Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 09:06 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
Low information voter?

1) Funny how you added almost all Latin-american currencies except for the only country i mentioned, Spain: $1 US Dollar = 1.19 EUR

2) You're also failing to mention that PR wouldn't have been in debt if it wasn't for the US in the first place, You are aware that due to the Jones Act, PR isn't able to trade like other countries; Instead it costs the island $600m a year this isn't counting interests or other recurring debts. I think the better question here is Why are Puerto Ricans continued to be treated as less-than? For comparisons sake the state of Rhode Island has received $2.5B in Federal aid compared to PR's $360m despite almost being the same size and facing several challenges ie; not being able to sell bonds, unable to vote or participate in fed tax programs etc.

3) "Those Latin Countries above have over 100 years head-start over Puerto Rico in the Republic business." Maybe so but have they been extorted by mainland for almost 100 years? Neglected and basically held captive without a voice?

As for your statement about hating the US, I would never hate the country that made me but you would have to be some type of idiot to believe its 'alright' for a small island to basically be held captive with no real rights towards a democracy.

I'll take Euros, Please and Thank You!
Oh please ... here we go with the "Puerto Rico can't trade with anyone" fallacy

First of all, a state or territory can trade with whoever they want ... they simply have to go through the US State Department. Is that really such a big deal? If they allow Iowa to trade with China then Puerto Rico will almost certainly be allowed to trade with whoever they want.

https://www.iowafarmbureau.com/Artic...a-ByTheNumbers

https://tradepartnership.com/wp-cont...5_Nebraska.pdf
Here's an article about Nebraska's foreign trade.

The Jones Act doesn't bar Puerto Rico from trading with whoever they want. Stop parroting whatever you hear from the PIP. The Jones Act isn't about trade, it's about shipping via foreign flagged ships. It also applies to everywhere under the US flag ... including states with booming economies like Texas and Alaska.

Secondly, here's the harsh truth ... Puerto Rico doesn't have anything to trade with.

Thirdly, Puerto Rico isn't being held captive by anyone expect maybe themselves. There are two clear paths out of the morass: statehood or independence. We can't impose either on Puerto Rico. It's not our fault that a huge chunk of the Puerto Rican population oppose both. Want to resolve the status problem? Blame the Populares. They are the ones who block every effort to end the colony. Blank votes. Boycotted votes. None of the above. All the result of the Populares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,948 times
I'm currently in the Netherlands. They have Coco Rico here...

not to mention Bacardi of course
Attached Thumbnails
Puerto Ricans......Getting  Displaced In Florida.....-36002764_10155789533702106_3015969070823505920_o.jpg  

Old 07-03-2018, 11:46 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Miu: Sounds like I am calling a cat.........., LOL, why should my post making aware my compatriots, from out-of-state, of a special celebration in NYC, like The Puerto Rican Day Parade, bother you? I do not understand. Specify, please......

Old 07-03-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
All of America is getting touchy about Spanish speaking people immigrating into out country. And it's not because of being racist (Spanish speaking is not a "race"), but that they refuse to learn and speak English.

In past, when waves of Europeans immigrated to the US, all of those immigrants worked hard to ASSIMILATE into American culture and they spoke English in public. I've talked to many senior citizens with European immigrant backgrounds, and they are highly resentful of the current influx of South American immigrants. Why? Because they refuse to speak English in public and they also are getting government handouts that they never got when their parents arrived in this country.

Again, if Puerto Ricans want to their island to become a state, or even to gain more sympathy from the mainland Americans, they must adopt English as their primary language. Either you consider yourself real Americans, or you don't.

From a mainlanders point of view, Puerto Rico is a vacation destination where Spanish is the dominant language. And another reason for the lack of bonding is that it's an island, and not connected all that closely to the States. We feel the same way about Hawaii, in the sense that it's mostly a vacation or retirement destination... but at least they all speak English there. I feel badly for the volcano erupting there last month, but so what? They knew that they were building on the edges of a dormant volcano.

With Hurricane Katrina, it was a huge mess to begin with, but I had friends who drove down to New Orleans in their work vans to spend some months helping with the rebuild. Then they drove back to New England. They wouldn't have gotten on a plane to New Orleans to help, if that was the only way to get there because then they wouldn't have had access to their construction tools. And my friends don't speak Spanish.

Then another aspect, is all the illegals who come in from south of our border are the ones willing to work construction under the table. So the perception is that the same sort of men are living in Puerto Rico and therefore, are able to rebuild their own houses on their hurricane damaged island.

And for those who own vacation homes on PR, I don't have sympathy for them. It's just the nature of life in the Caribbean, hurricane season can be rough.

In the long run, it seems to me that Puerto Ricans should hedge their bets by all learning English and every family should have members who live in the mainland and on the island. But should another bad hurricane hit, then they can send the women and children to the mainland while their home is being rebuilt. There should be a Plan B in place since there will be more hurricane disasters in the future.

Over the years, my entire family moved to CA. I refused to go, because I really prefer life in New England. And should there be that big CA earthquake... I expect my entire family to stay with me in NH for as long as they need to. And they won't need FEMA to put them up in random hotel rooms.
MOST Puerto Ricans speak E N G L I S H.........YOU just have an issue with us !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2018, 01:03 PM

330 posts, read 249,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
MOST Puerto Ricans speak E N G L I S H.........
Good. Then it should be no problem for them to get jobs and move out of FEMA hotels. Move now.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:28 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
Spain: $1 US Dollar = 1.19 EUR!
Except that $1 US Dollar = 0.86 EUR.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:13 PM

Default It is not........that........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
Good. Then it should be no problem for them to get jobs and move out of FEMA hotels. Move now.

they are in FEMA Hotels what is bothering you.......YOU, just want them OUT of FLORIDA....!!!!!

Old 07-03-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Stereotype much? All my dogs are rescues, and years ago, I volunteered for many dog transports from shelters in the south up to New England.

And just because I am Chinese by genetics, doesn't mean that I embrace mainland Chinese culture.

But my reference to the PR party culture was only in reaction to your thread encouraging your fellow Puerto Ricans to go out and make noise.

It is amazing how you have replied to all my threads, and have purposely bypassed this one: "Puerto Ricans.....Let's Go Out And Make Some Noise!" Why is that such an issue?

Old 07-03-2018, 04:44 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
MOST Puerto Ricans speak E N G L I S H.........YOU just have an issue with us !!!!!!!!!!!
I really honestly don't have a problem with Puerto Ricans. The problem I have is how poorly your island functions. It was massively in debt before Hurricane Maria devastated it. And then, how to rebuild it in a way that makes financial sense. For some of the more remote poorer areas, to rebuild the homes just like they were before the hurricane, seems wasteful since another powerful hurricane could destroy it all again. To build dwellings that are more hurricane proof would be too expensive.

Then the PR electric grid was a hot mess before. It seems like fixing the grid to what it was before would be really expensive, but like the buildings that got demolished, the power lines would be just as vulnerable when the next big hurricane hits.

IMO the rebuild of PR should begin in the most developed cities and the beach areas where the tourists go to first, then work outwards. Meanwhile, more PR people should consider moving to the mainland to live and work. But keep ties to the island and a place to visit for vacations. With climate changes coming, it just doesn't make sense to spend billions to rebuild an island that will get hit by future big hurricanes.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:49 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
It is amazing how you have replied to all my threads, and have purposely bypassed this one: "Puerto Ricans.....Let's Go Out And Make Some Noise!" Why is that such an issue?
He/she is obviously only interested in trolling. Let's just ignore him/her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories