U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2018, 03:27 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,616 posts, read 36,581,442 times
Reputation: 17411

Advertisements

Quote:
Can we send your sorry Azz back to China too?
So someone reading this thread gave me a rep point with this message. And to them I say... I was born here and speak English. I regularly work 6 days a week and pay my taxes. Of my family who first arrived in the US from China, none of them were offered any government freebies or help. They all immediately found work and paid for their own lodgings and food. Not one of them was offered free hotels rooms when they arrived.

The difference between me and those Puerto Rican families is my English skills and a willingness work and support myself without any government help. I also never had children, and would never have had children that I wasn't able to raise on my own. And I would have taught my children English and made sure that they did well in school.

And if my house had been destroyed by a hurricane, I certainly would not be loafing around in a free hotel room and not making plans for the future.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2018, 03:35 PM
 
328 posts, read 185,651 times
Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Most of the paperwork to get these families in place, has not been readied or done at all.
What paperwork are you talking about? They're already US citizens.

The only thing they have to do is get jobs and fill out an application for an apartment. Which these families need to do themselves, as everyone else in the world does themselves. If they can't do those basic things they will not make it here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 04:02 PM
 
1,700 posts, read 856,145 times
Reputation: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So someone reading this thread gave me a rep point with this message. And to them I say... I was born here and speak English. I regularly work 6 days a week and pay my taxes. Of my family who first arrived in the US from China, none of them were offered any government freebies or help. They all immediately found work and paid for their own lodgings and food. Not one of them was offered free hotels rooms when they arrived.

The difference between me and those Puerto Rican families is my English skills and a willingness work and support myself without any government help. I also never had children, and would never have had children that I wasn't able to raise on my own. And I would have taught my children English and made sure that they did well in school.

And if my house had been destroyed by a hurricane, I certainly would not be loafing around in a free hotel room and not making plans for the future.
You make it sound like these people are having parties, every day..........these people went through HELL........STOP categorizing the Puerto Ricans. I was born in Puerto Rico, raised in NYC, worked since age 16, have never received any GOVERNMENT HELP.... and got myself a PHD., in Clinical Psychology. Your rhetoric is placing all Puerto Ricans in the same boat, as lazy marauders.....and they are not..... we have people as Astronauts, in the Supreme Court, and Congress..... And these are mostly mothers with little children .....where is your compassion for mankind.........you are better off going to China, and teach them how to stop slaughtering puppies..........that is a great cause!!!!!!

And only Superwoman would be making plans for the future, when they have been exposed to such a disaster...........Have a heart........
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 04:07 PM
 
1,700 posts, read 856,145 times
Reputation: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
Maybe the solution is to give them more aid. If they were just given enough free cash aid they would become productive.

You are just being facetious......!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 04:12 PM
 
328 posts, read 185,651 times
Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
And these are mostly mothers with little children .....where is your compassion for mankind.........
Stop making stuff up. I saw plenty of adult men on the news in those hotel rooms, on local news here. Most of them seemed to be lying on the bed watching TV instead of out looking for work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 04:59 PM
 
1,700 posts, read 856,145 times
Reputation: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
I think it's time to cut the rope and let PR be their own nation. Thus far, as a colony/territory, they've been a big failure.
Obviously, you have never been there prior to Hurricane Maria.......



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS4Xkd9cGuw







https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUTR4rfDAYw








https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2cDG4nrKuU
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 06:15 PM
 
11,049 posts, read 4,328,654 times
Reputation: 5234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
I think it's better they just stay a commonwealth. If they became statehood I don't know if they would pull their own weight. They seem to be so dependent on Florida to do things for them.

They've been a commonwealth forever and maybe that's just fate, and how things are supposed to be.
Puerto Rico hasn't been a Commonwealth forever. In their 500 plus years of recorded history, they have been only a commonwealth since 1952. That's only 66 years.....Hawaii was a territory for 61 years before it was admitted into the union.

I don't know about you but it's nice to have a voice and representation over the federal laws we have to obey and live under.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
3,500 posts, read 1,874,825 times
Reputation: 11987
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
NO!!! They are able-bodied American citizens and they should be working while in Florida, not lounging around in a hotel room watching Spanish language tele-novelas. Why do they need a stipend? Instead, they should be doing something productive every day. This should not be a paid vacation for them.

Unemployment rates are extremely low. And being Florida, there are plenty of jobs where their fellow employees would speak and understand Spanish.

And they should also be learning to speak English, since they are American citizens.
lol are you really this ignorant. Did you read the article? obviously not. first, most Puerto Ricans speak English. Next the article said that most of the displaced HAVE found either employment or returned to PR.
this is a small % that seem to be either sick or they are elderly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 07:21 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,616 posts, read 36,581,442 times
Reputation: 17411
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
You make it sound like these people are having parties, every day..........these people went through HELL........STOP categorizing the Puerto Ricans. I was born in Puerto Rico, raised in NYC, worked since age 16, have never received any GOVERNMENT HELP.... and got myself a PHD., in Clinical Psychology. Your rhetoric is placing all Puerto Ricans in the same boat, as lazy marauders.....and they are not..... we have people as Astronauts, in the Supreme Court, and Congress..... And these are mostly mothers with little children .....where is your compassion for mankind.........you are better off going to China, and teach them how to stop slaughtering puppies..........that is a great cause!!!!!!

And only Superwoman would be making plans for the future, when they have been exposed to such a disaster...........Have a heart........
Stereotype much? All my dogs are rescues, and years ago, I volunteered for many dog transports from shelters in the south up to New England.

And just because I am Chinese by genetics, doesn't mean that I embrace mainland Chinese culture.

But my reference to the PR party culture was only in reaction to your thread encouraging your fellow Puerto Ricans to go out and make noise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 07:21 PM
 
328 posts, read 185,651 times
Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
this is a small % that seem to be either sick or they are elderly.

Wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top