U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 10:09 PM

1,699 posts, read 854,303 times

Advertisements

This is the reason why we need more women in politics.......these are American families with little children....

Judge delays aid deadline for displaced Puerto Ricans after last-minute lawsuit by advocacy groups - Orlando Sentinel
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 10:10 PM

328 posts, read 185,413 times
It's becoming like the Hotel California. You can check out but you can never leave.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:14 PM
miu

17,616 posts, read 36,568,326 times
The parents are US citizens. Why can't they find work in Florida and pay for an apartment? While they were on aid and living in free hotel rooms, the parents should have been working and saving up money for an apartment and their new life in Florida.

Of course, these families can't live forever in free hotel rooms paid for by FEMA or whatever emergency services department is paying for these lodgings.

Hurricane Maria was LAST year. Why don't these Puerto Ricans have a plan? Why are they so helpless?

Old 07-01-2018, 10:43 PM

4,460 posts, read 4,084,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The parents are US citizens. Why can't they find work in Florida and pay for an apartment? While they were on aid and living in free hotel rooms, the parents should have been working and saving up money for an apartment and their new life in Florida.

Of course, these families can't live forever in free hotel rooms paid for by FEMA or whatever emergency services department is paying for these lodgings.

Hurricane Maria was LAST year. Why don't these Puerto Ricans have a plan? Why are they so helpless?
Are you serious? If you lose everything from a Category 5 Hurricane including love ones. Who in the world will have a plan for that.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:50 AM

828 posts, read 388,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

The issue here is that for some odd reason they all decide to move to the worst states imho FL & NY,
I don't know why but its like all Puerto Rican's always run to those two states. COL is high in those states and many of the jobs they CAN get without speaking English are minimum wage and barely able to get by.

I've had family members come to FL only to be stuck working at McDonalds for $8.25 part-time and driving Uber just to afford rent, Honestly that's no way to live. Which is why many of them simply go back to PR, To top things off the state of FL isn't providing them with cash-assistance due to lack of funding.

They aren't 'helpless' by choice, Think about it like this. If you were left displaced and were forced to go to ie; China to find work, You'd have 60-days paid-for in a hotel room; Basically you have 60-days to find a job as a foreigner, learn or at least grasp the language and either have enough saved-up for an apt - Guess what? You're most-likely to fail.

I'm trilingual and have computing related skills as well as a broad resume, There have been times throughout my life where i've been unemployed for more than 3-months.
That's me and i actually have some advantages/skills, Compare that to folks who have a basic education and do not speak English.

Last edited by Drkness; 07-02-2018 at 06:02 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 05:56 AM

Maybe the solution is to give them more aid. If they were just given enough free cash aid they would become productive.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:05 AM

828 posts, read 388,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
Maybe the solution is to give them more aid. If they were just given enough free cash aid they would become productive.
Not sure if this post was meant to be sarcastic but i agree, If they were to receive a monthly stipend & 3-months hotel stay; I think this would prepare them and get them back on their feet quicker.

Why is it that they have caseworkers working their 'FoodStamp' cases but they don't have a caseworker in charge of finding them jobs based on skills & preparing them for interviews etc.
I feel like our govt. would rather give a 'hand-out' than to actually HELP them by making sure they're employed.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:35 AM

They were sent here on a plane, after the storm, by Yulin Cruz and the activists and the Union bosses. The were told they would be given free stuff if they came to Kissimmee. But those people weren't doing them any favors. They would be better off back in PR than living someplace they can't adapt.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:37 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Are you serious? If you lose everything from a Category 5 Hurricane including love ones. Who in the world will have a plan for that.
I am perfectly serious. Most people would have a plan after nearly a year after a disaster. And have they no family ties to members with housing?

Again, though... why aren't the adults working and having an income stream?

Seriously, how long do you think that these hurricane victims should be put up for free in these hotels? Until the US government completely rebuilds their homes and fixes their electric grid? Why are Puerto Ricans so completely helpless? Must everything be handed to them for free?

Old 07-02-2018, 10:42 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
Not sure if this post was meant to be sarcastic but i agree, If they were to receive a monthly stipend & 3-months hotel stay; I think this would prepare them and get them back on their feet quicker.

Why is it that they have caseworkers working their 'FoodStamp' cases but they don't have a caseworker in charge of finding them jobs based on skills & preparing them for interviews etc.
I feel like our govt. would rather give a 'hand-out' than to actually HELP them by making sure they're employed.
NO!!! They are able-bodied American citizens and they should be working while in Florida, not lounging around in a hotel room watching Spanish language tele-novelas. Why do they need a stipend? Instead, they should be doing something productive every day. This should not be a paid vacation for them.

Unemployment rates are extremely low. And being Florida, there are plenty of jobs where their fellow employees would speak and understand Spanish.

And they should also be learning to speak English, since they are American citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories