Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 06:30 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,878,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Now, you are sounding like a real RACIST. When Florida have had emergencies, they have done everything by themselves? No outside help whatsoever? How about Louisiana, Texas, California, and the myriad of states that have floods, tornadoes, etc? They also do everything by themselves.....How often does Puerto Rico have had a disaster of the magnitude of Hurricane Maria? The San Felipe Hurricane was in 1928, killing 1,000 people...this is 2018.........
...............Here comes the " Race " card.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 06:54 PM

330 posts, read 249,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

I don't know about you but it's nice to have a voice and representation over the federal laws we have to obey and live under.
Well that's great but it's also about what's best for America.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:48 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Stereotype much? All my dogs are rescues, and years ago, I volunteered for many dog transports from shelters in the south up to New England.

And just because I am Chinese by genetics, doesn't mean that I embrace mainland Chinese culture.

But my reference to the PR party culture was only in reaction to your thread encouraging your fellow Puerto Ricans to go out and make noise.

Wait a minute, what thread are you talking about?

Old 07-02-2018, 08:55 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
...............Here comes the " Race " card.............

Mr. Young: I am only pulling, according to your statement, the "race card," because parts of Florida, are

getting very touchy about Spanish-speaking people moving in. And by the way, Puerto Ricans are not a race, but a nationality.......

Old 07-03-2018, 05:05 AM

838 posts, read 565,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
LMAO!!! I hear crazy things like this when I was in Puerto Rico (by a loud minority) ...this is what we call low information voter.

So if Puerto Rico is sold to Spain, Puerto Rico will be better off? LOL........you really should take Puerto Rican history. The last time Spain owned P.R. for 400 years 85% of the population in the island were illiterate and live in extreme poverty in the mud and there was not a public education system, no universities, and no social safety nets.

Damn, I know some people don't like the Americans and the U.S. but at least they should know and admit that Puerto Rico was put on the map and became one of the most prosperous places in Latin America under the U.S. Flag. I don't see many Puerto Ricans giving up their U.S. Citizenship and wanting to be paid for their work, savings and investments with anything but the U.S. Dollar in their pockets.

$1 Dollar = 20.05 Mexican Peso
$1 Dollar= 49.46 Dominican Peso
$1 Dollar= 114,856 (Those Venezuelans are really screwed)
$1 Dollar= 567 Costa Rican Colon
$1 Dollar= 2,942.55 Colombian Peso

Guess how much the Puerto Rican peso would be worth if they were an independent Republic with their debt and very limited resources?. Those Latin Countries above have over 100 years headstart over Puerto Rico in the Republic business. You take a lot of things for granted.

One thing is to call out the devil and another thing is see the devil come. (old Puerto Rican saying for you, lol)
Low information voter?

1) Funny how you added almost all Latin-american currencies except for the only country i mentioned, Spain: $1 US Dollar = 1.19 EUR

2) You're also failing to mention that PR wouldn't have been in debt if it wasn't for the US in the first place, You are aware that due to the Jones Act, PR isn't able to trade like other countries; Instead it costs the island $600m a year this isn't counting interests or other recurring debts. I think the better question here is Why are Puerto Ricans continued to be treated as less-than? For comparisons sake the state of Rhode Island has received $2.5B in Federal aid compared to PR's $360m despite almost being the same size and facing several challenges ie; not being able to sell bonds, unable to vote or participate in fed tax programs etc.

3) "Those Latin Countries above have over 100 years head-start over Puerto Rico in the Republic business." Maybe so but have they been extorted by mainland for almost 100 years? Neglected and basically held captive without a voice?

As for your statement about hating the US, I would never hate the country that made me but you would have to be some type of idiot to believe its 'alright' for a small island to basically be held captive with no real rights towards a democracy.

Quote:
"I don't see many Puerto Ricans giving up their U.S. Citizenship and wanting to be paid for their work, savings and investments with anything but the U.S. Dollar in their pockets.
"
I'll take Euros, Please and Thank You!

Old 07-03-2018, 05:11 AM

838 posts, read 565,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't believe in non-Americans getting this sort of assistance either.

Either integrate them into life in the US mainland with jobs and a place to live, or send them back to PR. Living for free in a FL hotel is not the answer.
I agree completely, I think the main issue here is that too many hand-outs are given but nothing much is being done to actually HELP these families. You can give as many hotel vouchers as you want but if they don't have employment to get themselves out of this hotel-room then it is useless.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:32 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Wait a minute, what thread are you talking about?
This one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...make-some.html

Old 07-03-2018, 05:59 AM
miu

Quote:
Mr. Young: I am only pulling, according to your statement, the "race card," because parts of Florida, are

getting very touchy about Spanish-speaking people moving in. And by the way, Puerto Ricans are not a race, but a nationality.......
All of America is getting touchy about Spanish speaking people immigrating into out country. And it's not because of being racist (Spanish speaking is not a "race"), but that they refuse to learn and speak English.

In past, when waves of Europeans immigrated to the US, all of those immigrants worked hard to ASSIMILATE into American culture and they spoke English in public. I've talked to many senior citizens with European immigrant backgrounds, and they are highly resentful of the current influx of South American immigrants. Why? Because they refuse to speak English in public and they also are getting government handouts that they never got when their parents arrived in this country.

Again, if Puerto Ricans want to their island to become a state, or even to gain more sympathy from the mainland Americans, they must adopt English as their primary language. Either you consider yourself real Americans, or you don't.

From a mainlanders point of view, Puerto Rico is a vacation destination where Spanish is the dominant language. And another reason for the lack of bonding is that it's an island, and not connected all that closely to the States. We feel the same way about Hawaii, in the sense that it's mostly a vacation or retirement destination... but at least they all speak English there. I feel badly for the volcano erupting there last month, but so what? They knew that they were building on the edges of a dormant volcano.

With Hurricane Katrina, it was a huge mess to begin with, but I had friends who drove down to New Orleans in their work vans to spend some months helping with the rebuild. Then they drove back to New England. They wouldn't have gotten on a plane to New Orleans to help, if that was the only way to get there because then they wouldn't have had access to their construction tools. And my friends don't speak Spanish.

Then another aspect, is all the illegals who come in from south of our border are the ones willing to work construction under the table. So the perception is that the same sort of men are living in Puerto Rico and therefore, are able to rebuild their own houses on their hurricane damaged island.

And for those who own vacation homes on PR, I don't have sympathy for them. It's just the nature of life in the Caribbean, hurricane season can be rough.

In the long run, it seems to me that Puerto Ricans should hedge their bets by all learning English and every family should have members who live in the mainland and on the island. But should another bad hurricane hit, then they can send the women and children to the mainland while their home is being rebuilt. There should be a Plan B in place since there will be more hurricane disasters in the future.

Over the years, my entire family moved to CA. I refused to go, because I really prefer life in New England. And should there be that big CA earthquake... I expect my entire family to stay with me in NH for as long as they need to. And they won't need FEMA to put them up in random hotel rooms.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:01 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
I agree completely, I think the main issue here is that too many hand-outs are given but nothing much is being done to actually HELP these families. You can give as many hotel vouchers as you want but if they don't have employment to get themselves out of this hotel-room then it is useless.
Yes. Stop giving them three months of free fish, instead teach them how to fish. They are American citizens, so they are allowed to fish in Florida.

I tell you what would be really neat, is for someone to give them a food truck. Paint the truck with the Puerto Rican flag and a reference to Hurricane Maria, then let the families go out and make money selling PR food. And because it's for a great cause, business should be awesome for them.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:31 AM

330 posts, read 249,338 times
Everything miu said was correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories