U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 08:41 AM
miu

17,635 posts, read 37,300,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Does anyone really see statehood as a realistic possibility? It doesn't seem realistic to me given the linguistic and socio-economic gaps. Plus, its unclear that it would really help PR develop.
If PR became a state, and mainlanders started to develop the island, most likely the native PR people (being so poor and not being the official landowners) would get pushed to the more remote and rural areas of the island. And the nicer, developed parts would be taken over by the wealthier mainlanders. In the long run, the islanders would lose most of their island, since they couldn't afford to pay the prices of the developed areas.

It's highly unreasonable to think that mainlanders would build sturdy hurricane-proof dwellings just to give to the impoverished native islanders for free.

I hope with the current rebuilding, the locals aren't rebuilding with wood. Taking a lesson from the children's story about the three pigs and the wolf (the wolf being hurricane season), stop building with wood, and instead build with bricks and cinderblocks.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-23-2018, 09:14 AM

328 posts, read 198,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

I hope with the current rebuilding, the locals aren't rebuilding with wood. Taking a lesson from the children's story about the three pigs and the wolf (the wolf being hurricane season), stop building with wood, and instead build with bricks and cinderblocks.
Most had no insurance so they rebuild with whatever they can find--trees, sticks.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:46 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
Most had no insurance so they rebuild with whatever they can find--trees, sticks.
So no clay deposits on the island with which to make bricks with? Maybe they should create a GoFundMe page for funds to make a cinderblock factory that would sell their products for close to cost to those rebuilding after Hurricane Maria, and the factory would provide jobs for the locals also.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
So no clay deposits on the island with which to make bricks with? Maybe they should create a GoFundMe page for funds to make a cinderblock factory that would sell their products for close to cost to those rebuilding after Hurricane Maria, and the factory would provide jobs for the locals also.
Whatever they do, don't expect it to be built to code. It's a tradition on the island not to use codes, or deeds or have home insurance, or a power grid that works.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:43 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
Whatever they do, don't expect it to be built to code. It's a tradition on the island not to use codes, or deeds or have home insurance, or a power grid that works.
Well Hurricane Maria could be taken as a chance for the people of PR to evolve and move into the 21st century... or not. It's their choice. And they shouldn't sit around waiting for gifts from the US.

Otherwise... isn't one definition of "insanity" is repeating the same actions and expecting a different result?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:45 AM

355 posts, read 654,796 times
The ignorance on this board is staggering. Saying things like PR shouldn't wait on gifts from the United States... assistance is not a gift. PR is part of the United States and it's residents are citizens the same as you and therefore deserving of every consideration you would expect for yourself.

And....... Does it really matter what the NAACP backs and doesn't back. No, no it doesn't.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:25 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
The ignorance on this board is staggering. Saying things like PR shouldn't wait on gifts from the United States... assistance is not a gift. PR is part of the United States and it's residents are citizens the same as you and therefore deserving of every consideration you would expect for yourself.

And....... Does it really matter what the NAACP backs and doesn't back. No, no it doesn't.
If my house was devastated by a storm, I would have insurance to help cover the damages. I would be working already and even 6-7 days a week in order to make the money to get my life back in order. And I certainly wouldn't expect free hotel rooms for a year either and be so far away from my home.

BTW the Katrina victims didn't get free hotel rooms for a year.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
If my house was devastated by a storm, I would have insurance to help cover the damages. I would be working already and even 6-7 days a week in order to make the money to get my life back in order. And I certainly wouldn't expect free hotel rooms for a year either and be so far away from my home.

BTW the Katrina victims didn't get free hotel rooms for a year.
Right.

Puerto Rico is an island. Surrounded by water. Lots of water. Waiting for FEMA as first responders in a disaster isn't a plan.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:51 PM

355 posts, read 654,796 times
Do you really expect your uninformed opinion about what aid "ALL" Katrina victims received to be taken at face value? Of course not, that would be a ridiculous.

Fact is that many of the displaced were housed in gov't provided trailers for more than a year. And some of the displaced are still today living in the trailers FEMA provided. All in all 45,000 plus trailers were provided to Katrina victims........ And so you don't start chanting "Trailers Not Motels"... trailers for semi-permanent housing on an island prone to hurricanes is not a safe option.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
All in all 45,000 plus trailers were provided to Katrina victims........ And so you don't start chanting "Trailers Not Motels"... trailers for semi-permanent housing on an island prone to hurricanes is not a safe option.
But they're not on the island. They're in Florida hotels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.