Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 04:34 PM

529 posts, read 1,086,684 times

Advertisements

It’s obvious that the majority who come here to this forum are state side Ricans. They identify as being Puerto Rican mainly because they eat rice and beans, pasteles, alcapurrias, and dance salsa, better than any gringo or African American can.

Sad to say, but a great majority of state side Puerto Rican’s are barely educated, this being proven by a recent PEW study 2015, which found stateside Puerto Ricans as the poorest and least educated Hispanics in the United States.

Many stateside Ricans also acknowledge they don’t know much about Puerto Rico, but feel pride when they see a Puerto Rican flag flying during a Puerto Rican day parade.

Going to Puerto Rico appears to have lost its luster among stateside Ricans. Its less and less important because many families already live stateside, and why visit this run down island, as some here say it is, whose population disdains stateside Ricans.

Those who decide to visit San Juan try slumming it for a little while. They go to Piñones, a Black Puerto Rican area of poor folks. They go there to savor a bacalaito or alcapurria, then run back to the beach or the pool of their hotel or Airbnb to listen to their Regatón on their boom boxes. Few socialize with the natives.

Spanish is a foreign language to many, if not all, with many trying to speak it for the heck of it.

Many stateside Ricans are appalled when they hear other Puerto Ricans referring to themselves as a nation. “We are a territory, they say here, much like Tennessee or Wyoming were before they became States, there is no difference”. “ Its those anti-Americans who push this sovereignty thing into good Puerto Rican minds”
“ We are proud Americans they say, , not like the Québécois or Catalans which give their people a bad name.

Few or any of these pseudo Ricans know anything about Puerto Rican literature, painters, philosophers, historians, and how our identity gradually developed in the 19th century. To many we are expendible people, ready for asimilation, ready to disappear, much like native Americans or African Americans. We are good for entertainment or sports, but not much else.

Many folks in this forum think, sincerely, we are a people who are duped by some radicals who want to maintain their distinctiveness and separateness from the glories and exceptionalism of the american people. To them this only retards our acceptance within the United States.

That is the extent of what being a Puerto Rican is to many stateside Ricans. Its superficial. ,
Its to dance well and consume bacalaitos Fritos and eat rice and beans, not much more.

Is this an exaggeration and a diatribe of an island Puerto Rican who is angry and trying to establish a difference between the glorious and exceptional Americans?

It can be looked at in this way.

Finally, and sad to say , Regular Puerto Rican’s on the island tolerate , but don’t swallow stateside Ricans. They find them pushy, not too sophisticated and some down right offensive when trying to push their ghetto culture on to islanders.

Yes, there are TWO PUERTO RICOS, the one who feels they are a nation without sovereignty and the other in the states that is just a minority with very little political clout despite being full American citizens for more than a hundred years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 05:11 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Well! Someone's high up on his soapbox today. Are you OK?

Look, there's much in your post to agree and disagree with. Frankly, I don't have the time or interest to bicker back and forth. I'll leave that to "Another Rican" in the likes of Hellion.

One thing I will say and rightfully remind you of: Puerto Rico is not a Nation. Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth Territory of The United States. You can BS yourself all you want if that's what makes you feel good. But facts are facts. Puerto Rico is not a Nation and it is silly and foolish to insist on it.

BTW, it's awkward to watch sports competitions between Puerto Rico vs The USA. This would be akin to Hawaii vs The USA. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Lastly, name one "Nation" on Earth which is militarily protected and economically funded by another Nation.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:39 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
It’s obvious that the majority who come here to this forum are state side Ricans. They identify as being Puerto Rican mainly because they eat rice and beans, pasteles, alcapurrias, and dance salsa, better than any gringo or African American can.

Sad to say, but a great majority of state side Puerto Rican’s are barely educated, this being proven by a recent PEW study 2015, which found stateside Puerto Ricans as the poorest and least educated Hispanics in the United States.

Many stateside Ricans also acknowledge they don’t know much about Puerto Rico, but feel pride when they see a Puerto Rican flag flying during a Puerto Rican day parade.

Going to Puerto Rico appears to have lost its luster among stateside Ricans. Its less and less important because many families already live stateside, and why visit this run down island, as some here say it is, whose population disdains stateside Ricans.

Those who decide to visit San Juan try slumming it for a little while. They go to Piñones, a Black Puerto Rican area of poor folks. They go there to savor a bacalaito or alcapurria, then run back to the beach or the pool of their hotel or Airbnb to listen to their Regatón on their boom boxes. Few socialize with the natives.

Spanish is a foreign language to many, if not all, with many trying to speak it for the heck of it.

Many stateside Ricans are appalled when they hear other Puerto Ricans referring to themselves as a nation. “We are a territory, they say here, much like Tennessee or Wyoming were before they became States, there is no difference”. “ Its those anti-Americans who push this sovereignty thing into good Puerto Rican minds”
“ We are proud Americans they say, , not like the Québécois or Catalans which give their people a bad name.

Few or any of these pseudo Ricans know anything about Puerto Rican literature, painters, philosophers, historians, and how our identity gradually developed in the 19th century. To many we are expendible people, ready for asimilation, ready to disappear, much like native Americans or African Americans. We are good for entertainment or sports, but not much else.

Many folks in this forum think, sincerely, we are a people who are duped by some radicals who want to maintain their distinctiveness and separateness from the glories and exceptionalism of the american people. To them this only retards our acceptance within the United States.

That is the extent of what being a Puerto Rican is to many stateside Ricans. Its superficial. ,
Its to dance well and consume bacalaitos Fritos and eat rice and beans, not much more.

Is this an exaggeration and a diatribe of an island Puerto Rican who is angry and trying to establish a difference between the glorious and exceptional Americans?

It can be looked at in this way.

Finally, and sad to say , Regular Puerto Rican’s on the island tolerate , but don’t swallow stateside Ricans. They find them pushy, not too sophisticated and some down right offensive when trying to push their ghetto culture on to islanders.

Yes, there are TWO PUERTO RICOS, the one who feels they are a nation without sovereignty and the other in the states that is just a minority with very little political clout despite being full American citizens for more than a hundred years.
If you have ever wondered why independenistas are so hated you should look no further.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:19 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

Look, there's much in your post to agree and disagree with. Frankly, I don't have the time or interest to bicker back and forth. I'll leave that to "Another Rican" in the likes of Hellion.

One thing I will say and rightfully remind you of: Puerto Rico is not a Nation. Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth Territory of The United States. You can BS yourself all you want if that's what makes you feel good. But facts are facts. Puerto Rico is not a Nation and it is silly and foolish to insist on it.

BTW, it's awkward to watch sports competitions between Puerto Rico vs The USA. This would be akin to Hawaii vs The USA. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Lastly, name one "Nation" on Earth which is militarily protected and economically funded by another Nation.

you had to mention me? Still confusing me with Another Rican? lol

Puerto Rico is a Nation under the definition in the English dictionary: a large aggregate of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory.

hmmm, yeah that fits Puerto Rico alright and every group of Natives in the world regardless of political status or whatever political jurisdiction they are under.

I can name a few nations that are military protected and economically funded by a stronger nation. The United States remained the world’s largest bilateral donor, obligating approximately $48.4 billion—$31.2 billion in economic assistance and $17.2 billion in military assistance to other countries.

What do you think the New World Order is and the Truman Doctrine? The U.S. has over 800 military bases in more than 70 countries and territories around the world. We give billions of dollars in aid (I include myself because I pay federal taxes) to many countries and American companies invest heavily in those countries also.

Let me put it to you this way if the U.S. dollar collapses and we close all our military bases in the world many countries economies will go under and their defense would be non-existing and the start of WW 3 because they would get easily invaded.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:11 AM

Just read that China has bullied Srilanka into conceding them a naval base to protect their growing interests in the South China Sea.

Let’s go back 121 years. Wasn’t this the same thing the expanding imperial power of the Unired States did with Puerto Rico in 1898?

Expanding imperialist powers will begin competing with today’s ultimate world power, the USA. ITS TOO EARLY TO SEE WHAT WILL HAPPEN. However since 2016 Trump is receding from the world, giving up bases, and consolidating american isolationism to fight what he sees as AMERICAN WHITE ANXIETY OF BECOMING A RACIAL MINORITY IN THEIR OWN LAND.

In all this mess, a non white people will soon be asking for annexation into the US.
These non whites will be asking for a state, that because of population density, will have more representation in Congress than 24 white states. English will be the second language if so.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:11 AM

Just read that China has bullied Srilanka into conceding them a naval base to protect their growing interests in the South China Sea.

Let’s go back 121 years. Wasn’t this the same thing the expanding imperial power of the Unired States did with Puerto Rico in 1898?

Expanding imperialist powers will begin competing with today’s ultimate world power, the USA. ITS TOO EARLY TO SEE WHAT WILL HAPPEN. However since 2016 Trump is receding from the world, giving up bases, and consolidating american isolationism to fight what he sees as AMERICAN WHITE ANXIETY OF BECOMING A RACIAL MINORITY IN THEIR OWN LAND.

In all this mess, a non white people will soon be asking for annexation into the US.
These non whites will be asking for a state, that because of population density, will have more representation in Congress than 24 white states. English will be the second language if so.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Hahajahaha.

Just as a starter ITS ISRAEL.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:12 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,913 times
Quote:

1. Tibet
2. Lesotho
3. Swaziland
4. Curacao
5. Falklands
6. Gibralter
7. Greenland
8. Bermuda

Since Clip mentioned starters, there are lots more. Doesn't even get into the whole Tribal/Ethnic Peoples Nation if the definition is expanded to include Hellion's definition.

Last edited by ersatz; 07-17-2018 at 05:28 PM..

Old 07-17-2018, 06:36 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
1. Tibet
2. Lesotho
3. Swaziland
4. Curacao
5. Falklands
6. Gibralter
7. Greenland
8. Bermuda

Since Clip mentioned starters, there are lots more. Doesn't even get into the whole Tribal/Ethnic Peoples Nation if the definition is expanded to include Hellion's definition.
Only Lesotho and Swaziland are sovereign nations.

Tibet is under Chinese occupation. Curacao is a constituent country of the Netherlands. Greenland is a constituent country of Denmark. Bermuda, Gibraltar, and the Falkland Islands are British overseas territories (aka colonies).

Old 09-19-2018, 09:07 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post

I don´t know if this holds as much weight as before. Most of my friends have left the island in the last five years, less due to the hurricane and more due economic hardships. They all used to deride the ¨cacos¨ who live in places like Kissimmee, Massachussetts and New Jersey/New York as being ¨fake, ghetto Puerto Ricans¨, making their argument more about a lack of class on the part of these communities than any political argument you seem to be making. I saw plenty of trash people who were born and raised on the island, there´s just been too much back and forth to make it an ¨us versus them¨ type argument. In the end, the Disapora has drawn all classes of people to the United States. You might be labeling ¨those¨ Stateside Puerto Ricans, but in the end, there´s no way 5 million+ of them are all like that. Schools like UPR Mayaguez graduate engineers who go work for NASA, don´t tell me they´re sellouts or are ghetto trash.

I don´t think one´s present location necessarily dictates what they should think politically. The PNP seems to get stronger every year, and the only pool of voters they have are people on the island, no? Being pro-independence and living outside the island isn´t being a hypocrite either. In the end, we often have make difficult decisions for our future, ones that will forever change the culture and mentality of our future families. One of my best friends in New Orleans is Afro-Honduran, and his parents simply didn´t teach him Spanish coming up, so he can´t speak it at all. He didn´t choose that, but he has to live with the consequences of it. People accusing him of being a vendepatria certainly do not help build his confidence to learn. My wife (Colombian) and I are trying to raise our daughter as bilingual and bicultural as possible, but in the end, one language and culture will dominate more than the other I´m sure. Certainly some will criticize...it sounds like many Puerto Ricans have to suffer this as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories