Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 10:54 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,003,810 times

Advertisements

Is there a flow of people between PR & Dominican Republic?

I saw there is a ferry between PR & DR...does that mean there is a flow of people going back and forth? Or is it fairly one-sided, PR/US going to visit DR, but visa-wise a bit harder the other way?

How many posters on here have taken the ferry to PR? Are there also reasonable-priced planes between the two as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 11:19 AM

1,546 posts, read 3,005,249 times
There definitely is, but it´s evolved over the years. For a long time Puerto Rico was seen as a land of opportunity for Dominicans, and if I´m not mistaken it was in the 1980s that people started risking their lives by crossing the deep, shark-infested Mona Passage in wooden yolas to get from the DR to the west coast of Puerto Rico, and from there get jobs, housing, and maybe eventually legal documentation which could get them to the US Mainland if they so chose. I met a few living on both sides who had made the voyage...it´s not an easy one, people die in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ZxdR0pWIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKBDEhBHgF8

The appeal of this has lessened over the years with the DR´s economic successes, Puerto Rico´s economic harships, and increased immigration enforcement (probably in that particular order of importance). Over the last 5 years or so, there´s been a small but visible reverse trend, not just of many Dominicans returning home, but of some Puerto Ricans taking professional jobs in the Dominican Republic.

Dominicans have made their mark on the island though. It´s easiest to see in San Juan. I feel like every other taxi driver there is Dominican, there are Dominican-owned businesses like restaurants, of course there are many mixed marriages as well. You even have US Citizens of Dominican ancestry who move to PR to be able to easily visit family and friends, feel close to home culturally, but still keep the benefits of the US system.

When I lived in Puerto Rico I remember there was a ferry line called Ferries del Caribe I believe...I´m not sure if it still operates. They had a small cruise-sized ship leaving some days from San Juan and others from Mayaguez, all to Santo Domingo. Some of my friends had taken the ferry years before that, with some other company, and they said it was pretty awful. It takes 12 hours I believe, and at least years ago with the old company it dropped passengers in a not so great area of Santo Domingo. I was told that a lot of needy kids would congregate and desperately try to get "un pesito" from passengers, or maybe try to offer something like a tour, restaurant, etc.

I didn´t seem to meet a lot of Dominican tourists in PR, but maybe I wasn´t in the right place at the right time. Puerto Ricans taking trips to Punta Cana were similar to Mainlanders going to Cancún, only it´s quicker and cheaper for Boricuas to do.

Nowadays there´s not much reason to not hop on a flight from SJU to get to places like Santiago, Santo Domingo and Punta Cana. It might be cheaper or the same price as the ferry, and it´s clearly much shorter and more comfortable.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:02 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,003,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
There definitely is, but it´s evolved over the years. For a long time Puerto Rico was seen as a land of opportunity for Dominicans, and if I´m not mistaken it was in the 1980s that people started risking their lives by crossing the deep, shark-infested Mona Passage in wooden yolas to get from the DR to the west coast of Puerto Rico, and from there get jobs, housing, and maybe eventually legal documentation which could get them to the US Mainland if they so chose. I met a few living on both sides who had made the voyage...it´s not an easy one, people die in the process.

The appeal of this has lessened over the years with the DR´s economic successes, Puerto Rico´s economic harships, and increased immigration enforcement (probably in that particular order of importance). Over the last 5 years or so, there´s been a small but visible reverse trend, not just of many Dominicans returning home, but of some Puerto Ricans taking professional jobs in the Dominican Republic.

Dominicans have made their mark on the island though. It´s easiest to see in San Juan. I feel like every other taxi driver there is Dominican, there are Dominican-owned businesses like restaurants, of course there are many mixed marriages as well. You even have US Citizens of Dominican ancestry who move to PR to be able to easily visit family and friends, feel close to home culturally, but still keep the benefits of the US system.

When I lived in Puerto Rico I remember there was a ferry line called Ferries del Caribe I believe...I´m not sure if it still operates. They had a small cruise-sized ship leaving some days from San Juan and others from Mayaguez, all to Santo Domingo. Some of my friends had taken the ferry years before that, with some other company, and they said it was pretty awful. It takes 12 hours I believe, and at least years ago with the old company it dropped passengers in a not so great area of Santo Domingo. I was told that a lot of needy kids would congregate and desperately try to get "un pesito" from passengers, or maybe try to offer something like a tour, restaurant, etc.

I didn´t seem to meet a lot of Dominican tourists in PR, but maybe I wasn´t in the right place at the right time. Puerto Ricans taking trips to Punta Cana were similar to Mainlanders going to Cancún, only it´s quicker and cheaper for Boricuas to do.

Nowadays there´s not much reason to not hop on a flight from SJU to get to places like Santiago, Santo Domingo and Punta Cana. It might be cheaper or the same price as the ferry, and it´s clearly much shorter and more comfortable.
Pretty cool for sharing all of that. I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories