U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,521,617 times

Advertisements

Hi, there Puerto Ricans: My husband is a gringo that loves PASTELES DE MASA, and I want to make him these dumplings. I made them about 8 years' ago, with a hand grater, and it took me forever, plus I grated my fingers, along with it. Yautias, platanos, y guineos are large/heavy vegetables that need a very good grinder. I have a very good food processor, but it does not do the job right, because the grinder is for cheese, carrots, and small items. I looked all over the internet, even under restaurant supplies, and was not able to find it in the CONUS. And I even looked at the web site for El Colmadito, from Puerto Rico, with no luck. My friends tell me that on the island, they have special equipment for them. Can the good people of Puerto Rico guide me to the right sources. Muchas Gracias y ADELANTE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 03:02 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,658,627 times
Have you tried a hand operated meat grinder? That's what some folks used in the Virgin Islands...might be worth a try...

Old 04-01-2008, 09:14 PM

239 posts, read 815,461 times
Ive always seen a box grater used, the side that looks like someone punched holes in it from the inside- forgive me but I'm not quite savvy when it comes to those specific culinary terms!!! Is that the rallador? I'm fluent in Spanish, but dont know that word!

Ive always seen it done one-by-one and by hand...

Old 04-01-2008, 09:21 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,691,452 times
I'd be interested in reading about alternatives because "la masa" does not taste the same when it's grated by a food processor versus a hand grinder. It is tough work...In our family, the men help with this step of the process

Old 04-02-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Have you tried a hand operated meat grinder? That's what some folks used in the Virgin Islands...might be worth a try...
EXCELLENT THOUGHT, I will try it and see.....thanks,

Old 04-02-2008, 08:06 PM

Smile Rayadera

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
Ive always seen a box grater used, the side that looks like someone punched holes in it from the inside- forgive me but I'm not quite savvy when it comes to those specific culinary terms!!! Is that the rallador? I'm fluent in Spanish, but dont know that word!

That word is "NEWYORRICAN." The correct word is "rayadera,", an instrument used for grating, from the verb "rallar," to grate. Thanks for forcing me to use the dictionary, ShannaCT.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post

Not necessarily, Shanna, my friends from Puerto Rico, tell me that there is an electric version of a ''RAYADERA,'' that has been made by folks on the island, for this purpose, unfortunately, noone has thought of getting a patent on it, for distribution to the masses. Maybe after this, somebody will.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:37 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,541,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Hi, there Puerto Ricans: My husband is a gringo that loves PASTELES DE MASA, and I want to make him these dumplings. I made them about 8 years' ago, with a hand grater, and it took me forever, plus I grated my fingers, along with it. Yautias, platanos, y guineos are large/heavy vegetables that need a very good grinder. I have a very good food processor, but it does not do the job right, because the grinder is for cheese, carrots, and small items. I looked all over the internet, even under restaurant supplies, and was not able to find it in the CONUS. And I even looked at the web site for El Colmadito, from Puerto Rico, with no luck. My friends tell me that on the island, they have special equipment for them. Can the good people of Puerto Rico guide me to the right sources. Muchas Gracias y ADELANTE!
I'm not from the Island but my ricans friends in Navarre call it a GUALLO...

Last edited by sunrico90; 04-04-2008 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: edited post

Old 04-05-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
I'm not from the Island but my ricans friends in Navarre call it a GUALLO...
You are right, Sunrico, many people call it a guallo, but the dictionary has other words for it. I guess "guallo," maybe a slang word for it. By the way, I love Navarre, I think it has one of the most beautiful beaches/sand I have ever seen! I love that bridge inside the water. If it wasn't for the hurricanes, I will move there. Tell me, do they have lots of Puerto Ricans/Hispanics there? I met a few Cubans only.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:48 PM

4,533 posts, read 6,780,235 times
Sunrico is correct. Even though it must be slang, in PR we call it a Guayo. But it is the grater you see here. They have made there a machine for making pasteles, which they have told me is made from the engine of a washing machine!!! I know of some one here who asked for one from a relative there, he got it sent here and he is making alcapurrias with it . Don't know if you know what this is , but it is a very Puerto Rican nicety!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or