U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2018, 06:41 PM
Status: "177th Anniversary of Freedom!" (set 18 days ago)
 
6,750 posts, read 9,501,168 times
Reputation: 5200

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
So are the vast majority of Republican dominated states. Shall we get rid of them too? What does Alabama bring to the table? What does Idaho bring to the table?
I understand your point, but there is another point that you are missing here (or maybe decided to ignore): those are all legitimate states.

Remember that once a territory becomes a state, there's no going back. Once cemented into the USA, it will remain like that until the world ends or the USA disintegrate, whichever comes first.

PR is not a state and Congress still reserves the right to keep the island or let it loose, and that's one right Congress doesn't have with actual states.

The question many Americans could be asking themselves is: does the USA need another state that brings little to the table? Aren't states like Alabama or Idaho enough? Does it really need one more?

Come on now, I know that you know this. Play these debates on a fair base.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-20-2018, 07:20 PM
 
3,758 posts, read 1,192,762 times
Reputation: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
They don't need to barrow money, their senators and congressmen (with overbalanced representation due to the Electoral College and equal representation) steal money from New Yorkers and Californians on their behalf. The producing states like New York, California, and Colorado are being robbed blind by the taker states.
Please tell me what New York and Colorado produce ,besides snow and apples?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-20-2018, 08:45 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,801 posts, read 9,087,200 times
Reputation: 7327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Please tell me what New York and Colorado produce ,besides snow and apples?
The vast majority of the United States GDP.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 PM
 
328 posts, read 186,457 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I understand your point, but there is another point that you are missing here (or maybe decided to ignore): those are all legitimate states.

Remember that once a territory becomes a state, there's no going back. Once cemented into the USA, it will remain like that until the world ends or the USA disintegrate, whichever comes first.

PR is not a state and Congress still reserves the right to keep the island or let it loose, and that's one right Congress doesn't have with actual states.

The question many Americans could be asking themselves is: does the USA need another state that brings little to the table? Aren't states like Alabama or Idaho enough? Does it really need one more?

Come on now, I know that you know this. Play these debates on a fair base.
You are right. Those in charge of the US will know that a statehood vote is just because they are in debt and falling apart. They are never going to get statehood now.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-20-2018, 09:27 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,616 posts, read 36,624,860 times
Reputation: 17412
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
So are the vast majority of Republican dominated states. Shall we get rid of them too? What does Alabama bring to the table? What does Idaho bring to the table?
The lower 48 states are all connected by their borders and the interstates. Meanwhile, Puerto Rico is a remote island, and as the decades go by, there is a greater gap between the the mainland and P.R. in terms of quality of life. Every year that goes by, PR lags farther behind in terms of what a first world place should be. IMO PR would have been much better off had the British been running it. Otherwise, Puerto Ricans themselves should have made English their main language instead of Spanish. And tried harder to live more like mainland Americans, instead of being a Spanish speaking tourist destination.

A lot of black people live in Alabama and also the COL is low. Idaho has potatoes!!!

Seriously though, what I find interesting in all the political maps, basically all rural areas vote red, and urban areas vote blue. Alabama and Idaho are predominately rural areas. Yes, they have cities, but not like NYC, Chicago, SF and LA. But country folk and city folk have vastly different lifestyles and priorities.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-20-2018, 10:08 PM
 
11,049 posts, read 4,342,008 times
Reputation: 5234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
Because people are tired of having to pay for PR's messes?

shouldn't you start with the messes of non-citizens first?..........We have been bailing out European countries and South Korea and Japan and paying for most of their defense for over 70 years at taxpayers expense while they have pretty good economies....don't let me get started on Israel.

How about the illegal immigration in our country that our elite ruling class promotes for cheap labor?


Puerto Rico's internal mess doesn't even make the U.S. top 50 concerns but at least they are U.S. Citizens and we take care of our citizens.

if you are tired of paying for countries that are taking advantage of the American Taxpayer start with NATO and that other worthless organization the United Nations.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-20-2018, 10:32 PM
 
11,049 posts, read 4,342,008 times
Reputation: 5234
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I understand your point, but there is another point that you are missing here (or maybe decided to ignore): those are all legitimate states.

Remember that once a territory becomes a state, there's no going back. Once cemented into the USA, it will remain like that until the world ends or the USA disintegrate, whichever comes first.

PR is not a state and Congress still reserves the right to keep the island or let it loose, and that's one right Congress doesn't have with actual states.

The question many Americans could be asking themselves is: does the USA need another state that brings little to the table? Aren't states like Alabama or Idaho enough? Does it really need one more?

Come on now, I know that you know this. Play these debates on a fair base.


Jesus dude, the U.S.A already owns Puerto Rico and all Puerto Ricans are U.S. Citizens. Meaning you can't strip the citizenship involuntarily of anyone and give them away to some other country like you are trading baseball cards when you were a kid in school. Read the constitution and the bill of rights once in while.

Since U.S. territories aren't sovereign but are under the full jurisdiction and protection of Congress then it's Congress ultimately responsible for any government debt in Puerto Rico. They can tell the government of P.R. how to manage it and they have and if Congress has to take a more aggressive approach and be more hands-on in P.R. they will because the U.S. Constitution gives Congress that power under the territorial clause of the U.S. Constitution.

The Supreme Court already ruled that the U.S. Congress can't take the U.S. citizenship away involuntarily of anybody regardless of color, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation or politics. Puerto Rico is not some deserted island that the federal government can "cut loose" (whatever that means) or give to another country. It's full of 3.4 million U.S. Citizens with PROPERTY RIGHTS with strong ties to the mainland where over 5 million Puerto Ricans live.

So when you keep repeating that Congress can "cut loose" or "give away" 3.4 million Puerto Ricans who once again I repeat to deaf ears ARE U.S. Citizens to another country or a foreign jurisdiction against their will then you sound ignorant about American Civics and federal laws.

but let's pretend the U.S. Congress violates the Supreme Court and violates many laws and rights and gives away Puerto Rico with 3.4 million people in it (give it to who)...All they are doing is forcing 3.5 million Puerto Ricans to move to the 50 States and still it will be the federal government's problem but now you add the states that will have to accommodate them.

you are taking a manageable situation for the federal government and make it into a crisis at all levels in the courts and with people's lives and properties.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2018, 01:29 AM
 
18,094 posts, read 15,785,754 times
Reputation: 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
shouldn't you start with the messes of non-citizens first?..........We have been bailing out European countries and South Korea and Japan and paying for most of their defense for over 70 years at taxpayers expense while they have pretty good economies....don't let me get started on Israel.

How about the illegal immigration in our country that our elite ruling class promotes for cheap labor?


Puerto Rico's internal mess doesn't even make the U.S. top 50 concerns but at least they are U.S. Citizens and we take care of our citizens.

if you are tired of paying for countries that are taking advantage of the American Taxpayer start with NATO and that other worthless organization the United Nations.
The US has given Ukraine for example $1 billion in just military aid alone since 2014. I am sure that billion could have been put to good use in PR, I rather it gone to PR, at least they are citizens.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2018, 01:58 AM
 
11,049 posts, read 4,342,008 times
Reputation: 5234
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The US has given Ukraine for example $1 billion in just military aid alone since 2014. I am sure that billion could have been put to good use in PR, I rather it gone to PR, at least they are citizens.



We have been bailing out Europe, Japan and South Korea for over 70 years with their defense while they get richer.


The GDP of the European Union is 17.3 trillion a year (#2 in the world). Japan is #4 and Germany #5.......We pay for most of NATO and the UN.......just what We give Israel alone is a topic by itself.



and some people here complain about a U.S. territory of 130 x 35 miles? LOL, at least We are U.S. citizens. Like I said, if some of you are "tired" of paying for other people's messes start with the NON-Citizens first then We can start with the U.S. Citizens.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2018, 07:36 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,801 posts, read 9,087,200 times
Reputation: 7327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
but let's pretend the U.S. Congress violates the Supreme Court and violates many laws and rights and gives away Puerto Rico with 3.4 million people in it (give it to who)...All they are doing is forcing 3.5 million Puerto Ricans to move to the 50 States and still it will be the federal government's problem but now you add the states that will have to accommodate them.
^ this

Even if we somehow did force Puerto Rico to become independent a large portion (perhaps even the vast majority) of the population would pack up and move to the mainland. And then what? You'll still have to pay for them. Transfer payments to Florida or transfer payments to Puerto Rico ... what's the difference?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top