U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:13 PM
 
328 posts, read 185,413 times
Reputation: 370

Advertisements

Those shacks should have been built to code from the start.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:17 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,616 posts, read 36,568,326 times
Reputation: 17411
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It would be cheaper in the long run for us to do exactly that ... build everything to first world standards. Then the housing and infrastructure would be more resilient and in future storms the damage would be reduced and costs would be less.
We just can't give Puerto Rico a free rebuild of ALL their existing housing stock. Not when there is greater need for affordable housing in the US mainland. And Puerto Rico is only a territory, not a state. There is also no precedent where the US government did anything close to that for 3.4 million people in the states.

We should first be as generous to the Native Americans in our country.

Additionally, I don't see where the Puerto Ricans have shown any efforts on their own to bring their standards of housing up to the US mainland's level. The nicest buildings are primarily in areas marketed to non-islanders as vacation condos or rentals. And they do that to cater to the tourists and attract their tourist dollars.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:21 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,616 posts, read 36,568,326 times
Reputation: 17411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
Those shacks should have been built to code from the start.
Agreed. But apparently that standard isn't important to Puerto Ricans. Those dwellings were built with the aim of being cheap and to meet the bare minimum of housing needs. Not one of those houses were built with sound craftsmanship. Not one was built with "one hundred year construction" in mind.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:22 PM
 
328 posts, read 185,413 times
Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Additionally, I don't see where the Puerto Ricans have shown any efforts on their own to bring their standards of housing up to the US mainland's level.
They could have done that a long time ago. But they spend all their effort on status debate instead of real things in the world.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 10:17 AM
mym
 
632 posts, read 911,450 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It would be cheaper in the long run for us to do exactly that ... build everything to first world standards. Then the housing and infrastructure would be more resilient and in future storms the damage would be reduced and costs would be less.
oh hell no!!! more regulation? what are you an anti American communist? our greatest President who is the hugest geniusest President ever is not gonna stand for that. less regulation is key.

when you insult him and his huge geniuosity all you are gonna do is attract a bunch of recently made troll accounts who get on here to disrupt things. remember the paper towel debacle? when our hugest geniousness President was insulted for his huge generous contribution of brawny paper towels, the most hugely absorbentent towels in the whole world, we also ended up with a bunch of recently made troll accounts defending our great hugely geniousest President. and we wouldn't want that again would we now?

no sir.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 10:20 AM
 
15,593 posts, read 6,545,333 times
Reputation: 18643
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It would be cheaper in the long run for us to do exactly that ... build everything to first world standards. Then the housing and infrastructure would be more resilient and in future storms the damage would be reduced and costs would be less.

It would be cheaper in the long run to set them free.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 AM
mym
 
632 posts, read 911,450 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It would be cheaper in the long run to set them free.
true that. and Houston. and New Orleans. and wounded Veterans.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 11:23 AM
 
11,049 posts, read 4,325,420 times
Reputation: 5233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
oh hell no!!! more regulation? what are you an anti American communist? our greatest President who is the hugest geniusest President ever is not gonna stand for that. less regulation is key.

when you insult him and his huge geniuosity all you are gonna do is attract a bunch of recently made troll accounts who get on here to disrupt things. remember the paper towel debacle? when our hugest geniousness President was insulted for his huge generous contribution of brawny paper towels, the most hugely absorbentent towels in the whole world, we also ended up with a bunch of recently made troll accounts defending our great hugely geniousest President. and we wouldn't want that again would we now?

no sir.





^^^^ liberal anti-Trump rant.......yeah because the real problems in P.R. is Trump and that he didn't shed tears and didn't give enough hugs and we need more drama queens like commandant Carmen Yulin who bashes our President, is against statehood but adores the dictators in Cuba and Venezuela and is a socialist and her administration is under federal investigation for fraud. How is that working out in San Juan and the rest of P.R.?........ the funny thing is she has a good chance to win in 2020 as governor of Puerto Rico because of Ricans like you. She already won re-election in San Juan by a wide margin so winning the governorship seems real possible.





The U.S. has given a lot more to Puerto Rico than just brawny paper towels. Billions of dollars EVERY year but for some Puerto Ricans that will never be good enough and it's all Trump's fault.




Meanwhile in 2017, 75% of the electorate in Puerto Rico (1.5 million voters) stayed home and didn't vote for statehood and don't care to continue the status quo as long that those billions of dollars in federal aid keep coming every year and those are the ones that complain in crisis why P.R. isn't treated as a state and Carmen Yulin is one of them.




that to me is the REAL outrage and insult than Trump tossing paper towels to a crowd in the back who told him to toss it to them because they couldn't get to the front and the masses were easily manipulated and played by the media because with all the cr@p going on in Puerto Rico, you know the way a President tosses paper towels is real important for Puerto Ricans.....that is PRIORITY #1.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 07-16-2018 at 12:05 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 02:39 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,801 posts, read 9,070,099 times
Reputation: 7327
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
true that. and Houston. and New Orleans. and wounded Veterans.
^ good retort

Ironically enough the biggest net drains on the US Treasury are those solid red states in "flyover country". New York gets back only 79 cents out of every $1 we send to Washington, meanwhile South Carolina gets back $1.35 for every $1 they send ...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Philly
10,067 posts, read 14,897,897 times
Reputation: 2804
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
We just can't give Puerto Rico a free rebuild of ALL their existing housing stock. Not when there is greater need for affordable housing in the US mainland. And Puerto Rico is only a territory, not a state. There is also no precedent where the US government did anything close to that for 3.4 million people in the states.

We should first be as generous to the Native Americans in our country.

Additionally, I don't see where the Puerto Ricans have shown any efforts on their own to bring their standards of housing up to the US mainland's level. The nicest buildings are primarily in areas marketed to non-islanders as vacation condos or rentals. And they do that to cater to the tourists and attract their tourist dollars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It would be cheaper in the long run for us to do exactly that ... build everything to first world standards. Then the housing and infrastructure would be more resilient and in future storms the damage would be reduced and costs would be less.
it's important to remember that good, safe codes cost money and even in the US mainland where incomes are higher, stringent codes (to say nothing of restrictive zoning) often result in expensive housing which is what causes affordability problems. homelessness in california is out of control because they build so little housing relative to demand despite high average incomes. there is no quick fix. those homes not built to code often house people who could not afford a new, code built house. the process will be slow. incomes need to be raised by passing structural reforms, streamlining bureaucracy, and reducing corruption. PREPA and PRASA need to be fixed ASAP. new codes need to be passed but it will mean nothing without enforcement and rising incomes to pay for it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top