U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 03:14 PM

2,432 posts, read 1,375,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcherry View Post
why should main land America care about Puerto rico. you guys didn't want to become a state. you don't pay any federal taxes...…. but you want tons of usa money.
You're obviously a troll wildcherry. What is the point of trying to cause an argument behind your keyboard?

I'm from Ohio and I care, in part because I had Puerto Rican friends while in the military, went down to the island in 1998 after my military service where one of those friends and his wife showed me around the island, and I ended up moving down there a few months later. Met a lot of wonderful people, including some who treated me like a prince from a far away land. And like any place met some people who didn't appreciate my presence there, especially when I started working. They thought I was taking a job away from a Puerto Rican. No matter where you move to there are pros and cons, good people and those who aren't so nice.

Puerto Ricans treated me much better than the Cubans did when I lived in Miami. Ironically, I think the only people they dislike more than white people are Puerto Ricans. My friend and his wife moved there right before I moved off the island and they were treated worse than I was. Was a little surprised by that. My friend said he thought it had something to do with the fact Puerto Ricans are born with U.S. citizenship. So maybe it was jealousy, I don't know.

Considering the economic situation on the island these days your post was more than a little insensitive. Like I said, you are obviously trolling.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 04:26 PM

2,432 posts, read 1,375,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
There can be a million reasons as to why Puerto Rico hasn't become a state.

Many statehooders blame Puerto Rican’s themselves.

Many point to an unwillingness to learn English, to assimilate, thus locking us out of the U.S. gravy train.

Many are so naive and think that Speaking English will open the doors to progress and statehood, however, What language do African Americans speak, Swahili? I don’t see how speaking only English has helped them as a group. Its much more than speaking English.

To make a long story short, it appears that Puerto Rico was never thought of as a future state.
A case in point: Hawaii was INCORPORATED in 1900, not so Puerto Rico which was acquired two years before.

Hawaii was opened up immediately for population transfer, with mainlanders and inmigrants given full reign thus alienating the native population. Today Hawaii is basically an English speaking tropical state populated by a mix of whites, Asian immigrants and some native Hawaiians, who will soon to join the extinct DoDo bird.

Puerto Rico presented the United States with another dilema. Here were a people who already had a distinct national identity since 1797. Throughout the XIX century it created its own literature, painters, politicians and culture, all within the Spanish speaking world. Despite its size, it’s a very creative part of Hispanic America.

It appears that Americans figured out early enough that it was a hard egg to crack. It was very different from Hawaiians and native Americans, therefore incorporation would have created problems in the long run. Thus the best thing was to control it, exploit it and let it fester after it became useless for military defense.

But what about becoming a state?

Statehood is becoming more of a pipe Dream as Americans bathe in their new found nationalism, linguistic exclusivity and fear of others, who they claim come in to destroy american culture and make whites a minority in their own land.

Nonetheless there is a rising statehood movement on the island, fueled mostly out of fear of being abandoned in a sea full of sharks with out any skills to fight them off. Therefore the best alternative is statehood and let the Federal government take care of the rest.
Some wild assertions there, will comment on some of them.

1) Could be true in some cases, but plenty of businesses moved to the island in the past. In recent decades the off-shoring of American (mainland) jobs was to foreign countries because they could pay workers even less than stateside or in Puerto Rico. And I know from experience the pharmaceutical companies in Barceloneta broke environmental laws polluting the air and water, something that would have been harder to get away with in the states.

2) So black Americans don't benefit from speaking English? I can tell you many have and many do. Many blacks in the past and some still today don't want to get educated to get a decent job. The will has to be there. Sounds like you believe it's due to discrimination. Those being discriminated against are actually white people, especially white men thanks to both the unconstitutional Affirmative Action and Quota system the federal government uses to deny people jobs based on race and gender.

3) Native Hawaiians are not going the way of the dodo bird, I'm pretty sure about that. They are pretty good about wanting to keep within their own community and their own ways.

4) Control and and exploit it? That's going overboard. If the only thing U.S. politicians cared about was using the island as a form of defense they would have abandoned it a long time ago.

5) Your paragraph about Americans bathing in new found nationalism, etc., is a very slanted viewpoint. Do Puerto Ricans have a strong sense of nationalism regarding the island itself? Having lived there I can tell you there is no question about it, and there is nothing wrong with it. For Americans who were born and raised in the states many of us have always been patriotic and cared about our nation, including its future and there is nothing wrong with that either.

And no it is not linguistic exclusivity and fear of others, it is expecting people who come to this country to learn the language so they can integrate into it, not to have them come in in massive numbers intent on taking it over, and making it impossible for Americans to function in their own communities because no one can or is willing if they know how to speak English. Not to mention how bad they treat Americans when they get here.

Mexicans & Muslims in particular have no desire to integrate into the American way of life. My whole life I've heard Mexicans say they were going to take back the American SW for Mexico by swamping our nation with "numbers, numbers". They make no bones about the fact they hate our government and white people. Their plan worked out better than they ever could have hoped because businesses want cheap labor, and rich businessmen control our politicians who have allowed us to be invaded by tens of millions from south of the border. Many American lives have been taken, communities taken over and ruined, etc., So Americans wanting that reversed and illegals sent back to Mexico, Central America and elsewhere, is not people fearing them, its that we don't want our communities taken over "for Mexico" or any other country. Muslims, well, if you don't know about that situation in this country, but especially in Europe and the U.K. (particularly England as far as the U.K. goes) then I suggest doing some research. Grooming gangs, acid attacks, other terrorist attacks, rapes, murders, beatings, no-go zones, you name it. They don't share values with westerners, and never should have been allowed in in massive numbers. Its a nightmare overseas, and its going to get much worse in the U.S. if we aren't careful. And to think Hillary wanted to bring in many thousands more than Barack did. Unbelievable.

6) Part of it may be fear of being abandoned by the U.S., but it could also be a case of people being tired of living in Commonwealth status. They are Americans, I've even heard there are more Puerto Ricans living stateside than on the island, something I've never fact checked myself, so I can see why many would want statehood. Seems to me the main two issues for islanders are the fact they want to keep Spanish as the main language on the island, and they don't want Puerto Rico to turn into Hawaii where so many people from the mainland U.S. moved there. To this day many Hawaiians resent them to the point of be very prejudiced. Puerto Ricans want Puerto Rico to be for them only, but have no problem moving in large numbers to American cities and towns. A bit hypocritical.

As far as Congress, I have to wonder if the will will ever be there. It would cost a fortune to upgrade the island to get up to code on infrastructure. I read an article about it before I moved there in the late 90's and the cost would astronomical. Plus, Puerto Rican nationalists who fired on Congress in the 50's and all those who insisted on military training being ended on Vieques didn't do Puerto Rico any favors when it comes to the statehood issue.

I've wondered what would happen if Puerto Rico broke off from the U.S. and became truly independent. The lifestyle change would be a shock to residents. Would Russia or China try getting military bases there offering big money to solve the island's financial issues? I'd never wish it on Puerto Ricans, certainly not the ones I knew and cared about. A lot of good and decent people there.

Last edited by OhioJB; 06-23-2018 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 11:33 AM

15,698 posts, read 6,594,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
If they work for the Federal government of America they most certainly do file federal income taxes.

Of course. Puerto Ricans pay US federal taxes on all income earned from US sources. So do Britons, Spaniards, Chinese, Australians, and everyone else.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
Many point to an unwillingness to learn English, to assimilate, thus locking us out of the U.S. gravy train.

Many are so naive and think that Speaking English will open the doors to progress and statehood, however, What language do African Americans speak, Swahili? I don’t see how speaking only English has helped them as a group. Its much more than speaking English.

Seriously? Try imagining an alternate reality where blacks in the US spoke primarily Swahili and little English. Few would be university educated, few would have corporate jobs, and very few would be elected politicians. It's more than speaking English but I'd say that's one of the biggest factors.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:56 PM

34 posts, read 26,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Of course. Puerto Ricans pay US federal taxes on all income earned from US sources. So do Britons, Spaniards, Chinese, Australians, and everyone else.
so if your a painter or cook or work for a hotel you pay federal taxes????

Old 06-29-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcherry View Post
so if your a painter or cook or work for a hotel you pay federal taxes????

Not likely.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:34 PM

4,923 posts, read 4,340,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
If they work for the Federal government of America they most certainly do file federal income taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
With all due respect, maybe this clears it up better than I did. Of course I can't speak to your statement concerning Britons, Spaniards, Chinese, Australians, and everyone else and actually the thread is about Puerto Rico after all.

Taxation in Puerto Rico

Because Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, only government employees pay federal income tax. All other employers and employees pay no federal income taxes.

In general, United States citizens and resident aliens who are bona fide residents of Puerto Rico during the entire tax year, which for most individuals is January 1 to December 31, are only required to file a U.S. federal income tax return if they have income sources outside of Puerto Rico or if they are employees of the U.S. government. Bona fide residents of Puerto Rico generally do not report income received from sources within Puerto Rico on their U.S. income tax return. However, they should report all income received from sources outside Puerto Rico on their U.S. income tax return. Residents of Puerto Rico who are employed by the government of the United States or who are members of the armed forces of the United States also should report all income received for their services to the government of the United States on their U. S. income tax return.

United States citizens or resident aliens who are not bona fide residents of Puerto Rico during the entire tax year are required to report all income from whatever source derived on their U.S. income tax return. However, a U.S. citizen who changes residence from Puerto Rico to the United States and who was a bona fide resident of Puerto Rico at least two years before changing residence can exclude from U.S. taxable income the Puerto Rican source income received while residing in Puerto Rico during the taxable year of such change of residence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Puerto_Rico

Old 06-30-2018, 03:04 AM
mym

632 posts, read 913,211 times
taxation without representation is tyranny baby!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_tax...representation

Old 06-30-2018, 06:56 PM

34 posts, read 26,665 times
so is it fair that most [70%] of Puerto Ricans don't pay any federal taxes and you want tons of money from the federal gov. that you don't pay a dime to. yes your island is in need of lots of repairs, your power co.needed repairs for the last 20 years, you , Puerto Ricans have to help yourself. when the island finally gets electricity all the wire and poles cost a lot of money , your ele . bills will skyrocked to pay for all the repairs .that what happens on the main land. not a hand out from the fed.gov. you have to invest in your island.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:38 PM

12,027 posts, read 3,803,866 times
My goodness. Guess they don’t teach grammar and punctuation in schools anymore. People want to tell others what to invest in when there are obvious areas where they should invest their time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories