Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2020, 09:00 PM

109 posts, read 99,109 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Puerto Rico, but have been living in Boston for 13 years. I love Massachusetts. I have found in this state opportunities that I would never have had in Puerto Rico. It is a liberal, progressive stronghold, and the most college-educated state in the nation. I came from Puerto Rico with a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education, and later obtained a Master's in School Counseling in Boston.

My passion is working for social justice causes like improving literacy in low income communities, affordable housing, affordable healthcare, fair immigration reform, LGBTQ rights, black lives matter, among other causes. I actually work as a community organizer for low income communities, and Spanish interpreter in public schools. In addition, I serve as a board member of a non-profit affordable housing developer.

I was recently admitted to the School of Theology at Boston University, and got a merit scholarship award based on my community leadership. The award covers full tuition, an annual stipend for all my years of studies, and a signing bonus for the first year. I am so excited and grateful!

I miss the tropics, but returning to Puerto Rico after my graduation is not an option. The main reason is that quality of life in Puerto Rico has deteriorated too much during the time I have been in the states, and the high crime rate. I went to the island in 2018 after five years of not going, and my sister was hysterical telling me: "Be careful, don't walk alone at night, don't go there or over there..." She told me that I was already used to the safety of the states and Puerto Rico was not the same place that I left 13 years ago anymore. Well, I did not enjoy my visit after so many precautions.

Is quality of life so deteriorated in the Virgin Islands? I know the whole Caribbean is experiencing a spike in crime and violence due to drug trafficking. Puerto Rico is not the only island affected, but... is the situation in Virgin Islands as bad as in Puerto Rico? I have been considering a move to the Virgin Islands after graduation, but would like to get more information. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 02:15 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
If moving to the Virgin Islands becomes a non-option for you, consider California. Although it's not the tropics, the weather is fair to hot most of the times depending on what part of the state one is in. Spanish speaking professionals in your field are probably in demand.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2020, 01:50 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
If moving to the Virgin Islands becomes a non-option for you, consider California. Although it's not the tropics, the weather is fair to hot most of the times depending on what part of the state one is in. Spanish speaking professionals in your field are probably in demand.

Good luck!
I would not recommend CA due to the COL and political climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories