Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:06 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancnie View Post
Sunrico is correct. Even though it must be slang, in PR we call it a Guayo. But it is the grater you see here. They have made there a machine for making pasteles, which they have told me is made from the engine of a washing machine!!! I know of some one here who asked for one from a relative there, he got it sent here and he is making alcapurrias with it . Don't know if you know what this is , but it is a very Puerto Rican nicety!!
Yes, I know what they are! And they are delicious. Do you know how that machine can be located? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:11 AM

41 posts, read 200,411 times
Default Guayo

HI, if you would like a machine to make the alcapurias or the pasteles you would have to contact a local "artesano" or a PR novelty shop sometimes they have the machine available. Over here they used to sell the machine in a store called the kitchen shop I know becuse my grandfather used to make them and sold it to local shops. Try looking into the classifieds in the local newspaper ™ El Nuevo Día If you need any help don't hesitate in contacting me. best of luck! gato

Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 PM

Thanks a lot, Gato.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 10,109 times
Default Electric Guayo

Hi All,

I just made over 150 pasteles yesterday with my mom, cousin and two daughters, its a family affair . I was ready to make them by hand, as we always do...and my mom surprised my with an electric guayo she borrowed from her neighbor. It was really cool!!! It was a pressure cooker converted into what looked like a giant food processor with a handmade grater attached to the bottom of the pressure cooker inside and the moter was welded to the bottom of the pressure cooker.

We put the whole (peeled) veggies into a pvc pipe built into the pressure cooker lid. It took us all of 15 minutes to grate approx. 40 pounds of vianda for the masa. I was amazed!!!!

From what i can find you can only buy these in puerto rico and they can run anywhere from $150 to $300, but I did find a website that makes an attachment for a black and decker food processor ($30 at walmart) and this guayo looks just like the one that was in the pressure cooker guayo we used yesterday. Heres the link: [URL]http://www.masaperfecta.mybisi.com[/URL]

I am going to order one and buy the food processor from walmart because its alot cheaper and like i said before it looks exactly like what we used yesterday.

Happy Holidays and Good Eats!
Jacqui

Last edited by jacquiwillard; 11-23-2008 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: forgot link to website

Old 11-26-2008, 07:35 PM

Default Jacquiwillard

Thanks a lot. I will give it a try. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:22 AM

171 posts, read 621,978 times
Default We bought this set from MasaPerfecta the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquiwillard View Post
Hi All,

I just made over 150 pasteles yesterday with my mom, cousin and two daughters, its a family affair . I was ready to make them by hand, as we always do...and my mom surprised my with an electric guayo she borrowed from her neighbor. It was really cool!!! It was a pressure cooker converted into what looked like a giant food processor with a handmade grater attached to the bottom of the pressure cooker inside and the moter was welded to the bottom of the pressure cooker.

We put the whole (peeled) veggies into a pvc pipe built into the pressure cooker lid. It took us all of 15 minutes to grate approx. 40 pounds of vianda for the masa. I was amazed!!!!

From what i can find you can only buy these in puerto rico and they can run anywhere from $150 to $300, but I did find a website that makes an attachment for a black and decker food processor ($30 at walmart) and this guayo looks just like the one that was in the pressure cooker guayo we used yesterday. Heres the link: Masa Perfecta for pasteles and alcapurias

I am going to order one and buy the food processor from walmart because its alot cheaper and like i said before it looks exactly like what we used yesterday.

Happy Holidays and Good Eats!
Jacqui
from Walmart. Everything worked great and now we have loads of pasteles.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:55 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,766 times
The time for pasteles and other niceties has arrived!

Old 12-05-2010, 02:06 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,946 times
Default Annie of Oldsmar

I am going to be visiting Ibor City, in Tampa, in February. Any good restaurants that you can recommend? Thank you, Annie,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories