U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2018, 05:24 PM
mym
 
632 posts, read 912,788 times
Reputation: 742

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
^^^^ liberal anti-Trump rant
nah. you don't have to be liberal to be anti-Trump

my favorite president is Ronald Reagan.

he didn't suck up to the communists. he destroyed them. back when they had a GDP bigger than Italy.

Last edited by mym; 07-16-2018 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: didnt need to say that
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2018, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Boydton, VA
3,306 posts, read 3,984,172 times
Reputation: 6683
"IMO "off the grid" is also living in a manner where one is living out of sight of the usual authorities. Not paying taxes, keeping ones name off of utility bills and the like".

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but "off the grid" refers only to living apart from the "electric grid".

off the grid
phrase of grid
1.
not dependent on public utilities, especially the supply of electricity.
"people living off the grid had begun using wind turbines"


Regards
Gemstone1
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 09:22 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,616 posts, read 36,601,742 times
Reputation: 17411
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it's important to remember that good, safe codes cost money and even in the US mainland where incomes are higher, stringent codes (to say nothing of restrictive zoning) often result in expensive housing which is what causes affordability problems. homelessness in california is out of control because they build so little housing relative to demand despite high average incomes. there is no quick fix. those homes not built to code often house people who could not afford a new, code built house. the process will be slow. incomes need to be raised by passing structural reforms, streamlining bureaucracy, and reducing corruption. PREPA and PRASA need to be fixed ASAP. new codes need to be passed but it will mean nothing without enforcement and rising incomes to pay for it.
The great earthquake of 1906 in San Francisco and the great fire of 1871 in Chicago were huge catastrophic events for those cities. It took many decades to rebuild those cities, and at great private cost. And the cities were redesigned in the process. And the poor and small businesses were driven out as bigger and sturdier buildings replaced the destroyed smaller structures and houses.

Puerto Rico should have reorganized and redesigned their island after the big hurricane hit in 1998. But they didn't. And it would be a mistake to try to rebuild the structures destroyed by hurricane Maria exactly the same ways, with the same materials and in the same locations.

The island will get future big hurricane hits in the future for sure, so why not plan in advance for them? And also, even in good stretches of weather, the island can't support 3.4 million people in terms of all of them having good jobs and a decent place to live. So more should think about moving to the US mainland for work and then visit their island for vacation and retirement. And as they make more money in the US, save as much as they can to build a hurricane proof home with solar power on the island. And then insure it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 11:25 PM
 
11,049 posts, read 4,335,479 times
Reputation: 5234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
nah. you don't have to be liberal to be anti-Trump

my favorite president is Ronald Reagan.

he didn't suck up to the communists. he destroyed them. back when they had a GDP bigger than Italy.

but we sure suck up to China.....aren't they communists and a bigger threat to our economy than Russia?........I guess not since most politicians in D.C. and their special interests are in the Chinese payroll.



first of all, the COLD WAR is over........Russia still has the second biggest nuclear arsenal in the world. It's the job of the President to sit down with whoever is in the Kremlin to scale down the drums of war and avoid WW 3. Every President since FDR including Reagan has sat down with the leader of the Kremlin to avoid war and nobody called them "traitors" and that they are surrendering to the enemy. Stalin and Krushev were mass murders and still, U.S. Presidents of both parties sat down with them to find peace and avoid a nuclear WW 3.

For the Warhawks and neocons in both parties ( the people in both parties that got us in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Lybia and now putting NATO troops on Russia's border) and the American media that has been so wrong in foreign policy of endless wars and endless occupations to attack the President for trying to scale back war with the 2nd nuclear power in the world is crazy because they hate Trump.

I want my President to do well and find peace and avoid war, regardless if I voted for him or not...........this Russia animosity and wanting to go to war with the 2nd nuclear power in the world is crazy but many are beating the drums of war with Russia and the media is part of the problem.

as an American and a veteran, I'm getting pretty tired of endless wars and endless occupations and being told what to think by the same ruling class that has been so wrong time after time and got us in many messes around the world.

you think Vietnam was bad for us....try going to war with Russia and send your kids and family members to die because you were brainwashed with propaganda to hate Russia and the BS that they are our biggest threat to our democracy and liberties.....what a joke!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 08:25 AM
mym
 
632 posts, read 912,788 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
^ good retort

Ironically enough the biggest net drains on the US Treasury are those solid red states in "flyover country". New York gets back only 79 cents out of every $1 we send to Washington, meanwhile South Carolina gets back $1.35 for every $1 they send ...
thank you.

united we stand, divided we fall. I'm sure South Carolina provides value other than dollars. God Bless their hearts.

of course the irony is i want PR to be independent. let's start another status thread!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 AM
mym
 
632 posts, read 912,788 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
but we sure suck up to China.....aren't they communists and a bigger threat to our economy than Russia?........I guess not since most politicians in D.C. and their special interests are in the Chinese payroll.



first of all, the COLD WAR is over........Russia still has the second biggest nuclear arsenal in the world. It's the job of the President to sit down with whoever is in the Kremlin to scale down the drums of war and avoid WW 3. Every President since FDR including Reagan has sat down with the leader of the Kremlin to avoid war and nobody called them "traitors" and that they are surrendering to the enemy. Stalin and Krushev were mass murders and still, U.S. Presidents of both parties sat down with them to find peace and avoid a nuclear WW 3.

For the Warhawks and neocons in both parties ( the people in both parties that got us in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Lybia and now putting NATO troops on Russia's border) and the American media that has been so wrong in foreign policy of endless wars and endless occupations to attack the President for trying to scale back war with the 2nd nuclear power in the world is crazy because they hate Trump.

I want my President to do well and find peace and avoid war, regardless if I voted for him or not...........this Russia animosity and wanting to go to war with the 2nd nuclear power in the world is crazy but many are beating the drums of war with Russia and the media is part of the problem.

as an American and a veteran, I'm getting pretty tired of endless wars and endless occupations and being told what to think by the same ruling class that has been so wrong time after time and got us in many messes around the world.

you think Vietnam was bad for us....try going to war with Russia and send your kids and family members to die because you were brainwashed with propaganda to hate Russia and the BS that they are our biggest threat to our democracy and liberties.....what a joke!
i cant really disagree with anything you said.

i wonder if the OP is going to get insurance or not?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 03:25 PM
 
518 posts, read 946,479 times
Reputation: 485
FEMA reached the end of the line on payments.

Now Puetyo Rican’s will have to get their act together. Stop wining, waiting for FEMA payments. They have to get bags and neighborhood squads to pix up the trash, fix traffic lights, paint, get nails and hammers and do it themselves like Cubans do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 PM
 
11,049 posts, read 4,335,479 times
Reputation: 5234
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
FEMA reached the end of the line on payments.

Now Puetyo Rican’s will have to get their act together. Stop wining, waiting for FEMA payments. They have to get bags and neighborhood squads to pix up the trash, fix traffic lights, paint, get nails and hammers and do it themselves like Cubans do.

Like the Boricua saying goes and the mentality of some...... "el que no llora no mama" if you don't cry loud enough you won't get milk from Mommie.

They believe if they keep complaining and whining that the government will eventually hand it out. That's how politicians in the island dealt with the problems. They are used to it.


Like I said before here, our grandparents had Felipe Hurricane in 1928 that leftover 500,000 Puerto Ricans homeless, then they had to deal with the Great Depression in the 30's then WW 2 where you had shortages of food and supplies in the market to support the war in the Pacific and Europe and they re-build Puerto Rico and had big families and raised future generations without the whining and crying and the big dependency on government we have today.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2018, 08:03 PM
mym
 
632 posts, read 912,788 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
i cant really disagree with anything you said.
Wait. I meant I disagree with everything you said. Lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 06:28 PM
 
11,049 posts, read 4,335,479 times
Reputation: 5234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
Wait. I meant I disagree with everything you said. Lol

So you think Russia is our #1 threat against our democracy and liberties?

I can see the thousands of Puerto Ricans with no power, no jobs and millions in the island with no voice or representation blaming Putin for their situation....lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top