Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 10:49 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Just for a few facts thrown in here. Our daughter is staying in a FEMA shelter in Aguadilla and has seen first hand the taking of relief supplies by both the politically connected and local FEMA folks for family and friends leaving the folks in the shelter just out of luck. We reported it for her to the US military on the ground in that area.and hopefully those are some of the ones under investigation.
I feel my daughter is a credible source, what is yours?

he doesn't mean it.....he reads the news like the rest of us and his wife is Puerto Rican. He just says silly stuff to get personal with me.

Calling people "traitors" for calling out the b.s. and corruption and abuse in the government of P.R. it's like blaming the rape victim for going to the police and calling her a snitch......funny thing, he says he is a retired cop....go figure...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 11:08 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
1) to answer to ALL your questions, the Puerto Rican government didn't prepared for anything. You would hope that after a long history of hurricanes and tropical storms from 1928 to the one in 1998, they would learn their lesson and prepare better....NO!....Because they know FEMA and the FEDS are coming to the rescue so they do little as possible.

2) The POWER GRID should have been replaced over 40 years ago and have the power company privatized and taken off the hands of the corrupt government of P.R., who have negleted the Power Grid and over-charges the people of P.R. for a poor service ....is not the job of FEMA to replace that.

3) The government don't have water, food or fuel reserve to operate for at least 30 days after a hurricane hits......they should have fuel reserved just for the government to operate and their vehicles and trucks days after the crisis. My state has fuel reserved underground in big storage tanks for the government to operate their vehicles. They also have storage of food and water in case of an emergency....they don't rely just on the feds.

4) People are not told or demanded that they ALWAYS need 30 days of drinking water stored in their homes and 30 days of food cans to survive and the basic emergency kit. That is your own personal responsibility as a head of the household in your family. Unless your house is underwater, there is NO excuse why you don't have drinking water and food stored a few days after the hurricane. You knew it was coming, you knew the power always goes out and the tap water also because, without power, the water doesn't work.

5) you have lots of houses especially in the countryside that are NOT up to code to withstand a hurricane. They are poorly built and they build them on shaky grounds that are subject to mudslide and floods.......the government keeps ignoring that year after year....all they do is patch it up with FEMA money and just wait for the next hurricane or tropical storm to hit and they have to do it all over again.
Actually many Puerto Ricans do follow #4 ... the problem in this case is that many donated all their stored food & water to the US Virgin Islands after Irma.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Actually many Puerto Ricans do follow #4 ... the problem in this case is that many donated all their stored food & water to the US Virgin Islands after Irma.

if that's true, that's a mistake.....you don't give away all of your reserves especially when the hurricane season is NOT over in P.R.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:25 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Just for a few facts thrown in here. Our daughter is staying in a FEMA shelter in Aguadilla and has seen first hand the taking of relief supplies by both the politically connected and local FEMA folks for family and friends leaving the folks in the shelter just out of luck. We reported it for her to the US military on the ground in that area.and hopefully those are some of the ones under investigation.
I feel my daughter is a credible source, what is yours?
I believe you, never said it didn't /hasn't happened...I have some stories to relate too.
My FIL lives in Ponce, we recently sent him two battery powered fans via USPS...he never got them..

US Postal Inspectors are investigating the Post office sub-station..a few others have complained too, and they believe that personnel from that particular station are stealing,
this is not a new thing..we have sent things to Papi before that he never received...like an expensive watch last Christmas.

My house in Rincón has suffered considerable damage and if it wasn't for a cousin from Anasco that has been going up a few times a week, a lot more of our personal items would probably be missing...

I don't begrudge people taking bottles of water or canned goods because they really needed them..but cheap electronics, etc...when there is any electricity is just plain looting.

I was a little hard on Hellion because he never seems to see any gray area..everything is black and white,
He is very knowledgeable of Puerto Rican current affairs and Puerto Rican political History..I will grant him that.
I think he means well but has an abrupt 'in your face' way of presenting his arguments..
Tact and Diplomacy are not his forte...

I Wish your daughter Godspeed..Aquadillia took a major hit.
People are suffering terribly in Puerto Rico...The Orange Man cares not.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
he doesn't mean it.....he reads the news like the rest of us and his wife is Puerto Rican. He just says silly stuff to get personal with me.

Calling people "traitors" for calling out the b.s. and corruption and abuse in the government of P.R. it's like blaming the rape victim for going to the police and calling her a snitch......funny thing, he says he is a retired cop....go figure...lol
I was out of line for calling you a traitor...lo siento.

Emotions are running high..just sad to see what is going on in Puerto Rico people are suffering but others want to argue politics and point fingers...
Like the contemptible and probably corrupt Mayor of San Juan and a President who blames the people of PR for being a drain on the US economy..

Happily, no one is listening to his sorry azz, especially after the House just approved a 36.5 billion aid package to PR.

BTW...for the last time mi amigo, I was not a Cop! :-)

Cops wear uniforms and funny hats.

I was a Senior County Investigator, equivalent to the rank of Lieutenant, in an Elite, proactive street unit, and a member of a Tri-State Fugitive Task Force that hunted down fleeing Felons .
I wore Armani Linen suits in the summer, and Jeans, Leather Jacket, and Doc Martens in the winter

And, Dayum, Hellion, I looked good.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
My FIL goes beyond the 30 days in #4

He is always stocked to the max...plenty of aqua and last time he was on the mainland, I took him to the PX and we both stocked up on a few cases of MREs, he had his shipped to his house.

Papi was a WWII and decorated Korean War Vet serving with the all Puerto Rican 65th Regiment.
He came to the Mainland in 1953 on one of the first Douglas prop planes..bought a house in Trenton, rehabbed it, bought another and moved relatives in from Vega Baja..ended up with a whole city block of houses..

In 2002, after my MIL died of Cancer..he sold off his houses and bought my MILs family home in Ponce..been there ever since.
Rught now, he is sharing everything with his nabes, and loaning/ giving money to his neighbors in need.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:34 PM

this is getting worse......Now Puerto Rican Artists Olga Tañon and Don Omar, have reported to authorities that the aid they brought from Florida for old people and children has been stolen. 5 boxcars have been stolen and 5 at the Aguadilla Airport.

Olga just put a video describing the crime on her FB account.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/entreteni...orico-2365835/

https://www.facebook.com/Olgatanonof...?fref=mentions

Old 10-14-2017, 07:09 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
People are suffering terribly in Puerto Rico...The Orange Man cares not.
I certainly agree with the first part but on the 2nd:
What additional is "The Orange Man" supposed to do? What do you suggest?
Last I checked it was not the Federal Governments job to restore power, water, it was a state local, and company responsibility.
When people call those in power of the opposite party names, act belligerent, demand things that the Fed does not normally do, and out and out lie about the help you have received, you expect people to respond nicely??

Old 10-14-2017, 08:40 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Trump had massive aid to PR in record time.Delays were due to local corruption,no trucks and drivers available,outright theft and local curfews which stopped many deliveries

Old 10-14-2017, 10:17 AM

also, that power grid is toast which makes recovery very slow because running water can't operate without power. The Puerto Rican government who controls the electricity service in the island should had replaced the power grid over 40 years ago and privatized it and taken it out of the hands of the corrupt politicians but they kept over-charging the people of P.R. for the power service which is the most expensive than any of the 50 states and stealing the revenues and neglected the power grid for decades.

When I lived in BAYAMON, P.R. in the 70's and 80's, the power went out 3 to 5 times a week just by little rain or the transformers blew up frequently. Other areas in P.R. were worse, We used to hear sometimes a big BOOM sound explosion like a bomb and the power went out and this was under normal conditions. That's why my mother had many boxes of candles and emergency lanterns all the time in our house and she had to switch from electric stove to gas stove to cook because the power went out so much and this was in the 70's and 80's

Geraldo Rivera who is half Puerto Rican and have family members in the island has been in Puerto Rico during this mess and he has reported via twitter:

Geraldo Rivera‏Verified account @GeraldoRivera Oct 13
#PuertoRico allowed power grid to become cash cow for corrupt public officials.

Geraldo Rivera‏Verified account @GeraldoRivera Oct 12
70% power on #PuertoRico was out Before #Maria hit. It was knocked out by #Irma's glancing blow- & #PREPA never trimmed growth around wires

#PuertoRico's power authority's a criminal enterprise #PREPA bought sludge & charged users for 1st rate fuel-Blacks out whenever wind blows

#PuertoRico doesn't need more men-at-arms-Needs meds &electricity &linemen for telephone poles to repair grid-But structural changes needed

Last edited by Hellion1999; 10-14-2017 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories