Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,515,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
OMG!!! Enough with the music videos!!!! And posts like these is why the negative stereotyping continues...

Maybe some of the displace PR people in Florida could find work as background extras in music videos, since that's all since dance moves are all they know how to do. </sarcasm>

If you do not like them, you do not have to watch them......I cannot see how this post can cause anyone to have a negative impact. You have very beautiful people singing and dancing......in Spanish and English......and for your information, most of the displaced Puerto Ricans in Florida know more than just dance......you just enjoy putting them down, at every chance you get........a prior love affair gone wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 08:31 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,515,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
That's crazy. PR sounds a village in India or Africa. Not part of the most important country in the world.

This is not America!

Does this video of the ISLAND looks to you like a village in India or Africa? I doubt it.......!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcNua20BKnE

Old 07-11-2018, 06:45 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,169,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
If you do not like them, you do not have to watch them......I cannot see how this post can cause anyone to have a negative impact. You have very beautiful people singing and dancing......in Spanish and English......and for your information, most of the displaced Puerto Ricans in Florida know more than just dance......you just enjoy putting them down, at every chance you get........a prior love affair gone wrong?

when i go to a wedding and the ladies see me dancing they line up to take a turn. everyone wants to spin with the boricua salsa dancer. what can i do Sasie? they wear me out but i cannot disappoint them. unlike their husbands who can't dance. i think you are correct mija. the frustration is strong.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:29 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,264,385 times
Quote:
Well if you read the article:

'It never occurred to me to buy insurance,'' said Ms. Davila, 42. ''Nobody ever came to talk to us about insurance.''

So she was waiting for someone to show up in her village to talk about insurance instead of picking up the phone or the internet to find out about it. And when no one showed up she thought she didn't need insurance and the government would pay for everyting.

AKA acting helpless and not wanting to better yourself.

I read the article.........some people are like that including in the states. If insurance is not mandatory by the government or bank they don't buy insurance and could care less especially the young ones. Nothing new here, this doesn't happen just in P.R.

I don't get the part of better yourself with insurance.......insurance you weigh in the risk factor and make a choice. Everything in life is a risk by just stepping out the door walking to the park or beach.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 AM

330 posts, read 249,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I read the article.........some people are like that including in the states. If insurance is not mandatory by the government or bank they don't buy insurance and could care less especially the young ones. Nothing new here, this doesn't happen just in P.R.
If you have a mortgage you have to have insurance.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
If you have a mortgage you have to have insurance.

not if you are renting unless is demanded in the lease by the landlord or built your own home with wood. that you don't need a bank. Like in the U.S. not everybody in Puerto Rico owns a home with a mortgage. People rent.

add that people on the country side built their little homes made of wood because that's a tradition in P.R. for centuries and it's cheap and most insurance companies won't insured that and if you find one that does the premiums will be so ridiculous high for their budget that is not worth it.

There is a reason why insurance companies don't send their agents to those areas to sell insurance door to door because they won't insured wood houses and like I said even if they did the premiums will so high that there agents will not sell 1 policy to low income families in the country side.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I don't think the people in that article weighed anything. They didn't get insurance because an insurance agent didn't come through their neighborhood and make it easy for them. Then they hoped the government would pay for what they should have been paying -- insurance.

Being ignorant and lazy is not bettering yourself.

nah,,,,,it's easy to talk and shoot from the hip when you don't put yourself in their shoes and don't understand the culture and traditions of people in the country side (campo) in P.R. which is a lot different than the city folks.

Like I said, most insurance companies won't give you a policy for a house made of wood and many people on the country side who work on the land and agriculture don't make enough money to take out a mortgage to build a cement house from scratch to be insured and not everybody can move to the city for jobs. That's their way of life for centuries.

I met lots of people in the countryside (campo) in P.R., they are not ignorant and for sure they are not lazy. They get up early in the morning and work the fields and I enjoy their company better than the city folks who some have their noses up in the air.

I suggest if you want to know a group of people and their way of thinking go take a trip and spend time with them.......their way of life is a lot different than your life in the states.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Well if they don't want to buy insurance then fine. But you live in a hurricane zone so don't ask the rest of us to pay for you to rebuild when the storm hits. Have a savings fund to rebuild your house if you don't want insurance.

you are not listening.......most insurance companies won't insured houses made of wood in P.R......most people in the countryside are poor and their houses are made of wood because it's the cheapest material to put a roof over your family without taking a $100,000 loan from a bank that most of them wouldn't qualify without government help.

let me ask you, poor Americans in the states that live in flood areas, earthquake and fire areas (Cali and nearby states) that can't afford insurance and depend on the government do you feel the same way about them. You label them ignorant and lazy? just wondering.

you know that HALF of the renters in the U.S. don't have renter's insurance? interesting huh? I wonder who picks up the tab when they lose everything in a fire, flood, hurricane, tornado or any natural disaster.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Third world island. Nothing in common with the US except in name only.

that sums it up your personal views on Puerto Rico and the people in it......nice to know.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:28 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,390,832 times
Third world island. Nothing in common with the US except in name only.

I had responded to this post in a way that would've gotten me expulsed from CD. But it's pointless to banter with someone who's made up her mind about an entire group of people [possibly] based on some inadvertent personal experience. Surely Boricua well endowed-ness got the better of her and she's been emotionally scarred ever since.

I wish you well, Miss. I really do.

Last edited by chacho_keva; 07-11-2018 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories