U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 03:05 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,073,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Is there anyone in Puerto Rico that would like their complete independence and not be a US territory any longer?
Less than 5% of the population. Puerto Ricans want to become independent about as much as people in Wyoming.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 05:24 PM

12,466 posts, read 11,487,638 times
Will never be a state for this simple reason:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/30/polit...sis/index.html

Puerto Rico is too foreign to the average American. Why? The Spanish language. Most hurricane victims interviewed on national tv could not utter a word in English. It just doesn’t look or feel like America. Unlike Hawaii which is full English, until that island ditches Spanish altogether it will never be a state. Who the hell wants to visit another US state and not be able to wander about and communicate in English. Ditch Spanish or go independent.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:47 AM

3,300 posts, read 3,974,866 times
(Puerto Rico) "Will never be a state for this simple reason:"

"Puerto Rico is too foreign to the average American. Why? The Spanish language." It's not a decision that is going to be made by the average American. Who decides ? It's in the hands of the people (US Citizens) of Puerto Rico and Congress.

"Who the hell wants to visit another US state and not be able to wander about and communicate in English"......the typical lazy, self-absorbed US tourist....those not intimidated by a little adversity will have no issue, and enjoy their experience.

tom77......Go for a visit, you might like it....your tourist dollars would be appreciated.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-03-2018, 08:43 AM

14,811 posts, read 21,567,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Really?? I don't know anyone in the New England area that is in support of Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state.

Why would we want to vote to make a 3rd world level island a state? We don't have the money to improve the overall island conditions to a 1st world level. And why would the people of PR want to turn their island into what Hawaii is and have Americans from the other 50 states displace them as the island gentrifies?

One of the biggest obstacles to FEMA helping PR was that most of the island to begin with has dwellings that were not up to mainland US building standards and codes. And the residents of those dwellings don't have formal ownership of them. FEMA only pays out to homeowners, not renters or squatters.

And why rebuild PR to fix the dwellings just as before and not able to withstand a powerful storm hit? And why should the US government and the mainland taxpayers pay to improve the buildings in PR? I know that I don't want my hard earned tax dollars going towards rebuilding an island already mismanaged and in such debt. PR as it is, is a very broken unsustainable island lifestyle. The people there just need to focus on tourism income and send their kids to the US for education and hope they come back. And little by little, they need to build modern houses and buildings that can survive hurricane hits, and phase out the weaker poorly built ones. And that takes time. The US doesn't owe PR an immediate and cost-free (to the Puerto Ricans) rebuild.

It took the great earthquake of San Fransisco and the great fire of Chicago to greatly improve and modernize those cities. The residents suffered but endured. They didn't get FEMA help for that either.
We have trillions for war but no money for fellow Americans? Lol typical. If it was your city hit by a natural disaster, you'd be singing a far different tune. Saw it everytime it flooded or a hurricane hit.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Less than 5% of the population. Puerto Ricans want to become independent about as much as people in Wyoming.
It will grow overtime. They are realizing now the average American just doesnt give one darn iota that PR was ravaged by that hurricane. Again, Americans don’t view it as part of the US. Just too foreign primarily because of the spanish based language and culture.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:55 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,073,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It will grow overtime. They are realizing now the average American just doesnt give one darn iota that PR was ravaged by that hurricane. Again, Americans don’t view it as part of the US. Just too foreign primarily because of the spanish based language and culture.
Try again ....
Americans More Receptive to Puerto Rico as a State Than D.C. - Rasmussen Reports®
Quote:
A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 47% of American Adults now think the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico should become a state, up from 40% in March and 33% in July 2015, just after the news broke of the U.S. territory’s debt crisis. Thirty-four percent (34%) disagree and say Puerto Rico should not be a state, but 19% are not sure.
Support for Puerto Rico becoming a state just keeps on increasing!

Old 06-03-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Try again ....
Americans More Receptive to Puerto Rico as a State Than D.C. - Rasmussen Reports®

Support for Puerto Rico becoming a state just keeps on increasing!

lol you have been on here talking about this for years now, and still no where in sight. Just give up it isn't happening. Puerto Rico citizens are Puerto Ricans first and view themselves as Americans a very distant runner up.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:28 PM

2,482 posts, read 1,716,801 times
Quote:
lol you have been on here talking about this for years now, and still no where in sight. Just give up it isn't happening. Puerto Rico citizens are Puerto Ricans first and view themselves as Americans a very distant runner up.
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ic141436-a.jpg

Last edited by mr.magoo; 06-03-2018 at 06:37 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 03:56 AM

5,641 posts, read 7,685,951 times
Quote:
Will never be a state for this simple reason:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/30/polit...sis/index.html

Puerto Rico is too foreign to the average American. Why? The Spanish language. Most hurricane victims interviewed on national tv could not utter a word in English. It just doesn’t look or feel like America. Unlike Hawaii which is full English, until that island ditches Spanish altogether it will never be a state. Who the hell wants to visit another US state and not be able to wander about and communicate in English. Ditch Spanish or go independent.
Thats not true. I lived there for 2 years and never had any problems speaking english only. Everyone I ran into spoke enough english that we could communicate enough for the situation at hand.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 AM

2,482 posts, read 1,716,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Thats not true. I lived there for 2 years and never had any problems speaking english only. Everyone I ran into spoke enough english that we could communicate enough for the situation at hand.
precisely, I have familia and a second home in PR.
In the SJ metro area, larger cities and tourist areas just about everyone speaks English.

Matter of fact when I am approached by locals, they almost always want to practice their English on me..just as I always try to bone up and improve my Spanish..

Most Puerto Ricans can even tell what part of the CONUS you are from by your accent. (when you are speaking Spanish, English or Spanglish.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories