Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 01:20 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
It's odd that there's alot of continental Americans that don't even know Guam and Saipan exist yet they're both popular vacation spots for Japanese vacationers.
I find it most ironic when you consider Japan's brutal occupation of Guam during WW2. The Japanese executed anyone who spoke English in public ... now Japanese tourism drives Guam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 04:23 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,283,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
It's odd that there's alot of continental Americans that don't even know Guam and Saipan exist yet they're both popular vacation spots for Japanese vacationers.
most Americans don't care outside their county. I guess only the people in the state department, the CIA, defense know all the territories of the USA

Old 08-25-2015, 06:36 AM

549 posts, read 722,044 times
I'm quite interested in this idea. I've been to Guam numerous times usually on the way to or from the Philippines and find it to be a potential retirement spot for me.

With that said, I've never been to Saipan and would like to hear any firsthand living experience the board might have.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:21 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,389,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richille View Post
A recent rumor has started about Saipan and Guam joining to create a state.
I think Guam and Saipan do not have the same type of legal affiliation with the United States.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:03 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
I think Guam and Saipan do not have the same type of legal affiliation with the United States.
Both Guam and the NMI are territories, "commonwealth" as used in the NMI and Puerto Rico is a meaningless word. It literally means nothing.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Both Guam and the NMI are territories, "commonwealth" as used in the NMI and Puerto Rico is a meaningless word. It literally means nothing.
Thanks. I had thought that Saipan was some kind of UN trust territory where the residents could not vote, but still received US protection.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:11 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
The problem with a combined CNMI and Guam becoming a state is its low population (210k combined). It's population would only be 40% of the population of Wyoming. Its small size suggests it will never have a population large enough that would make it 'state-worthy'. Yes, states have been admitted to the union with lower populations, but that was a long time ago, and everyone knew their populations would grow substantially.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:08 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,969,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Thanks. I had thought that Saipan was some kind of UN trust territory where the residents could not vote, but still received US protection.
Nope, it used to be but the CNMI has been a U.S. Territory since 1978. As such, they have non-voting representative in the U.S. House and all people born there are U.S. Citizens. They elect their local representatives and governor. If the residents move to one of the 50 states, they can vote for president or US senators or reps just like any other citizen. The other former members of the UN trust territory are now independent countries: Palau, the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia. The U.S. provides defense for these countries, but the residents aren't US citizens. If they move to one of the 50 states, they can't vote unless they go through the naturalization process like any other non-citizen.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Nope, it used to be but the CNMI has been a U.S. Territory since 1978.
Thanks for the detailed information. The changed status of Saipan might be the source of controversy of whether or not clothing produced on Saipan (evidently often in poor conditions) can be labeled made in the USA. I guess if it was made after 1978, it can bear the USA label.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:12 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,075,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richille View Post
A recent rumor has started about Saipan and Guam joining to create a state.
What will happen?
I want to know possible disadvantages and advantages to this.

Any ideas?
They're probably pissed because of the US controlling them. They should be ind pendant. And the US needs to GTFO and leave them be.

Sames goes for Hawaii. The US media has done a good job at blacking out the protests the continue fight the Native Hawaiians are having to become a Sovereign State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories