators.

Sadly, the report ended by stating that, given the urgent need for electrical power supply, PR's power grid would most likely be rebuilt as it was prior to the hurricane.

The Musk proposal is a long term thing, FEMA money can only be used to rebuild the existing power system.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:25 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The Musk proposal is a long term thing, FEMA money can only be used to rebuild the existing power system.

I was stationed at RR during Georges and we buried cable and fiber after that on the base itself. I know that helps no one today I am only explaining that some people in government did think ahead even back then. We didn't use FEMA money to bury the cable though.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:51 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Burying the cable is not in the interest of those mainland oligarch interests who wish to see PREPA divested and privatized moving forward along with the rest of the island. Remember folks, the end game here is to displace the "brown" people and sell off the coastline real estate at firesale, then making the island into another CONUS-oligarch and foreign investor's disposable toilet paper playground, with native or Hispañola-imported (DR/Haiti) labor. Improving the infrastructure ahead of the "brown" people being displaced is not compatible with that end. The cable-burying comes after the sale is effected.

There's a reason Hawaiians are as ethnocentric against anglos as they're stereotyped to be. Dynamics regarding Puerto Rico are no different in that regard.

As it pertains to the rank and file mainlander, this is a pay me now or pay me later type thing. They won't be able to continue to exercise apathy-borne Civics ignorance to the inconvenient truth Puerto Ricans are US citizens. And it matters not whether the transfer gets made organically via PR statehood, or by transfers made through the states of Florida, Pennsylvania and New York. As far as I'm concerned, Florida can go ahead and petition the US Department of the Interior for a purchase agreement and annexation of the island to the State of Florida. That said, I get the feeling for all the so-called apathy and non-interest mainlanders argue to hold on the topic, if a state were to make such a move, a bunch of dissenting states would pop up out the woodwork all of a sudden.

It matters none, the diaspora is here and more forthcoming, and the mainland is gonna pay for it either way.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
It matters none, the diaspora is here and more forthcoming, and the mainland is gonna pay for it either way.

This is the point I've often tried to make regarding Puerto Rico. Either we pay for the Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico, or we pay for them when the move to Florida, Texas, New York, Connecticut, or wherever. Either way we'll have to pay for them.

No disaster relief funding? Guess what? A huge chunk of the population will flee to the mainland. We'll still have to pay for them.

Cut them loose against their wishes? Guess what? A huge chunk of the population will flee to the mainland. We'll still have to pay for them.

Another thing many don't seem to grasp, due to Puerto Rico's lower cost of living (compared even to states like Florida) it would be cheaper to either allow Puerto Rico to become a state or to extend full access to all Federal programs and services as many of these programs have a cost of living or income factor. One way or another, we're either stuck with Puerto Rico or we're stuck with the Puerto Ricans. We might as well make the most out of it.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:42 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I respect your POV. But frankly, what justifiable reason would the US Congress have to convert Puerto Rico into the 51st state? What does Puerto Rico bring to the table? For starters, it's strapped with debt, major hurricane disaster, and a decreasing tax base. It's more realistic to envision Puerto Rico becoming an off-shore county of Florida before being made into a state.
Yeah, unless Democrats get a solid enough majority in Congress and hold the White House, PR statehood is dead, unless proposed plans for, say, Texas to be split into one or more states were adopted. Republicans will never go along with a plan to admit only PR into the union as a state, thereby ensuring more Dem representation in Congress. And who can blame them?

Old 10-07-2017, 03:19 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yeah, unless Democrats get a solid enough majority in Congress and hold the White House, PR statehood is dead, unless proposed plans for, say, Texas to be split into one or more states were adopted. Republicans will never go along with a plan to admit only PR into the union as a state, thereby ensuring more Dem representation in Congress. And who can blame them?
Um Puerto Ricans can blame them, for one. Look, I understand it's just politics to partisan hacks of either and any flavor, but for US citizens invested in their enfranchisement as a function of state residency, it's very much personal. This is why I detest CONUS partisan politics. The idea that America is E Pluribus Unum is specious to me. This Country is no melting pot, if current political currents are any indication. Rather, merely an emulsion of tribes that pretend to tolerate each other. Everything gets painted in terms of an affront to a nativist's perception of an usurped, formerly personally prosperous way of life. Nobody can possibly get along with one another when viewed in such terms. So things get done under the threat of crisis and human suffering. Personally I don't think it has to get done that way, but it matters not what I think, mainlanders are getting dragged kicking and screaming into confronting it. Either voice your opinion to "your" bought and paid for oligarch-subservient legislators, or have the summary judgement imposed on you in absentia like they do in family court. At this point, PR statehood is just semantics.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:36 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Um Puerto Ricans can blame them, for one. Look, I understand it's just politics to partisan hacks of either and any flavor, but for US citizens invested in their enfranchisement as a function of state residency, it's very much personal. This is why I detest CONUS partisan politics. The idea that America is E Pluribus Unum is specious to me. This Country is no melting pot, if current political currents are any indication. Rather, merely an emulsion of tribes that pretend to tolerate each other. Everything gets painted in terms of an affront to a nativist's perception of an usurped, formerly personally prosperous way of life. Nobody can possibly get along with one another when viewed in such terms. So things get done under the threat of crisis and human suffering. Personally I don't think it has to get done that way, but it matters not what I think, mainlanders are getting dragged kicking and screaming into confronting it. Either voice your opinion to "your" bought and paid for oligarch-subservient legislators, or have the summary judgement imposed on you in absentia like they do in family court. At this point, PR statehood is just semantics.
That's fair. But for those of us stateside who hold certain values dear to our hearts don't want two more Dem U.S. Senators/numerous additional Dem representatives that a successful PR statehood bid would almost certainly bring about.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:23 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
"due to Puerto Rico's lower cost of living" Not sure I buy into that....can you give a few examples of how that might be possible ? What is cheaper on the island than on the mainland ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-07-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"due to Puerto Rico's lower cost of living" Not sure I buy into that....can you give a few examples of how that might be possible ? What is cheaper on the island than on the mainland ?

Regards
Gemstone1
The Earned Income Tax Credit refund for instance would be much lower in Puerto Rico because the average income is corresponding lower. Average reported income in Puerto Rico is $18,000 vs $45,000 in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories