U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2018, 02:46 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,616 posts, read 36,568,326 times
Reputation: 17411

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Exactly. While we cannot force PR to become a state, if I waa a high ranking government official, I’d make a trip to PR personally and ask what mainland can do for PR to win them over into joining us. Whatever we need to do to allow them to enjoy the full benefits of citizenship without making them sacrifice their unique culture. I’d even go as far as to propose to make Spanish a secondary official language since we have so many Spanish speakers in the US already. After all, Thomas Jefferson himself said the two most important languages to learn would be English and Spanish.
And what year did Thomas Jefferson say that???

Right now, English is the standard global language for science/medicine and business. Not Spanish. Not Mandarin.

Adding a second official language to America would cost our country trillions in order to accommodate this idiocy.

And heck no. IMO Spanish should not be made the second official language of America. Because that would hurt those whose other language (besides English) might be Portuguese (Portugal, Brazil), French (France, Haiti), Arabic (Middle Eastern countries, Morocco), and every other country's immigrants and would make them feel extremely excluded and implying for them to learn both English AND Spanish to function in the US.

If some wants to speak Spanish over English, then there are plenty of other good countries for them to move to. Want to live in America? Learn to speak English. Speaking English is the only glue holding our country together, since we have people from so many different religions and nationalities.

As it is, in diverse workplaces, the Spanish speaking workers keep to themselves to speak in their language, it's divisive and also rude to do that. And it's not just whites that are annoyed by this behaviour, but the black workers feel shut out also.

Our government needs to fund English immersion camps for those in our country that are unable to learn English as a second language on their own.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-21-2018, 03:18 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,801 posts, read 9,070,099 times
Reputation: 7327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Exactly. While we cannot force PR to become a state, if I waa a high ranking government official, I’d make a trip to PR personally and ask what mainland can do for PR to win them over into joining us. Whatever we need to do to allow them to enjoy the full benefits of citizenship without making them sacrifice their unique culture. I’d even go as far as to propose to make Spanish a secondary official language since we have so many Spanish speakers in the US already. After all, Thomas Jefferson himself said the two most important languages to learn would be English and Spanish.
The problem isn't necessarily 'winning over' the people per se ... we've done that over the past 120+ years. The problem with getting Puerto Ricans to support statehood is the Popular Democratic Party which supports the current territorial/colonial status quo. Populares as they are called tend to dominate the media and education systems on the island.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2018, 03:24 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,801 posts, read 9,070,099 times
Reputation: 7327
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And what year did Thomas Jefferson say that???

Right now, English is the standard global language for science/medicine and business. Not Spanish. Not Mandarin.

Adding a second official language to America would cost our country trillions in order to accommodate this idiocy.

And heck no. IMO Spanish should not be made the second official language of America. Because that would hurt those whose other language (besides English) might be Portuguese (Portugal, Brazil), French (France, Haiti), Arabic (Middle Eastern countries, Morocco), and every other country's immigrants and would make them feel extremely excluded and implying for them to learn both English AND Spanish to function in the US.

If some wants to speak Spanish over English, then there are plenty of other good countries for them to move to. Want to live in America? Learn to speak English. Speaking English is the only glue holding our country together, since we have people from so many different religions and nationalities.

As it is, in diverse workplaces, the Spanish speaking workers keep to themselves to speak in their language, it's divisive and also rude to do that. And it's not just whites that are annoyed by this behaviour, but the black workers feel shut out also.

Our government needs to fund English immersion camps for those in our country that are unable to learn English as a second language on their own.
The US has wanted Puerto Rico since the early 1800s. Thomas Jefferson and John Quincy Adams both tried to buy Puerto Rico from Spain. Pro-slavery and anti-slavery fractions also both had proposals annex Puerto Rico (and Cuba) in the 1850s. There's also some evidence that the US instigated the "Grito de Lares" revolt in 1868 with the intention of swooping in to take over once the Spanish were forced out.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2018, 05:27 PM
 
328 posts, read 185,413 times
Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The US has wanted Puerto Rico since the early 1800s. Thomas Jefferson and John Quincy Adams both tried to buy Puerto Rico from Spain. Pro-slavery and anti-slavery fractions also both had proposals annex Puerto Rico (and Cuba) in the 1850s. There's also some evidence that the US instigated the "Grito de Lares" revolt in 1868 with the intention of swooping in to take over once the Spanish were forced out.
But do they still want it?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2018, 06:09 PM
 
1,699 posts, read 854,303 times
Reputation: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Puerto Rico doesn't want to be independent. You keep missing the memo for the past 50 years. Why you keep pushing for independence when you don't live on the island is beyond me. Are you even Puerto Rican? Do you have any roots in P.R.?......Just wondering......

They want to keep their American Citizenship and travel and live in any part of the 50 states and its territories for jobs, college or retirement with all the benefits and protection without a green card or asking permission to come to the USA as a visitor 6 to 12 months in advance with no benefits.

Puerto Ricans might be lots of things but We aren't fools...We see how the Mexicans, Dominicans, Venezuelans., Guatamantecos and the rest of the Latinos are struggling in their countries and the things they do to get in the USA. Why would we want to be in their shoes?


if you are doing well in Puerto Rico you stay but if you are not then you have 50 states to choose from for jobs, school or retirement in a nation with the best GDP in the world. Why would a Puerto Rican would take out that option for him/her and their family? for independence and a useless symbolic patriotism that is not going to put food on the table and bring jobs?

HEllion 1999...........WE ARE FOR STATEHOOD................!!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2018, 06:22 PM
 
328 posts, read 185,413 times
Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I’d even go as far as to propose to make Spanish a secondary official language since we have so many Spanish speakers in the US already. .
Great idea--said nobody ever.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2018, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Shreveport, LA
1,452 posts, read 1,177,846 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
A certain demographic of Americans are in an uproar about "Spanish taking over America" and Mandarin is also a very important language to learn.
I thought about Mandarin. There are so many Mandarin speakers and China is gaining influence so fast that I'd definitely support Mandarin instruction in schools as a tertiary language. In general, the more languages the general population understands, the better. Any educated person should at least be fluent in the colonial languages and in languages like Mandarin which have a large number of speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And what year did Thomas Jefferson say that???

Right now, English is the standard global language for science/medicine and business. Not Spanish. Not Mandarin.

Adding a second official language to America would cost our country trillions in order to accommodate this idiocy.

And heck no. IMO Spanish should not be made the second official language of America. Because that would hurt those whose other language (besides English) might be Portuguese (Portugal, Brazil), French (France, Haiti), Arabic (Middle Eastern countries, Morocco), and every other country's immigrants and would make them feel extremely excluded and implying for them to learn both English AND Spanish to function in the US.

If some wants to speak Spanish over English, then there are plenty of other good countries for them to move to. Want to live in America? Learn to speak English. Speaking English is the only glue holding our country together, since we have people from so many different religions and nationalities.

As it is, in diverse workplaces, the Spanish speaking workers keep to themselves to speak in their language, it's divisive and also rude to do that. And it's not just whites that are annoyed by this behaviour, but the black workers feel shut out also.

Our government needs to fund English immersion camps for those in our country that are unable to learn English as a second language on their own.
After English, Spanish is the next most commonly spoken language in the US. At the very least, I'd like to see Spanish as a mandatory primary and secondary school subject. That way, speakers whose primary language is not Spanish won't be excluded the way they are now because they will be able to understand Spanish. We can add more languages to the curriculum in order to ease communication later. French? Arabic? We could increase funding to teach children those as well. While I'll partially walk back my previous suggestion to make Spanish a secondary official language overnight, we should at least make sure the next generation is fluent in those additional languages they will probably encounter at work.

If we ever DID manage to make Spanish a second official language, we could take note from Canada (who currently has both English and French as official languages) and only require immigrants to learn English OR Spanish.


Last edited by Magic Qwan; 07-21-2018 at 06:42 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2018, 06:33 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,616 posts, read 36,568,326 times
Reputation: 17411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I thought about Mandarin. There are so many Mandarin speakers and China is gaining influence so fast that I'd definitely support Mandarin instruction in schools as a tertiary language. In general, the more languages the general population understands, the better. Any educated person should at least be fluent in the colonial languages and in languages like Mandarin which have a large number of speakers.
Maybe in Europe, you will meet many multi-lingual people, as their countries are small and sharing borders. However, the majority of Americans are content with only knowing one language.... English. So no way would they be interested in knowing three languages well, English, Spanish and Mandarin. That is just crazy talk and a huge waste of taxpayer dollars. As it is, we really need to stop trying to force all of our grade school students to be on an honors level college track. Not every adult wants to work a white collar tech or software writing job or to be a doctor... and with a huge college debt. Instead, we need to evaluate each student on an individual basis, and honestly, many would be happier with a blue collar career where there will actually be a future shortage for those sorts of jobs.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2018, 06:33 PM
 
1,699 posts, read 854,303 times
Reputation: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
At the end of the day, everyone is a burden on someone else ... even you.
I just rep you.....keep it up.....
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-21-2018, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Shreveport, LA
1,452 posts, read 1,177,846 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Maybe in Europe, you will meet many multi-lingual people, as their countries are small and sharing borders. However, the majority of Americans are content with only knowing one language.... English. So no way would they be interested in knowing three languages well, English, Spanish and Mandarin. That is just crazy talk and a huge waste of taxpayer dollars. As it is, we really need to stop trying to force all of our grade school students to be on an honors level college track. Not every adult wants to work a white collar tech or software writing job or to be a doctor... and with a huge college debt. Instead, we need to evaluate each student on an individual basis, and honestly, many would be happier with a blue collar career where there will actually be a future shortage for those sorts of jobs.
I agree our policymakers need to understand not everybody will be interested in going to college. Local blue collar jobs are equally important to white collar and pink collar jobs, yet policymakers are not on page with that yet. In Germany, tradespeople get more respect than in America, and their low unemployment rates reflect this. America's labor surplus for white and pink collar jobs and labor shortage for blue collar jobs would be solved if students were allowed to focus on their strengths when in school rather than being shoehorned into a one-size-fits-all approach.

That said, the next generation being fluent in America's top 2-3 most common languages will help them in business rather they are blue collar, white collar, or pink collar.

Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top